What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Given that nearly every remake of a classic gets panned you have to wonder at the logic in producers persistently taking such a decision, I'm genuinely struggling to think of one that was anywhere near decent apart from maybe Red Dragon which was a remake of Manhunter. 

The version of The Thing a few years ago with Mary Elizabeth Winstead in the Kurt Russell role was alright but as for any others.....nothing leaps out at me.

4 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Given that nearly every remake of a classic gets panned you have to wonder at the logic in producers persistently taking such a decision, I'm genuinely struggling to think of one that was anywhere near decent apart from maybe Red Dragon which was a remake of Manhunter. 

The version of The Thing a few years ago with Mary Elizabeth Winstead in the Kurt Russell role was alright but as for any others.....nothing leaps out at me.

I'm going to get pelters for saying this.... but I prefer the American remake of Old boy to the original.

42 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

I hate that film as they spent hours making some really cool prosthetics then cut them for cheap ass CGI at the last minute.

9 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

"It.  The Terror from Outer Space" was a little bit silly and especially the monster.

The remake was a lot better.   Better known as "Alien".

17 hours ago, Comrie said:

Ginger

Fights. Guns. Drugs. Naked girls. Naked girls on drugs fighting with guns. It's poorly made exploitation.

3/10

Any hints or tips on how to sell this to the missus as a chick flick would be greatly appreciated. 

Isn't that a prequel instead of a direct remake? At the end the dog escapes and they're trying to kill it from the chopper which is the start of the first film.

4 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Any hints or tips on how to sell this to the missus as a chick flick would be greatly appreciated. 

I can't. It's just too racist and crap.

• I suppose the weirdest remake decision would be to do a new version of an unsuccessful, poorly-made film that nevertheless had some interesting ideas, seeing as how that's probably the only type that could justifiably be done, but never are.
  • I quite liked The Thing (2011), but it was a prequel to the remake. It just happened to be made during that period when every film in an old series was desperate to remind the audience of the original film(s) at every possible opportunity. The decision to CGI up the prosthetics was indeed dreadful, and it's a pity we'll likely never see a version with the original effects as it wasn't much of a success.
  • American Oldboy was awful. Here's a video that discusses why. Any fan of the original that hasn't seen Spike Lee's film: get your face in your hands now. Apologies for the guy's staggeringly annoying voice.

Spoiler

• @scottsdad - I managed to sneak Big Tits Zombie and Nude Nuns with Big Guns past the wife, so I'm sure you'll be fine!

Oh, the The Thing (2011) effects crew crowdfunded a cheapo horror film called Inanimate (here, Harbinger Down in the US) to demonstrate their skills in practical monster effects after their work was painted over. Can't remember much about the effects but, unfortunately, the film itself was a bit pish.

The Dig (Netflix)

Story of the excavation of an Anglo-Saxon grave at Sutton Hoo in Norfolk on the brink of WWII.

Nice film that tells the story of Basil Brown who led the excavation initially but received no credit for it during his life. Some good performances, particularly from Ralph Fiennes and Carey Mulagan. If you don't greet at the scene late on where the wee boy is telling his mum a space story then you don't have a heart.

Would recommend.

Josh Brolin put in a couple of stunning performances in two terrible movies. Jonah Hex and Oldboy. It was almost as if he was single handedly challenging himself to turn shit into good. He failed of course, but those were definitely among his best performances. 

25 minutes ago, Andre Drazen said:

Josh Brolin put in a couple of stunning performances in two terrible movies. Jonah Hex and Oldboy. It was almost as if he was single handedly challenging himself to turn shit into good. He failed of course, but those were definitely among his best performances. 

He's also excellent in No Country for Old Men.

Spoiler

And The Goonies.

Mississippi Burning (1988)

Loosely based on the true story of the murder of civil rights activists, Willem Dafoe and the always brilliant Gene Hackman play FBI agents tasked with investigating their disappearance. Dafoe is lead investigator but inexperienced, Hackman is not only from Mississippi but used to be Sheriff of a town just like Shiloh.

A tremendous ensemble cast of Frances McDormand, Brad Dourif, R. Lee Ermey, Michael Rooker and Stephen Tobolowsky and direction by Alan Parker keep things moving at a cracking pace right up to the very downbeat ending.