What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

18 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

In all seriousness, I'm a big fan of his Tommy Lee Jones impression in Men in Black 3.

He's just very good in everything tbh.

His standard day in the office is an all timer for most. Which is why his standout performances are as spectacular as they are.

Men in Black 3 is a more than worthy sequel btw.

Annie Hall 1977

When I was a teenager in the late 70s /early 80s and not being an especially handsome fellow, I reckoned the best way to attract women was to make them laugh. This was mostly inspired by Woody Allen films such as Play It Again Sam, Manhattan and Annie Hall; I mean if a wee ugly Jewish guy could do it, right? And I genuinely did love those films when they came out.

Anyway, I decided to watch Annie Hall again tonight. Allen basically plays his real-life self, a neurotic Jewish comedian. Diane Keaton is the eponymous love interest and Allen regular Tony Roberts (did he ever appear in any films which weren't Allen's?) hangs around to pad out the "story".

And what is the story? Allen reflecting on the last 15 years where he met the flighty Keaton, decided she wasn't intellectual enough for him, dumped her, had meaningless sex in empty relationships then realised that he wanted Keaton after all.

It has some snappy dialogue, "hey don't knock masturbation, it's sex with someone I love" but even though it won the Oscar for Best Picture, I feel it really is an example of the movie equivalent of The Emperor's New Clothes.

It's notable for giving a slew of relatively unknown actors their first role (Sigourney Weaver) or bit parts (Christopher Walken, Jeff Goldblum, Shelley Duvall, Shelley Hack) and that, I think, is the best thing about it.

42 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Annie Hall 1977

When I was a teenager in the late 70s /early 80s and not being an especially handsome fellow, I reckoned the best way to attract women was to make them laugh. This was mostly inspired by Woody Allen films such as Play It Again Sam, Manhattan and Annie Hall; I mean if a wee ugly Jewish guy could do it, right? And I genuinely did love those films when they came out.

Anyway, I decided to watch Annie Hall again tonight. Allen basically plays his real-life self, a neurotic Jewish comedian. Diane Keaton is the eponymous love interest and Allen regular Tony Roberts (did he ever appear in any films which weren't Allen's?) hangs around to pad out the "story".

And what is the story? Allen reflecting on the last 15 years where he met the flighty Keaton, decided she wasn't intellectual enough for him, dumped her, had meaningless sex in empty relationships then realised that he wanted Keaton after all.

It has some snappy dialogue, "hey don't knock masturbation, it's sex with someone I love" but even though it won the Oscar for Best Picture, I feel it really is an example of the movie equivalent of The Emperor's New Clothes.

It's notable for giving a slew of relatively unknown actors their first role (Sigourney Weaver) or bit parts (Christopher Walken, Jeff Goldblum, Shelley Duvall, Shelley Hack) and that, I think, is the best thing about it.

Yeah, I'd agree with that. It was hyped up at the time, and to be honest, I quite enjoyed it at the time. But it has not aged well. 

Sexy Beast

Ray Winston is a reluctant crook living a quiet life on the Costa Del Crime and Sir Ben Kingsley is the psychotic hoodlum who tries to coax him out of retirement for one last caper.

An excellent film and Kingsley us very convincing as the psycho nutjob.

8/10

Edited by tongue_tied_danny

Today, the TV channels were given over to the Royal Funeral. On some obscure SKY channel they were showing Hot Shots. Can't remember when I laughed so much. 

Tonight myself and Mrs Grumpy watched Hot Shots Part Deux.  The formula for these Airplane type films is a laugh every 10 seconds and it works. Utter genius.

4 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Sexy Beast

Ray Winston is a reluctant crook living a quiet life on the Costa Del Crime and Sir Ben Kingsley is the psychotic hoodlum who tries to coax him out of retirement for one last caper.

An excellent film and Kingsley us very convincing as the psycho nutjib.

8/10

Saw 'Ghandi' before I saw 'Sexy Beast' and was genuinely mystified as to how Ben Kingsley could play both characters convincingly. He did though. 

Just now, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

Saw 'Ghandi' before I saw 'Sexy Beast' and was genuinely mystified as to how Ben Kingsley could play both characters convincingly. He did though. 

Laurence Olivier played both a Nazi Death Camp Doctor (Marathon Man) and a Jewish Nazi hunter (The Boys from Brazil).

Now that's acting!!!

Two this week, and a bit of variety..

Promising Young Woman - Carey Mulligan revenge flick. Workmanlike rather than exceptional, but some good wee jinks in the plot as we go along. 7/10

Whisky Galore! (2016). I had npo idea they had remade this, and my first thought was "Why?", not in the slightest changed when I saw Eddie Izzard and Gregor Fisher high up ijn the cast list. Now, I'm prepared to get pelters for this, but I really enjoyed this. Modern actors and colour notwithstanding, the film retains the gentle innocence of the original, and was a more than acceptable way to pass an hour and a half or so. I'm giving it 7/10, largely due to it confounding my expectations, and also for having a couple of really funny moments. Nah, fúck it, 8/10. 

On 16/04/2021 at 22:53, Arch Stanton said:

Mississippi Burning (1988)

Loosely based on the true story of the murder of civil rights activists, Willem Dafoe and the always brilliant Gene Hackman play FBI agents tasked with investigating their disappearance. Dafoe is lead investigator but inexperienced, Hackman is not only from Mississippi but used to be Sheriff of a town just like Shiloh.

A tremendous ensemble cast of Frances McDormand, Brad Dourif, R. Lee Ermey, Michael Rooker and Stephen Tobolowsky and direction by Alan Parker keep things moving at a cracking pace right up to the very downbeat ending.

I dug this out and watched it tonight for the first time in about 20 years. 

It really is excellent.

Nobody (2021) dir. Ilya Naishuller

Bob Odenkirk is John Wick. That's it. That's the movie. 

This will get artificially inflated because it will be a lot of people's first movie back in the cinema but it's bang average. 

5/10

Under The Skin

Scarlett Johansson is an alien who is on a mission to rid the world of shell suited Glaswegians.

A very slow moving film but I found it mesmerising. Johansson puts in an amazing performance as the other worldly creature who is fascinated by the world around her. She also looks far sexier than usual with her black hair and cheap Primark attire.

I watched it a few hours ago and I can't stop thinking about it. Under The Skin indeed.

8/10

Under The Skin
Scarlett Johansson is an alien who is on a mission to rid the world of shell suited Glaswegians.
A very slow moving film but I found it mesmerising. Johansson puts in an amazing performance as the other worldly creature who is fascinated by the world around her. She also looks far sexier than usual with her black hair and cheap Primark attire.
I watched it a few hours ago and I can't stop thinking about it. Under The Skin indeed.
8/10

Great film. I’d like to watch it again, which screening platform did you see it on?

Killer Joe

A young ne'er do well hires an evil cop to murder his mother in order to claim an insurance pay out to clear his drug debts 

Let's just say that that the whole escapade doesn't go according to plan.

I like the blue collar, trailer trash setting and Matthew McConaughey is suitably scary as the sadistic killer. There's a couple of pretty nasty scenes but the whole film is laced with dark, tongue in cheek humour.

8/10