What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Three Identical Strangers (Blu-Ray) - a young man arrives for his first day at college and is bemused to discover that everyone already knows him. Then things get progressively weirder and more horrifying.

Excellent documentary that deserves to be seen without spoilers. I came to it completely cold, and it's an onion that eventually reveals a depressingly unsurprising conclusion, but it's quite the journey to get there.

Spoiler

If anyone still wonders how the Nazis could have pursued their aims so successfully, this gives a nice primer. Ordinary people just doing their jobs, manipulating other people's entire lives, but feeling that their part isn't important, or that they should have used their knowledge to intervene in any way.

People in positions of authority have been revealed to dabble in this shit for longer than any of us have been alive, with absolutely no apologies or repercussions, and it's incredibly naive to think that we're not still being used as guinea pigs without even being aware of it.

1 hour ago, BFTD said:
Three Identical Strangers (Blu-Ray) - a young man arrives for his first day at college and is bemused to discover that everyone already knows him. Then things get progressively weirder and more horrifying.
Excellent documentary that deserves to be seen without spoilers. I came to it completely cold, and it's an onion that eventually reveals a depressingly unsurprising conclusion, but it's quite the journey to get there.
Spoiler

If anyone still wonders how the Nazis could have pursued their aims so successfully, this gives a nice primer. Ordinary people just doing their jobs, manipulating other people's entire lives, but feeling that their part isn't important, or that they should have used their knowledge to intervene in any way.
People in positions of authority have been revealed to dabble in this shit for longer than any of us have been alive, with absolutely no apologies or repercussions, and it's incredibly naive to think that we're not still being used as guinea pigs without even being aware of it.

Yeah watched it on Netflix last year,really well made documentary and pretty disturbing background to the story.

Edited by JustOneCornetto

The Endless (DVD) - after receiving an enigmatic farewell video in the mail, two adult brothers make a road trip to visit the site of the doomsday cult in which they were raised.

Knew nothing about this going in, and was pleasantly surprised. It's a nice eerie low budget mystery that makes the most of what it has, and gradually reveals what's going on while still leaving plenty for the viewer to decide. There are definite Lovecraft and Harlan Ellison influences, and the whole thing appears to have been written and directed by the two leads, which is all the more impressive. A very nice film that would likely have had any subtlety beaten out of it with bigger-budget studio involvement, and I think it'll bear repeated viewings.

Only just found out that some of the characters and a scene from this film came from a prior movie from the same people, Resolution, so that's going on the watch list.

On 08/05/2021 at 17:22, Saigon Raider said:

The Mitchell's Vs The Machines (Netflix)

The whole family loved this. Proper laugh out loud funny with a really touching story behind it all. It's the best thing I have seen in ages, highly recommended.

I'll echo that. Just a really well done movie and really fresh animated elements put into it  The furby scene was sensational. 

Baby Driver (2017) dir. Edgar Wright

Vibes for days and a lot of fun even if it's all very surface deep. Big ups to Epstein associate Kevin Spacey in what must be one of his last ever substantial roles.

7/10

Edited by NotThePars

Jiu Jitsu

Nonsensical garbage wiht kung fu aliens for reasons I guess? How did Grillo, Cage and Jaa agree to this pile of shite? Utterly rotten and the fights are crap.

2/10

The Beach Bum directed by Harmony Korine. 

Matthew McCounaghey plays a drunk stoner poet married to super rich, super hot Isla Fisher who stumbles through life getting wasted and never facing any consequences. It's a Trump era movie about the excesses of White American Boomers who have slept walked into fairly obscene wealth.  It's shot in the same kind of musical montage style as Spring Breakers but it's much more ambivalent about the action. There are good comedy set pieces with Zac Efron and Martin Lawrence plus Snoop Dogg is extremely funny. 

I've been looking at reviews and online reaction and it seems to have done the Starship Troopers stunt of a large proportion of viewers missing the fact that it's a satire. 

Zabriskie Point directed by Michelangelo Antonini. 

