What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

A couple of the editing choices literally made me burst out laughing. The blood spatter one was a real highlight. One of my favourite bits of the movie.

I actually thought Wyatt Russell turned in a decent performance. His was the only one I bought into. Amy Adams was TERRIBLE which surprised me.

2 minutes ago, Andre Drazen said:

A couple of the editing choices literally made me burst out laughing. The blood spatter one was a real highlight. One of my favourite bits of the movie.

I actually thought Wyatt Russell turned in a decent performance. His was the only one I bought into. Amy Adams was TERRIBLE which surprised me.

The editing was choppy as f**k and the pace really suffered as a result I think.
That's fair enough actually Russell I will give pass marks to, but Adams and Oldman should be collecting Razzies for their performances here.

House III: The Horror Show (Blu-Ray) - improbably successful serial killer (Brion James) is caught by troubled cop Lance Henriksen and executed, only to somehow return and haunt his nemesis. One of those sequels that has nothing to do with the others in the series, and was clearly made to be a standalone release.

This was one of the first films I saw on the fledgling Sky Movies channel, back when it was actually worth paying for (although this isn't the best advertisement). Produced by Sean "Friday the 13th" Cunningham, it's a film that takes a lot of inspiration from his old mate Wes Craven's films, like Nightmare on Elm Street and Shocker, and tries its hardest to be as gruesome as mainstream US cinema was allowed to get at the time.

The effect is that the film is unintentionally goofy as f**k, with a rollicking OTT performance from Brion James, quality support from an absolutely ripped Henriksen (who spends half the film topless, with light glinting off his rippling, muscled torso), and perhaps the most annoying teenage boy character this side of The Visit. Nice work from actors like Dedee Pfeiffer too, whose character is raped off-camera at one point and seemingly gets over it really fast like it ain't no thang.

It's not a good film, but solid gold if you're a fan of daft horror with plenty of laughs (intentional and otherwise). Lot of fun revisiting it with BigFatTabbyBoy, who noticed that there are gay undertones to the whole thing, which adds an extra level when you watch it assuming that Brion James is just trying to eliminate everything stopping him from getting in to sexy Lance Henriksen's pants.

Fiddler on the Roof

Epic musical about a Jewish man in early 20th Century Ukraine who is torn between the wishes of his family and the traditions of his faith. 

This is really well acted and entertaining. 

9/10

Fiddler on the Roof
Epic musical about a Jewish man in early 20th Century Ukraine who is torn between the wishes of his family and the traditions of his faith. 
9/10
Absolutely love this. A proper musical, with a proper overture, and even an interval. I can only think this was as an attempt to make a night at the cinema as like a night at the theatre as possible. Oliver! has the same set up - and is also a great musical. They've both been on my by box for over a year, as even just having the songs on in the background makes the day better. Tradition!

6 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Shaun the Sheep in Farmageddon. Don't judge me. I love the Aardman studio's output, and this is one of their best. Just delightful from start to finish. (Amazon Prime Video) Nine from me.

Both Shaun the Sheep movies are an absolute delight. 

I've no idea about Shaun the Sheep, but I'll admit that I enjoyed the wean's Timmy Time phase, which I believe is related to StS.

The last couple of Timmy Time DVDs may have been purchased after he'd started to grow out of it  :bag

What's this now?
Farmer comes back from sales with a couple of llamas with split personalities, and much hilarity ensues, often at Bitzer's expense.
(Spoiler Alert) our woolly hero sorts it out in the end.
ETA: there's actually three of the camelid pranksters.

1 hour ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:
2 hours ago, Paul Kersey said:
Fiddler on the Roof
9/10

Absolutely love this. A proper musical, with a proper overture, and even an interval. I can only think this was as an attempt to make a night at the cinema as like a night at the theatre as possible. Oliver! has the same set up - and is also a great musical. They've both been on my by box for over a year, as even just having the songs on in the background makes the day better. Tradition!

It was the first time that I'd seen it. The three hours just flew in. Like you say the music is good and it has made me want to check out some authentic Klezmer music.

The only other film that I can think of with an intermission is Tora Tora Tora. It works well there, kinda builds up the tension before Pearl Harbour is attacked.

Edited by Paul Kersey

John Wick (2014) dir. Chad Staheiski

Chad's directing chads here. Tons of fun. This movie gets that it's not the privileged boss who is the most hateable person but their idiot fail-child and who better to play him than the biggest and easiest instinctively hate tosser, Alfie Allen? 

9/10

Ma (2019)

Octavia Spencer plays Sue Ann (Ma) Ellington, a vet assistant and fucking mentalist who befriends some teenagers who she illegally buys booze for and then invites them to her house for a place to drink and party.

It turns out she knows all their parents and was in school with them.  They treated her like shit so she plans to lure her old schoolmate's children to her house, fill them with booze, and gradually murder them.  Flashbacks show she had a thing for Ben, who didn't reciprocate and once tricked Ma into giving the class geek a blowie, Ma thinking she was giving one to Ben, one of the teenagers dads, and Ben find out, via a tracker on a work van that his son uses, that his son is one of the teenagers who has been frequenting Ma's for parties.  He tricks her into going for a drink with him and then presents her with the tracker and asks why his son has been at her house and to stay away from him and his son.

This infuriates Ma so she throws a birthday party for one of them and injects them all with a tranquilizer, including Ben who comes to her house to confront her after he see's his son's van is at her house. She goes to castrate Ben but decides against it and just slits his wrist and leaves him to die.  She then either tortures or kills the teenagers but the main character, Maggie, is saved by Ma's ill daughter when she hears screaming, knocks Ma out, and releases all the hostages who escape as the house is engulfed in flames.  Instead of escaping herself, Ma goes and lies beside Ben's corpse and dies as the house burns to the ground.

A decent film overall, Spencer is superb and it's quite an original story, some of the acting is a bit suspect but I'd give it 8 pon 10.

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

Ma (2019)

Octavia Spencer plays Sue Ann (Ma) Ellington, a vet assistant and fucking mentalist who befriends some teenagers who she illegally buys booze for and then invites them to her house for a place to drink and party.

It turns out she knows all their parents and was in school with them.  They treated her like shit so she plans to lure her old schoolmate's children to her house, fill them with booze, and gradually murder them.  Flashbacks show she had a thing for Ben, who didn't reciprocate and once tricked Ma into giving the class geek a blowie, Ma thinking she was giving one to Ben, one of the teenagers dads, and Ben find out, via a tracker on a work van that his son uses, that his son is one of the teenagers who has been frequenting Ma's for parties.  He tricks her into going for a drink with him and then presents her with the tracker and asks why his son has been at her house and to stay away from him and his son.

This infuriates Ma so she throws a birthday party for one of them and injects them all with a tranquilizer, including Ben who comes to her house to confront her after he see's his son's van is at her house. She goes to castrate Ben but decides against it and just slits his wrist and leaves him to die.  She then either tortures or kills the teenagers but the main character, Maggie, is saved by Ma's ill daughter when she hears screaming, knocks Ma out, and releases all the hostages who escape as the house is engulfed in flames.  Instead of escaping herself, Ma goes and lies beside Ben's corpse and dies as the house burns to the ground.

A decent film overall, Spencer is superb and it's quite an original story, some of the acting is a bit suspect but I'd give it 8 pon 10.

I've watched this a few times and like you thought it was a good film, well worth checking out