What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

On 22/04/2021 at 22:20, tongue_tied_danny said:

Under The Skin

Scarlett Johansson is an alien who is on a mission to rid the world of shell suited Glaswegians.

I'd have watched this years ago if I'd seen that synopsis at the time.

Promising Young Woman 

Wasn't sure before watching this, if only as it's directed by the Sister in law of John Robins, who I usually love but has spent a lot of time on the podcast recently talking about Fennell as if she's some plucky underdog. Her father is an eton graduate turned master jewelry designer, and her mother an author. She went to Marlborough college and oxford, after which I'm sure her family introduced her to some lovely people in the industry. 

Annoyingly, it's pretty good. Mulligan is probably the best I've seen her perform, and Burnham is the pick of a good supporting cast. It's funny and uncomfortable and you can tell Fennell has worked with Waller-Bridge in the past. The ending is very odd and implausible but otherwise really good film. 

Edited by Genuine Hibs Fan

3 hours ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Promising Young Woman 

Wasn't sure before watching this, if only as it's directed by the Sister in law of John Robins, who I usually love but has spent a lot of time on the podcast recently talking about Fennell as if she's some plucky underdog. Her father is an eton graduate turned master jewelry designer, and her mother an author. She went to Marlborough college and oxford, after which I'm sure her family introduced her to some lovely people in the industry. 

Annoyingly, it's pretty good. Mulligan is probably the best I've seen her perform, and Burnham is the pick of a good supporting cast. It's funny and uncomfortable and you can tell Fennell has worked with Waller-Bridge in the past. The ending is very odd and implausible but otherwise really good film. 

The message it gives at the end is really, really bizarre and feels dissonant with all the breathless reviews.

On 22/04/2021 at 22:20, tongue_tied_danny said:

Under The Skin

Scarlett Johansson is an alien who is on a mission to rid the world of shell suited Glaswegians.

A very slow moving film but I found it mesmerising. Johansson puts in an amazing performance as the other worldly creature who is fascinated by the world around her. She also looks far sexier than usual with her black hair and cheap Primark attire.

I watched it a few hours ago and I can't stop thinking about it. Under The Skin indeed.

8/10

The beach scene is horrific.

The bus driver is incredible. 

Nomadland (2020)

Now I like slow movies. Even the ones that move along, glacier-like I can find satisfying.

However (puffs cheeks and exhales slowly), woman who worked for company which has closed their manufacturing plant moves around the country in a van which is also her home. She takes menial jobs and forms fleeting relationships with strangers, some of whom are also nomadic and she bumps into them at the next parking lot along the way.

That's it, there's nothing deeper. It's more like a documentary as McDormand and Strathairn (the pimp in LA Confidential and Carmela's bit of fluff in the Sopranos) seem to be the only actors; almost every other cast member "plays" someone with their own given name.

Best Picture, Director and Best Actress Oscars? Emperor's New Clothes time again.

The Vanished

Little psychological thriller that's quite decent. Basically, a husband and wife take their daughter on an RV camping trip and end up at a beautiful resort that's full of shady characters. The daughter then goes missing and the police are called in. Has a lot of nods to The Shining with some of the camera work, naming the female character Wendy and with some of the dialogue. Jason Patric does a real good turn as the local police officer. I watched it twice (once with the missus and once it was just on in the background) and it's surprisingly layered with lots of clues to what's going on that you'd never pick up on, on first watch. Reminded me ever so slightly of Three Billboards in terms of the vibe. It's nowhere near that level, naturally.

Decent little time passer. Nothing special, but worth a watch on Netflix.

6.5/10.

The Amazing Spider-Man (2012)

I had avoided this as it came hot on the heels of the Tobey Maguire trilogy and at the time wondered why they were rebooting it so soon after these. So the kids picked this and I watched it. It was exactly as enjoyable as I expected. Bitten by a spider, gets new powers, fights a baddie, has a love interest. Really not much difference between this and the movies from 10 years earlier.

5/10

The Father

This film was absolutely brilliant. Not in the way it's a gripping story or a modern day classic but it portrays Dementia so well. There's a lot of subtly that you might miss such as set changes but the way they've done it shows they've put in a lot of research into the disease. They've produced an accurate and respectful representation of Dementia. It's been done in such a way that the viewer is confused and frustrated throughout the film which is exactly how it must feel for someone with the disease. They've managed to let you see the world through Anthony's eyes quite often.

For anyone who's had a family member with Dementia you'll appreciate this film in a bittersweet kind of way. For anyone who doesn't know much about it/has someone who is going through it it's a great film to watch for some insight.

A brilliant performance from Hopkins as usual. Thoroughly deserving of his Oscar.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

The Father

This film was absolutely brilliant. Not in the way it's a gripping story or a modern day classic but it portrays Dementia so well. There's a lot of subtly that you might miss such as set changes but the way they've done it shows they've put in a lot of research into the disease. They've produced an accurate and respectful representation of Dementia. It's been done in such a way that the viewer is confused and frustrated throughout the film which is exactly how it must feel for someone with the disease. They've managed to let you see the world through Anthony's eyes quite often.

