What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

House III: The Horror Show (Blu-Ray) - improbably successful serial killer (Brion James) is caught by troubled cop Lance Henriksen and executed, only to somehow return and haunt his nemesis. One of those sequels that has nothing to do with the others in the series, and was clearly made to be a standalone release.
This was one of the first films I saw on the fledgling Sky Movies channel, back when it was actually worth paying for (although this isn't the best advertisement). Produced by Sean "Friday the 13th" Cunningham, it's a film that takes a lot of inspiration from his old mate Wes Craven's films, like Nightmare on Elm Street and Shocker, and tries its hardest to be as gruesome as mainstream US cinema was allowed to get at the time.
The effect is that the film is unintentionally goofy as f**k, with a rollicking OTT performance from Brion James, quality support from an absolutely ripped Henriksen (who spends half the film topless, with light glinting off his rippling, muscled torso), and perhaps the most annoying teenage boy character this side of The Visit. Nice work from actors like Dedee Pfeiffer too, whose character is raped off-camera at one point and seemingly gets over it really fast like it ain't no thang.
It's not a good film, but solid gold if you're a fan of daft horror with plenty of laughs (intentional and otherwise). Lot of fun revisiting it with BigFatTabbyBoy, who noticed that there are gay undertones to the whole thing, which adds an extra level when you watch it assuming that Brion James is just trying to eliminate everything stopping him from getting in to sexy Lance Henriksen's pants.
I remember being terrified of these films as a child but they were brilliant. Assuming it's the same franchise anyway. All I seem to remember is a Vietnam soldier stalking him down the stairs with a grenade stuck in his ribs?

7 hours ago, dysartrovers said:
On 16/05/2021 at 10:07, BFTD said:
House III: The Horror Show (Blu-Ray) - improbably successful serial killer (Brion James) is caught by troubled cop Lance Henriksen and executed, only to somehow return and haunt his nemesis. One of those sequels that has nothing to do with the others in the series, and was clearly made to be a standalone release.
This was one of the first films I saw on the fledgling Sky Movies channel, back when it was actually worth paying for (although this isn't the best advertisement). Produced by Sean "Friday the 13th" Cunningham, it's a film that takes a lot of inspiration from his old mate Wes Craven's films, like Nightmare on Elm Street and Shocker, and tries its hardest to be as gruesome as mainstream US cinema was allowed to get at the time.
The effect is that the film is unintentionally goofy as f**k, with a rollicking OTT performance from Brion James, quality support from an absolutely ripped Henriksen (who spends half the film topless, with light glinting off his rippling, muscled torso), and perhaps the most annoying teenage boy character this side of The Visit. Nice work from actors like Dedee Pfeiffer too, whose character is raped off-camera at one point and seemingly gets over it really fast like it ain't no thang.
It's not a good film, but solid gold if you're a fan of daft horror with plenty of laughs (intentional and otherwise). Lot of fun revisiting it with BigFatTabbyBoy, who noticed that there are gay undertones to the whole thing, which adds an extra level when you watch it assuming that Brion James is just trying to eliminate everything stopping him from getting in to sexy Lance Henriksen's pants.

I remember being terrified of these films as a child but they were brilliant. Assuming it's the same franchise anyway. All I seem to remember is a Vietnam soldier stalking him down the stairs with a grenade stuck in his ribs?

Been about thirty years but, aye, I remember House 1 & 2 being weird and a bit creepy. Pretty much all I remember is the Vietnam vet going nuts; isn't there an Evil Dead 2-style scene where the furnishings spring to life?

Anyway, House 3 isn't even notionally related to them. No idea about House 4

John Wick Chapter Two (2017) Chad Stahelski

Chad is directing more chads. I think this might actually be better than the first one. The plot seems more straightforward and is a full showcase of everyone’s talent from the actors to the stunt team to the choreography and visual effects. This movie is stunning and is just flexing because it can.

As an aside it’s deeply funny to me how stylish, cool and flash this movie is juxtaposed against how grimly exhausted Keanu Reeves is as John Wick. He just comes across as being fully not arsed and done with it as he effortlessly mows down hundreds of goons.

This movie is hilarious and I would say belongs in the same category as Mad Max in class action movies that buck a general trend of marked decline.

9/10

Went to the cinema for the first time since October to see Those Who Wish Me Dead. It was pretty surreal (in a bad way) due to trying to be a gritty action flick which ended up feeling really artsy because of a fucking bizarre script that was weak on everything. I didn't know anyone's name and forgot anything that happened in the previous scene - someone was pregnant and another guy was an orphan so I suppose that's character? My memory of it is fading with each letter I write.

Essentially just an hour and forty minute trailer.

22 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Philadelphia 1993

Guy gets fired for having AIDS and subsequently sues his former employers.

Tom Hanks and Denzel Washington are great.

Wouldn’t get made nowadays tbh. Someone would be offended by the many anti gay slurs.

Great film but a horrendous bit of nonsense to suggest it wouldn't get made these days. Total 'yer da' bullshit.

Went to the cinema for the first time since October to see Those Who Wish Me Dead. It was pretty surreal (in a bad way) due to trying to be a gritty action flick which ended up feeling really artsy because of a fucking bizarre script that was weak on everything. I didn't know anyone's name and forgot anything that happened in the previous scene - someone was pregnant and another guy was an orphan so I suppose that's character? My memory of it is fading with each letter I write.

Essentially just an hour and forty minute trailer.
Watched this last weekend. I thought it was decent enough but more of a straight to DVD/Blu-ray type movie.

8 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Great film but a horrendous bit of nonsense to suggest it wouldn't get made these days. Total 'yer da' bullshit.

You think they’d make a movie with such rampant constant homophobia?

Joe Miller : [gradually raising his voice]  are you gay?, You know a faggot?, A, a punk, a fruit, a queen, a fairy a booby snatcher, rump roaster, pillow biter, ARE YOU GAY?

2 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Joe Miller : [gradually raising his voice]  are you gay?, You know a faggot?, A, a punk, a fruit, a queen, a fairy a booby snatcher, rump roaster, pillow biter, ARE YOU GAY?

Yes. Why on earth wouldn't they? 

Of course it would. The only difference would be it would have to be set in that era rather than today's. If someone used that language and homosexuality as an excuse to sack someone today their feet wouldn't touch the ground and the person wouldn't need to go to court to win a case.