What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Coming 2 America

After being pleasantly surprised at Eddie Murphy’s last streaming film.. Dolomite, on Netflix, we thought we’d give this the benefit of the doubt. Lasted about 10 minutes. Switched off.

Wonder Woman

Slept through the last hour. Had got the gist. The male lead, Chris Pine?, made for painful viewing. Like Matt Damon from Team America but without the acting ability.

The Acid House

Just put this on to show Mrs Par some now-departed bits of Edinburgh but she watched it all. Think the film has aged well. Suppose it’s a period drama now. The stories are the strongest part, let down a bit by budget and special effects. After watching some of It’s a Sin recently, it struck me that producers and directors should go back to films like this to see how people looked and spoke. Life didn’t look and sound like Hollyoaks in the 80s and 90s. 

Saint Maud 

What a pile of w**k. Billed as a horror but barely a bit of horror in it. The best way to describe it is 82 minutes of watching a young woman gradually go through a complete mental breakdown and psychotic episode

To add to the above which I posted as I started to watch it, still no ragrets but holy shit that film is so stupid. Enjoyable because it's a little bit funny yet mostly just absurd, I don't know if it's sincere, if it is then it's so bad but if it's not then it could be top drawer. The ending is just so so strange.

Death To 2020 

Caught this on Netflix, a satirical look back at 2020 done in style of a mockumentary. Enjoyed it with some really funny moments and piss taking. It's pretty short at just over an hour and has lots of familiar actors putting in good performances.

7.5/10

Edited by JustOneCornetto

Bad Ben.

Made on a shoestring budget, even for a found footage film, I've read somewhere it cost all of $300! 

This film is so bad it's good, it has to be seen to be believed and I'll definitely be watching the rest of the series!

Salt  - Angelina Jolie  , in a role that was originally meant for Tom Cruise before he dropped out   , stars as a woman who goes on the run after she's accused of being a Russian spy . Action packed thriller that rattles along at a fair old pace . Support comes from Liev Schreiber . Decent enough stuff 8/10 

The Lighthouse - two-hander set in the 19th century about an old-hand lighthouse keeper (Willem Dafoe) and his new short-term apprentice (Robert Pattinson) who arrives on the island to undertake the menial chores, only for things to begin going awry.

This was really impressive. Filmed in black & white, and shot in an old-fashioned aspect ratio that's slightly taller than it is wide, it's a film that really benefits from the lack of colour and the crisp monochrome visuals. There are some really visually striking images and scenes throughout, and it features a very good score that's just constantly brooding away in the background, underscoring that things aren't right.

Willem Dafoe is excellent as the old seaman, chucking himself right into the role and disappearing into a wild-eyed, mercurial salty dog who is part pirate and part something else. I was reminded of Shadow of the Vampire in how he sinks into the part, only there's no makeup to hide behind here. It's his film, but only just, as Robert Pattinson gives as good as he gets and his performance impresses more as the film goes on.

It's hard to discuss the plot, what there is, without giving away too much, but it's basically a dark drama about the effects of isolation and heavy drinking; there's a point where it's mentioned that imbibing alcohol is forbidden, and we find out why. You can also read all sorts of supernatural themes into it should you choose, and you wouldn't be wrong; it's all about interpretation. It's not the kind of film with twists and turns, and there's no big surprise at the end, although I found the final shot oddly fitting and wasn't disappointed, as you can often be by this kind of film.

It absolutely won't be for everyone, but if it sounds like your cup of tea, I can wholeheartedly recommend pulling up a comfy chair in front of the telly (the picture will be quite small) and turning off the lights to enjoy the searing visuals and impressive performances, as it requires your full attention. Turn off the fucking phone  :P

Extract 

6/10

This was an Amazon Prime film. Came across it randomly and when I saw the cast (Jason Bateman, Kristen Wiig, JK Simmons, Ben Affleck, Mila Kunis) I thought it had to be decent.

Instead it was...meh. Bateman is the owner of an extract plant. Wiig is his wife and they have martial issues. Kunis is a scammer. 

I suppose it was a comedy, but it was fairly middling stuff.

This is a Mike Judge film (Office Space), and I can see some of that, but not enough.

Edited by DA Baracus

Bad Words

8/10

More Jason Bateman and more Amazon Prime.

Bateman is a 40 year old who uses a loophole to complete in spelling bees for kids.

Very amusing film. Whilst it's technically shot in colour, the vast majority of those colours for the vast majority of the film are brown/beige/orange and green, with reds and blues being rare(r) and deliberate deviations.

Would recommend.

The Matrix Trilogy.

Watched the 3 of these recently as id only ever seen the first one when it released and never bothered with the sequels.

First one still stands up and is an interesting mix of philosophy and action full of iconic lines and sequences.

2 & 3 are abysmal, might as well have been Michael Bay films. Story makes no sense, no characterisation and it's just endless bland action sequences.

Utter pish, can't believe there's another one on the way.

Cherry

New Tom Holland film. A young man meets the love of his life but risks losing her by making some bad life changing decisions. This results in his life spiralling out of control through crime and drugs and his girlfriends too. The story while dark is very good and Holland puts in a great performance as Cherry. Also the young woman who plays his girlfriend Emily nails her role too.
At 2 hrs, 20 mins it's a long one but broken down into four different chapters of his life.

8.5/10

18 hours ago, ilostmyself said:

The Matrix Trilogy.

Watched the 3 of these recently as id only ever seen the first one when it released and never bothered with the sequels.

First one still stands up and is an interesting mix of philosophy and action full of iconic lines and sequences.

2 & 3 are abysmal, might as well have been Michael Bay films. Story makes no sense, no characterisation and it's just endless bland action sequences.

Utter pish, can't believe there's another one on the way.

Been tempted to watch them again in HD recently, but I think I still remember the original too well, and I really detested how smug, pretentious, and boring the sequels were.

Worst part was the Wachowskis swearing blind that they'd always meant to make three films despite clearly having no idea what they wanted to do with the sequels, other than come across as very clever. Not been paying attention, but are they pretending to have always meant to make a fourth film once Keanu was slipping towards retirement age and Larry Fishburne had filled out a bit more?

34 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Been tempted to watch them again in HD recently, but I think I still remember the original too well, and I really detested how smug, pretentious, and boring the sequels were.

Worst part was the Wachowskis swearing blind that they'd always meant to make three films despite clearly having no idea what they wanted to do with the sequels, other than come across as very clever. Not been paying attention, but are they pretending to have always meant to make a fourth film once Keanu was slipping towards retirement age and Larry Fishburne had filled out a bit more?

Hugo Weaving (Agent Smith) & Laurence Fishburne won't be in the next instalment so it's already shite.