Apparently one of the biggest flops of all time and while it was a good watch it's hard to believe this was a big budget movie. It starts off as political drama about leftist students planning an uprising and the opening scene features Black Panther Kathleen Cleaver. It then abandons that plot and becomes a trippy counter culture film a bit like the commune scene in Easy Rider. Neither of the two leads were professional actors but they are both excellent. The female lead later married Dennis Hopper and the male lead died in prison after robbing a bank to attempt to fund a movie he would star in. 

Sausage Party

I don't know if it is a really dreadful film that was so bad I enjoyed it OR it was a fantastic film that I enjoyed! 

If you like your comedy with more innuendo than a PnB thread, this is for you.

The orgy near the end absolutely had my jaw hitting the floor in astonishment. 

Sausage Party
I don't know if it is a really dreadful film that was so bad I enjoyed it OR it was a fantastic film that I enjoyed! 
If you like your comedy with more innuendo than a PnB thread, this is for you.
The orgy near the end absolutely had my jaw hitting the floor in astonishment. 

I thought it was brilliant then again I’ve got a puerile imagination.

Just watched 'Rules of Engagement"... a USA military/courtroom drama from 2001, surprisingly a film ive never got round to watching before despite it being one of the genre of films that appeals to me and includes a stellar cast, Samuel L Jackson, Tommy Lee Jones are fantastic as always and Guy Pearce is excellent as the intensely dislikeable prosecution lawyer.

A very enjoyable watch, not too sure it has enough of a 'wow' factor that it would make my list of films I can watch several times over, possibly because it does feel a bit like you are watching essentially a remake of A Few Good Men, just with a different cast and a few storyline tweaks... SLJ comes close to Jack Nicholson's 'You can't handle the truth' courtroom explosion when pushed to the limit by Guy Pearce, much in the way Tom Cruise does, this is clearly deliberately scripted and feels a bit cliched and obvious, although the two actors execute the scene brilliantly though truth be told. 

8/10 a very enjoyable, riveting watch but just falls a wee bit short of all time classic for me  

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016) dir. Gareth Edwards

Rewatched this for the first time since I saw it in the cinema and it's still class. A good old-fashioned war movie where a cast of characters get introduced, pull off an improbable suicide mission and die at the end. The insurgency scenes in the middle are better than any number of crap Iraq War movies and the big hurrah at the end manages to establish stakes and provide enough excitement despite it being a foregone conclusion. The movie also does a lot to characterise Vader more effectively as a brooding, angry and malicious figure in about 5 minutes of screen-time as well as having a movie villain who finally has a relatable motivation namely his desperation to get that employee of the month award. Had to laugh at how quickly it all gets wrapped up though. Wham bam thank you ma'am in about 5-10 minutes at the end complete with another dodgy CGI insert. 

Maybe once enough of the nerds learn to wrap it and the stink from Rise of Skywalker dissipates we might get another decent Star Wars movie like this. 

8/10

46 minutes ago, sfha said:

Woman in the window

A Netflix effort, starting off as a kind of Rear Window remake, in reality a hotchpotch of multiple film plots that crashes into a mess.

There's a moment at the start where Rear Window is actually on a screen and it's never good for me to start from a position of "f**k this movie".

The Woman in the Window is complete and utter dross which draws (unsuccessfully) from about 5 different films. However the thing that struck me most about it was just how weird and off everything seemed.
Not one actor puts in a good performance, every interaction on screen is full of weird hammy dialogue, facial expressions  and characters just acting completely bizarre. It must be something to do with the edits because some sections of dialogue/interaction just seem to completely stop or change direction without any warning.
The plot is just meh, the pacing all over the place and I understand that Anna is supposed to be dealing with serious psychological issues, but at times she acts like the most stupid person in the world. For instance, when somewhat inexplicably everyone is in her house at one point, it is revealed she went into her own basement where her tenant was living which leads to the obvious question of "why were you down there?" and instead of telling the literal truth "I was looking for my cat and heard a meow from down there" she says nothing at all, weird. This wasn't the only instance of stupid behaviour from her.
And don't get me started on Ethan and his terrible acting and bizarre interactions with Anna near the start of the film.
Also what was with the female detective being a complete and utter c**t for absolutely no reason to Anna from the moment they first interacted.

Edited by Mr. Brightside