What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Philadelphia 1993
Guy gets fired for having AIDS and subsequently sues his former employers.
Tom Hanks and Denzel Washington are great.
Wouldn’t get made nowadays tbh. Someone would be offended by the many anti gay slurs.
Take it you haven't watched It's A Sin?

The Seance 2021

I'm really missing the mark with my film choices! Utter guff. What started as a very poor ghost story quickly degenerated further into a very, very poor whodunnit come slasher film. And, in a story populated by the oldest schoolgirls since Please Sir, it finishes with an end sequence that defies belief. 

Avoid.

The Meg. 

Isolated oceanic research station (only a couple of hours sailing from a busy tourist beach though). Deep water submersibles. One dimensinal stock characters. Massive shark. Big budget. 

Had to stop myself saying "but that doesn't make any sense" at least 30 times. That's just the plot, the "science" is the funniest since The Core. 

Jason Statham was actually quite engaging and most of the support cast were decent. 

It was fairly good fun but in the end just too stupid to really enjoy. 

6/10

1 hour ago, Woodrow said:

Then you should definitely watch it! The movie is great. If you like her, I'll also recommend you Roman Holiday, perfect one. 

And yes, you can watch it on Netflix.

Think I've probably seen all of her films and while she's great with her style and beauty in romantic comedies I also thought she was really good in more serious roles like The Children's Hour and The Nun's Story. I know she went on to do a lot of humanitarian work so looking forward to seeing that part of her life in the documentary.

Edited by JustOneCornetto

LA Confidential (1997)

Yeah I've seen it before but that doesn't diminish its brilliance on repeat.

Brutally robbed at the Oscars by Titanic despite career best performances by James Cromwell, Guy Pierce, Kim Basinger and even , arguably, by Kevin Spacey and Russell Crowe (despite their subsequent Oscar wins)), it's a  magnificent depiction of 50's LA with both its land of opportunity vibe tempered with anyone will do anything to get ahead.

Chuck in police corruption and those within the police who are incorruptible and it's a tremendously enjoyable 2 and a quarter hours.

Army of the Dead (2021) dir. Zack Snyder

The world’s biggest himbo director has done it again. A deeply stupid but fun movie with big Dave Batista in the main role being class. Lots of fun performances in this if you switch your brain off and enjoy the nonsense.

7/10

No Country for Old Men (2007) dir. Coen Brothers

Superb. Having watched this and Fargo S1 it’s apparent that the Coens are great at selling a force of nature that come into unassuming people’s lives and force them to try and rise to meet the occasion. The climax of the movie, deliberately underwhelming, makes the movie for me. So good.

9/10

Polaroid

Another great choice by me. This film is one entire "played out trope"!

For instance the policeman who is a goodie but is figured to be bad... but he really is a goodie, or where the characters hear noises and not only go into the basement but also the attic, and also the dead man's house.

In the hospital, there is the obligatory old man is stumbling through the corridor and there are no staff whatsoever.

Its in the category "so bad its bad so totally avoid"

Utter dirge doesn't do it justice.

To sum up... keech.

Snowpiercer (2013)

I had already watched the series so thought I'd give the film a watch. Obviously more condensed and not as many sub plots as the series but plenty of action and a few interesting characters including Tilda Swinton who was really good although I did not even know it was her until I saw the credits. Probably would have given it a 7 if I hadn't seen the series but instead I'll give it 

6/10

Spoiler

the core

Utterly enjoyable nonsense about a motley crew of scientists and astronauts who travel to the core of the earth to re-start it after it stops. The cast is superb (Aaron Eckhart, Stanley Tucci, Delroy Lindo, the boy from Das Boot and the wonderful Hilary Swank) which disguises (almost) the thin plot.

Worth watching for the cast alone. And I pure fancy Hilary Swank, so there is that.

7/10.

On 26/05/2021 at 18:06, 54_and_counting said:

The unholy

Went to the cinema for this one, went in expecting it to be shite so pleasantly surprised that it was better than average, good jumpy horror even if the twist is pretty obvious, 

7/10

You are at the wind up! Arguably the worst film ive ever watched. The only reason i made it to the end was that id already invested the first 45 mins of my time and hoped it couldnt get any worse. Unfortunately i was wrong

Massive plot holes, horrendous acting and woeful CGI as well as what appeared to be Teletubbies appearing in the sky😂 

1/10

Few films since the cinemas reopened

Judas and the black panthers 6/10

Strange film as it follows a deeply unpopular figure and tells the story of a cult hero from his point of view. Think Billy Elliot from Thatcher's view point. But still an interesting period of American history just felt it could have been done in a far better way.

Never Give In (SAF) 9/10

On the cusp of a ten, but it's a fantastic biopic about the great man, more about him and a love letter to his wife and family and what drives him than about football, but it's excellent. Highly recommend.