What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

King of New York - A mental early 90s gangster movie from Abel Ferrara with his trademark levels of drugs and nudity. Chris Walken and Larry Fishburne ham it up brilliantly and David Caruso is exactly as hateable as he was in CSI Miami. 

Curse of The Cat People - A sequel to the far better Cat People but not a bad wee movie. The best and scariest scene in the original features Jane Randolph in a swimsuit. At no point in the sequel does she wear a swimsuit. The plot is only loosely connected to the original and it's basically about a wee girl who gets in trouble with her arsehole Da because she no pals. 

On 27/02/2021 at 03:49, BFTD said:

Argo - Blu-Ray - in the aftermath of the storming of the American embassy during the Iranian Islamic Revolution, CIA Agent Ben Affleck comes up with a plan to smuggle half a dozen of the embassy staff out of the country before they're discovered and executed.

This must have been on my to-watch list for the best part of a decade, and somehow I managed to avoid hearing about the real-life batshit idea that the film revolves around, which I won't mention here as it was a pleasant surprise. The film's a nicely taut thriller that does a surprisingly good job of ratcheting up the tension, and has a quality cast doing a very good job. I'm not sure that it would necessarily have won Best Picture at the Oscars if it weren't for the navel-gazing American history aspect, but it's a very enjoyable film nonetheless.

Iron Man - Blu-Ray - harrowing study of a billionaire war criminal's descent into delusional madness after a gruelling kidnapping.

Apparently we're going through the Marvel films again from the beginning. My son's a big MCU fan, so I know this film like the back of my hand at this point, but it's still an entertaining romp with a few proper laughs. I didn't think it had any surprises left, only to discover that Tom Morello of Rage Against the Machine played one of the Afghans at the beginning! Even better, it gave me the opportunity to recommend RATM to the boy, and to once again point out that Black Sabbath are the greatest band of all time.

Although he did say that he thought Led Zeppelin wrote the titular end credits tune, and that it had been written for the film, which I'm thinking might have been an impressive attempt to wind up his old man. They grow up so fast.

Avengers Endgame should have ended when Tony dies on the battlefield after his "And I am Iron Man!" line, only to then wake up back in that cave from the first Iron Man film, revealing that he dreamt it all and that, not only did absolutely none of it happen, but all the other characters were completely made up in his head and don't exist. The terrorists then storm the cell, see what he and his pal have been up to and summarily execute them both.

Witness (1985)

Seen this a couple of times previously but it stands the test of time and enjoyed it again. Good story with Harrison Ford playing a cop who goes undercover in an Amish community to protect a young boy who witnessed a murder involving corrupt drugs enforcement officers. The wee boy is good and his mother is Kelly McGillis who despite being Amish gets them out and gives us and Harrison a right good eyeful.

7.5/10

Nomadland

Budget film about an elderly woman in her 60's forced to live in her van through recession, She takes her van on a journey through the mid West in the US and then hooks up at a campsite where other nomads dwell.
Great acting throughout and last night the film won best drama film at the Golden Globes.

8.5/10

Nomadland

Budget film about an elderly woman in her 60's forced to live in her van through recession, She takes her van on a journey through the mid West in the US and then hooks up at a campsite where other nomads dwell.
Great acting throughout and last night the film won best drama film at the Golden Globes.

8.5/10
Where did you see this? I read the book last year and found it grimly fascinating. f**k growing old in the Land of the Free.

23 hours ago, Detournement said:

King of New York - A mental early 90s gangster movie from Abel Ferrara with his trademark levels of drugs and nudity. Chris Walken and Larry Fishburne ham it up brilliantly and David Caruso is exactly as hateable as he was in CSI Miami. 

Curse of The Cat People - A sequel to the far better Cat People but not a bad wee movie. The best and scariest scene in the original features Jane Randolph in a swimsuit. At no point in the sequel does she wear a swimsuit. The plot is only loosely connected to the original and it's basically about a wee girl who gets in trouble with her arsehole Da because she no pals. 

Not watched King of New York for years but going to search for it now, Fishburnes unhinged giggles while he shoots everything in his way are superb.

Just Mercy

Watched this at the weekend.
Based on the true story of Walter McMillan and Bryan Stevenston, Black guys in the deep south. 
Michael B Jordan and Jamie Foxx are great in it. 

