What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Blade of the immortal

Supernatural Samurai revenge thriller with a lot of violence. 

Never quite got to the bottom of it really but lots of baddies died. Stuff about honour, codes loyalty with buckets of Kensington gore and colourful level bosses with a properly drawn big boss. I haven't seen the manga series but really enjoyed this. 

8/10

Good Time (2017) dir. Safdie Brothers

This is far more claustrophobic an experience than Uncut Gems which is more vibrantly insane but f**k this is good. Robert Pattinson’s a differently intense kind of stupid New York guy to Adam Sandler which nearly didn’t work for me but he’s superb in this role and Oneohtrix Point Never’s soundtrack is terrific in adding to the tension.

Great movie but one that feels like it was a messier demo to the classic that is Uncut Gems.

8/10

Finally watched Uncut Gems. Feel like I’m about to have a heart attack, and can’t decide if I loved or hated it. Leaning towards loved it but fucking hell.

Haha aye it's a roller coaster. That's why it's so good.

The GBX anthem at the end is like having the adrenaline shot from Pulp Fiction fired into you. I don’t think any other tune could’ve been more apt for releasing the tension I was feeling at the end of that movie.

On 25/03/2021 at 18:32, JustOneCornetto said:

1922 (2017)

A Stephen King horror with an Edgar Allen Poe 'Tell Tale Heart' feel to it about a farmer who decides to kill his wife, with the help of his teenage son, so that he can keep the land she has inherited. Shortly after the deed is done strange and supernatural things start happening and lots of rats feature in those events.

7/10

When Stephen King's novels are made into a film they are either very good or very bad. 1922 is definitely the former.

American Beauty

Only the second time to have watched this and the first time I watched it I was nightshift so maybe wasn't 100% alert as I didn't get all the fuss.

I have to say I feel pretty similar having watched it the second time. It's a good film and the guy's breakdown is very well portrayed by the b.east formerly known as Kevin Spacey but it doesn't grab me as much as it seems to others. The score was fantastic (as Thomas Newman's work generally always is) but for me it's a sham that this beat The Green Mile to Best Picture (I'd probably have had Cider House Rules ahead of it as well tbh). When I have my inevitable midlife crisis I might appreciate it more.

3 hours ago, Biscuits said:

Uncut Gems

Decided to see what all the fuss was about. Holy f**k - I need a lie down.

Watched it again today and the whiplashes in the last half hour still left me sweating.

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

American Beauty

Only the second time to have watched this and the first time I watched it I was nightshift so maybe wasn't 100% alert as I didn't get all the fuss.

I have to say I feel pretty similar having watched it the second time. It's a good film and the guy's breakdown is very well portrayed by the b.east formerly known as Kevin Spacey but it doesn't grab me as much as it seems to others. The score was fantastic (as Thomas Newman's work generally always is) but for me it's a sham that this beat The Green Mile to Best Picture (I'd probably have had Cider House Rules ahead of it as well tbh). When I have my inevitable midlife crisis I might appreciate it more.

There about a dozen films better than any of those three from 1999.

Being John Malkovich, Eyes Wide Shut, Magnolia, Girl Interrupted, The Insider, Election, Matrix, Fight Club, Office Space, Run Lola Run, Summer of Sam, Straight Story, Any Given Sunday, 8mm.

It was a crazily good year for American cinema.

Edited by Detournement

On 31/03/2021 at 13:29, Andre Drazen said:

Godzilla vs. Kong

Oh yes. First off... the battles. EASILY the best ones so far. Especially the massive climatic one from the title. There's more use of music here, but it's all pretty well done. Found it a little odd at first, but the mood was well set. The humans probably worked like they should. As one big exposition dump to set up whatever's about to happen next with the titans. I'll be going extremely high with this, because it delivered pretty much exactly what I wanted it to deliver, and did so with gusto.

9/10

Saw that this is now available on Prime.

Thought I would give it a watch this Saturday evening. Then I saw that it's £15.99 to rent.

When Stephen King's novels are made into a film they are either very good or very bad. 1922 is definitely the former.
Strangely, like The Green Mile and Stand By Me, 1922 is based on a short story/novella rather than a full length novel. Not sure what that proves, other than the man can pack a lot into each page, and enough for a quality film into a hundred or so pages. I'm a massive fan of the fella.

There about a dozen films better than any of those three from 1999.
Being John Malkovich, Eyes Wide Shut, Magnolia, Girl Interrupted, The Insider, Election, Matrix, Fight Club, Office Space, Run Lola Run, Summer of Sam, Straight Story, Any Given Sunday, 8mm.
It was a crazily good year for American cinema.
I've only watched Fight Club and The Matrix from that list so can't compare them. Though I prefer The Green Mile to those two. I think if I absolutely had to pick one then The Green Mile would probably be my favourite ever film though. Darabont directing and Newman on score is a brilliant combination for me (see also Shawshank).

I've enjoyed the work of Darabont and wonder why he doesn't direct more often tbh.

Cast Away

9/10

Just a marvellous movie. We've all seen it, we all know what it's about.

I'm very fond on how flexible the meaning can be to the viewer. Don't let anyone tell you that your version is wrong.

Arrival (2016) dir. Denis Villeneuve

Stupid plot, dodgy politics involving the Chinese and Russians, and Jeremy Renner aside this was pretty good. Villeneuve is great at setting an atmosphere and the aliens are class. Every scene directly involving them is a 10/10 and every one not involving them is bad. 

Soundtrack is decent.

7/10 

Edited by NotThePars

On 01/04/2021 at 14:45, sfha said:

I agree.  Langoliers was awful.  The mini-series for 11.22.63 was great.

Run (2020)

Sarah Paulson at her creepy deranged best as she plays a mother who homeschools her wheelchair bound daughter Chloe who also has several other medical conditions. The daughter is very bright and hopes to get accepted for University but she starts to have nagging doubts about her mother's behaviour before finding a dark and sinister secret she's been hiding from her. Lots of plotholes but the film keeps you on edge and good performances from Paulson and in particular Kiera Allen who plays Chloe. There's also a nice wee twist right at the very end.

7/10