What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

The Lego Movie 2

8/10

Very amusing stuff again. So many good jokes. I absolutely love these Lego movies. Wee bit of emotion in there too.

As always there is an insanely catchy soundtrack too.

14 hours ago, Detournement said:

I had a 70s America double bill the last few nights. 

First up was California Split which I had never seen before about a pair of gamblers in Los Angeles. It's an incredibly fun movie to watch and Elliot Gould is incredible. It's the happy side of 70s America, it's sunny, everyone is drinking and smoking and everyone is constantly talking shite and enjoying it. The ending was superb and highlighted what I've experienced myself in that when you gamble too much there is no emotional difference between winning and losing. The high disappears. 

Next was an all time classic in Dog Day Afternoon with Al Pacino and John Cazale. I saw this in the 90s on the BBC and it's as good as I remember. Pacino is incredible and the scenes when he is outside the bank arguing with the fat cop and hyping up the crowd are electric. Brooklyn is the opposite of California Split as everyone looks exhausted and unhealthy and the place looks like it's crumbling.  The fact it's based on a true story is nuts, America seems to have went absolutely insane from the JFK murder, Vietnam and LSD right up until Reagan was elected and repressed everything. There was obviously still a lot of bad shit going on but they made some incredible music, books and movies. 

DDA is phenomenal, such brilliant acting based on a true, albeit barely believable story. Part of John Cazale's five movie oeuvre where all five were nominated for the Oscar for Best Picture.

On 30/04/2021 at 23:26, Stormzy said:

I worked at the local council for 6 months and my favourite person was deaf. Lovely lady, probably the only person in there that actually spent their day working and she gave me a lift home one time when there was loads of snow. 

Miles???

maxresdefault (2).jpeg

Ip Man Kung Fu Master (2019)

Another reboot of the Ip Man franchise. There were about 6 storylines, none of which made sense nor were they entertaining. The fight choreography was poor and was mostly slomo close ups. Even the stock drunken master character managed to be dull (and looked like a man in his forties with grey sprayed on his hair).  Nationalism was always present in the Ip Man story as it starts with the Japanese invading China. This one goes way over the top with China good, Japan bad and even has a scene with a crowd punching the air chanting Chi-na! Chi-na! Chi-na! 

Some good looking set peices and some good performances. But the tone was all over the place. Comedy moments with swannee whistles ffs. 

Best avoided 3/10

The Devil all the Time

A King-esque film, similar to 1922. A bum numbing 2 hrs 18 mins long but like King's best adaptations you are drawn in. Robert Pattison brilliantly plays the obnoxious preacher in a Mitchum style.

7/10

Taken 2

Having seen the first one about a decade ago, I don't know how it took me this long to watch the follow up. Not much to it in terms of plot. Big bad Albanians want revenge for all the dead slavers from the first film and go after Liam Neeson.

Enjoyable watch. The way he breaks down his location is pretty cool, although Neeson just can't shake the Irish from his accent every time he has to raise his voice above a gentle whisper. He also looks every bit the 60 year old he was at the time during the fight scenes which are fairly clunky. Still not sure how he killed a couple of guys in it. Basically squashed their faces from what I can gather. The chase scene on foot is quite funny also as Neeson hobbles about while the Albanian baddy sprints full pelt yet still doesn't catch him.

I realise I'm being quite harsh. It's entertaining enough which is all you want really. Not a patch on the first although that may not have been as good as I recall it being when I was 16.

On 30/04/2021 at 22:38, Pato said:

The Sound of Metal.

Riz Ahmed plays a drummer in a metal band who goes deaf. Very affecting performance, he appears every bit as the man just about holding it together throughout. I had a good friend who was deaf and who took their own life, I never could understand why at the time, but this film goes some way to showing how hard it can be.

9/10

I’ve two friends who are profoundly deaf yet are two of the most positive and creative people I’ve ever met. I too struggle to understand how they overcome that disability. It’s amazing how some people can thrive and survive despite such challenges. A friend of mine lost both legs through diabetes in the last year, but he always has a smile on his face. I’m not sure I could deal with that. 

I plan to watch this movie very soon. 

13 hours ago, paul-r-cfc said:

Taken 2

Having seen the first one about a decade ago, I don't know how it took me this long to watch the follow up. Not much to it in terms of plot. Big bad Albanians want revenge for all the dead slavers from the first film and go after Liam Neeson.

Enjoyable watch. The way he breaks down his location is pretty cool, although Neeson just can't shake the Irish from his accent every time he has to raise his voice above a gentle whisper. He also looks every bit the 60 year old he was at the time during the fight scenes which are fairly clunky. Still not sure how he killed a couple of guys in it. Basically squashed their faces from what I can gather. The chase scene on foot is quite funny also as Neeson hobbles about while the Albanian baddy sprints full pelt yet still doesn't catch him.

I realise I'm being quite harsh. It's entertaining enough which is all you want really. Not a patch on the first although that may not have been as good as I recall it being when I was 16.

I was a proper grown up when i saw the first one and thought it was ok but nothing special. Surprised it got a sequel. 

On 30/04/2021 at 20:04, NotThePars said:

First Class and Days of Future Past were great. Every one where Jean Grey is a main character is bad. That's my take.

Whenever I hear X-Men First Class, this is the immediate image that comes to mind.

yf83oyn3zqn01.jpg

On 22/04/2021 at 22:20, tongue_tied_danny said:

Under The Skin

Scarlett Johansson is an alien who is on a mission to rid the world of shell suited Glaswegians.

A very slow moving film but I found it mesmerising. Johansson puts in an amazing performance as the other worldly creature who is fascinated by the world around her. She also looks far sexier than usual with her black hair and cheap Primark attire.

I watched it a few hours ago and I can't stop thinking about it. Under The Skin indeed.

8/10

Saw it at the cinema when it came out. Mesmerising. Not sure if any significance but she looks like she was styled on Mick Jagger in Performance.

Ghost World - Thora Birch is a cynical teenager who is struggling with growing up and dragging her best friend Scarlett Johansson down with her. They play a cruel prank on Steve Buscemi who plays a lonely older man and Birch becomes obsessed with him. It's an entertaining movie up to a point but it seemed to shite out of resolving any of the plots. 

The Battle of Algiers - Absolutely incredible. An unsentimental depiction of the FLN terror campaign for Algerian independence in the city of Algiers in the 1950s. We see the FLN go from killing members of the security services to Pied Noir civilians and correspondingly the French colonial regime increasing their use of torture and repression to destroy the FLN leadership. It mainly uses non actors so it seems incredibly real. I had tears in my eyes near the end. 

Tremors

This is one of those which had been on my radar for some time. Finally watched it earlier and I'm glad that I did. Outstanding stuff. Couldn't move along any smoother and the entire feel of the thing is just perfect. Love this.

9/10

27 minutes ago, Andre Drazen said:

Tremors

This is one of those which had been on my radar for some time. Finally watched it earlier and I'm glad that I did. Outstanding stuff. Couldn't move along any smoother and the entire feel of the thing is just perfect. Love this.

9/10

Watched it recently for the first time in probably ten years and it was just as good. Brilliant fun.

20 hours ago, Andre Drazen said:

Tremors

9/10

I haven't seen this for decades! Graboids! Love it.

4 minutes ago, sfha said:

I haven't seen this for decades! Graboids! Love it.

Actually watched the second one. Not BAD really, but just nowhere near. But if the rest of the 74 sequels are of that standard, I'll be content.