16 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Avengers Endgame should have ended when Tony dies on the battlefield after his "And I am Iron Man!" line, only to then wake up back in that cave from the first Iron Man film, revealing that he dreamt it all and that, not only did absolutely none of it happen, but all the other characters were completely made up in his head and don't exist. The terrorists then storm the cell, see what he and his pal have been up to and summarily execute them both.

What a great plot twist. 

The Goodbye Girl 1977

Or, somewhat egotistically, the film's title caption states "Neil Simon's The Goodbye Girl".

Like most of Simon's screenplays the film is incredibly wordy and play-like  but Richard Dreyfuss is excellent and worthy of his Oscar. Marsha Mason (long before she was Sherrie in Frasier) and the girl (can't mind her name) also received Oscar nominations,

The plot is wafer thin (Mason gets dumped, her ex sublets their apartment to Dreyfuss, they initially are hostile flatmates but love flourishes) however, as I said, the excellent acting keeps the viewer engaged.

11 hours ago, Andre Drazen said:

DA Baracus has came up with genuinely the worst movie idea ever there. Naw even a good Jacob's Ladder scenario. 

Would've been worth it to see everyone throw the toys out the pram in the cinema.

Annihilation - Netflix - Natalie Portman is pressganged into joining an expedition into a mysterious, growing phenomena surrounding a lighthouse, after her soldier husband unexpectedly returns, sick and somehow different, from his own mission to the area.

This is definitely worth watching twice, although I'm not a huge fan. It's a film made to be discussed after viewing, and the internet seems to have bred various theories about what's going on, as it's purposefully vague in some ways. It's not really a horror film, although it does have a couple of gruesome scenes and tense moments, but they primarily exist to demonstrate that something very strange is going on within "The Shimmer". There does appear to be a bit of philosophy going on regarding change, and a second viewing lets you pick up supporting details that you might not have noticed the first time.

Worth watching, although I personally found it a little unsatisfying. It's interesting and unusual, though, and has some inventive audiovisual work going on too.

Suicide Squad - Blu-Ray - an illogical shady government type has the terrible idea to rope together a band of mortal crims to take on evil superbeings.

You can pick this up for a couple of quid now, so it's becoming a favourite when I'm in the mood for something entertainingly terrible. A film that just slaps you around with so much badness that it's hard to believe anybody who had money invested in the enterprise saw the final cut and thought, "aye, that'll do". It has a glorious onion quality that, when you get past the surface level poor decisions, there are a whole load of nonsensical treats to enjoy on subsequent viewings.

The main things that stood out this time were: Harley Quinn is almost as annoying as the Joker, and you could improve the film immensely by cutting out their flashback scenes altogether. It would've been nice to see a cut of the film with an actual score, instead of a constantly-shifting jukebox of horrifically on-the-nose pop songs. Enchantress is quite well done until you hit the halfway point, and she turns into a hilarious CG jiggling rave queen. The second act really does feel as though they changed the plot around entirely after filming and didn't have footage for some of the scenes they needed. And the urban dialogue is howling; somebody's dad's idea of how the ethnics outside of Beverly Hills talk. I can't believe it's taken this long to notice Killer Croc referring to Harley as "shorty"  :lol:

A moment, also, for that fucking creepy period of time when wee girls were wearing Harley Quinn costumes around all over the place. Y'know, the character in a horrific abusive relationship (that's still somehow portrayed as a romance), has her arse hanging out for most of the film, and that the camera stalks around like a sexual predator. What a world.

Smashed: 8/10
Recommended by my IOP counselor as a good film about recovery.
He’s not wrong, there are some obvious tropes but it gets a lot of the actual life of addiction on point.
Not necessarily a watch for everyone

On 01/03/2021 at 07:31, Andre Drazen said:

DA Baracus has came up with genuinely the worst movie idea ever there. Naw even a good Jacob's Ladder scenario. 

It was all a dream is the worst plot twist/ fan theory in the land. 

Three kings.  A documentary on Amazon prime about the managerial careers of Shankly, Busby and Stein.  9/10.  Great to learn about managers before your time.  Being born in the 80s I’d heard the names but I wouldn’t say I’d known a great deal aside from browsing a few Wikipedia articles about them until I gave that a watch.