For anyone who's had a family member with Dementia you'll appreciate this film in a bittersweet kind of way. For anyone who doesn't know much about it/has someone who is going through it it's a great film to watch for some insight.

A brilliant performance from Hopkins as usual. Thoroughly deserving of his Oscar.

Not seen this yet although it's on my list. From the trailers i've seen it does remind me of my mums last 10 years before losing her last year at 100!!

4 hours ago, Pato said:

Dunno if its myth or not but I'd heard that there is quite a short time limit on the rights to spiderman so they have to keep cranking out films or they lose it, which is about the best explanation I can understand for why they keep making new ones with different actors every couple of years

It's something like one film every 5 years, although there is a current agreement for 2 more live action films (No Way Home and a team-up), which will be poduced by Disney/Marvel, but Sony will have final say on the use of the characters.

It seems long term that they will come to some sort of agreement for Disney to make the live action ones while Sony churn out the Spider-verse animations.

Watched all the X-Men films in a row in the past week. 

First few were good but it began to lose the run of itself as a series somewhere in the final third. Can't fault the production quality or effort they've gone to. 

Deadpool was good tho. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

Watched all the X-Men films in a row in the past week. 

First few were good but it began to lose the run of itself as a series somewhere in the final third. Can't fault the production quality or effort they've gone to. 

Deadpool was good tho. 

First Class and Days of Future Past were great. Every one where Jean Grey is a main character is bad. That's my take.

48 minutes ago, Pato said:

The Sound of Metal.

Riz Ahmed plays a drummer in a metal band who goes deaf. Very affecting performance, he appears every bit as the man just about holding it together throughout. I had a good friend who was deaf and who took their own life, I never could understand why at the time, but this film goes some way to showing how hard it can be.

9/10

Is it based on a true story? 

Sorry about your friend. It's always tragic when anybody takes their own life. 

I worked at the local council for 6 months and my favourite person was deaf. Lovely lady, probably the only person in there that actually spent their day working and she gave me a lift home one time when there was loads of snow. 

It's definitely one of those things that I can barely imagine how hard it must be to live with on a daily basis. The continuous minor adjustments you need to make just to be listened to seems exhausting to me. I think everyone should be taught basic sign language at school. 

We all know Rashford is the biggest political icon of the last few years but before he was advising the Tories on policy I must say I was really impressed with the story about how he learned sign language during lockdown to communicate with some deaf fans. 

Edited by Stormzy

I had a 70s America double bill the last few nights. 

First up was California Split which I had never seen before about a pair of gamblers in Los Angeles. It's an incredibly fun movie to watch and Elliot Gould is incredible. It's the happy side of 70s America, it's sunny, everyone is drinking and smoking and everyone is constantly talking shite and enjoying it. The ending was superb and highlighted what I've experienced myself in that when you gamble too much there is no emotional difference between winning and losing. The high disappears. 

Next was an all time classic in Dog Day Afternoon with Al Pacino and John Cazale. I saw this in the 90s on the BBC and it's as good as I remember. Pacino is incredible and the scenes when he is outside the bank arguing with the fat cop and hyping up the crowd are electric. Brooklyn is the opposite of California Split as everyone looks exhausted and unhealthy and the place looks like it's crumbling.  The fact it's based on a true story is nuts, America seems to have went absolutely insane from the JFK murder, Vietnam and LSD right up until Reagan was elected and repressed everything. There was obviously still a lot of bad shit going on but they made some incredible music, books and movies. 

Edited by Detournement

17 hours ago, Pato said:

Dunno if its myth or not but I'd heard that there is quite a short time limit on the rights to spiderman so they have to keep cranking out films or they lose it, which is about the best explanation I can understand for why they keep making new ones with different actors every couple of years

There's been as many Batmans as Spidermans, no?

They just need to keep the money rolling in.  

10 hours ago, Detournement said:

I had a 70s America double bill the last few nights. 

First up was California Split which I had never seen before about a pair of gamblers in Los Angeles. It's an incredibly fun movie to watch and Elliot Gould is incredible. It's the happy side of 70s America, it's sunny, everyone is drinking and smoking and everyone is constantly talking shite and enjoying it. The ending was superb and highlighted what I've experienced myself in that when you gamble too much there is no emotional difference between winning and losing. The high disappears. 

Next was an all time classic in Dog Day Afternoon with Al Pacino and John Cazale. I saw this in the 90s on the BBC and it's as good as I remember. Pacino is incredible and the scenes when he is outside the bank arguing with the fat cop and hyping up the crowd are electric. Brooklyn is the opposite of California Split as everyone looks exhausted and unhealthy and the place looks like it's crumbling.  The fact it's based on a true story is nuts, America seems to have went absolutely insane from the JFK murder, Vietnam and LSD right up until Reagan was elected and repressed everything. There was obviously still a lot of bad shit going on but they made some incredible music, books and movies. 

Dog Day Afternoon is superb.

I've never seen California Split, but I do like Elliott Gould so I am going to seek that out.