What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

You Were Never Really Here - Joaquin Phoenix plays a psychologically scarred hitman who discovers his latest job - rescuing a senator's daughter from a paedophile ring - is more complicated than it first appears.
A fairly straightforward tale made interesting by the way it's told. Phoenix's character is clearly quite unwell mentally; we're treated to disturbing glimpses of his past in brief, jarring flashback throughout the running time, and there's a generally hallucinatory feel about the whole affair. Haphazard editing of audio and images help the viewer understand the nature of his fractured psyche, and the soundtrack is quite a clever mix of tunes that are always just a little bit off and veer into the discordant.
Phoenix has been a been a terrific actor for some time, and he's very much on form here, completely convincing as a man haunted by the past to the extent that he barely exists in the present. The film's more of a character experience than an engrossing narrative, but it's a fascinating watch if you have the patience.
Lynne Ramsey is the don.

I thought You Were Never Really Here was a pile of shite! Couldn’t believe what a load of pretentious tosh it was after the reviews. Watched Blue Ruin around the same time and thought it was so much better (in the sub-genre of damaged beardy guys in peril).

The Dig

Netflix

A terminal disease does little to make Carey Mulligan any less attractive. She gets Ralph Fiennes to come round and dig up a Viking that’s buried in her back garden. That would have been a decent enough film with a tighter edit but they crowbarred in some romance and lots of shots of Lily James wearing hot but not very 1930s building site outfits. That all felt a bit unnecessary. This year’s grey pound smash. Had it been in cinemas the codgers would be queued round the block to catch this. 

Edited by Shandön Par

1 hour ago, Shandön Par said:

The Dig

Netflix

A terminal disease does little to make Carey Mulligan any less attractive. She gets Ralph Fiennes to come round and dig up a Viking that’s buried in her back garden. That would have been a decent enough film with a tighter edit but they crowbarred in some romance and lots of shots of Lily James wearing hot but not very 1930s building site outfits. That all felt a bit unnecessary. This year’s grey pound smash. Had it been in cinemas the codgers would be queued round the block to catch this. 

A viking? I thought it was Sutton Hoo? 

I watched The 6th Day. One of my favourite Arnie films. It looks terrible, the acting is sub Neighbours level (except an incongruous turn from Robert Duval) and the plot is completely rudiculous. The visual style includes a couple of gimmicks that are unpleasant to watch. The "science" is just ludicrous. 

The baddie is very very bad, and his henchpeople are brilliantly useless and evil. Arnie's 2 performances are more kindergarten cop than terminator. 

Very entertaining. 7/10

22 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Yeah. Capricorn One is a particular fave of mine.

Telly Savalas absolutely steals the show with his brief appearance. 

Nazi war criminal thrillers are another 70s sub genre. Marathon Man and The Boys From Brazil are a couple of great examples. 

I'm sure Marathon Man was my old dentist's favourite film 😂

11 hours ago, Shandön Par said:

I thought You Were Never Really Here was a pile of shite! Couldn’t believe what a load of pretentious tosh it was after the reviews. Watched Blue Ruin around the same time and thought it was so much better (in the sub-genre of damaged beardy guys in peril).

Aye, I'd say Blue Ruin is the better film, and also has an excellent central performance - YWNRH is more of an "experience", which I enjoyed, but I can understand why somebody else wouldn't.

Ugh, that was far too reasonable; you're a poopyhead and wouldn't know a good film if it bit you on the arse. There.

Revenge - a young woman finds herself hunted after being raped by one of her boyfriend's friends.

Really surprised that this has been hailed as some kind of feminist twist on the rape-revenge genre; the camera absolutely leers over the young star's body, even after the revenge portion of the story kicks in. Thankfully, we're spared most of the rape section, but it's still a really formulaic entry with little in the way of surprises, and only some attractive cinematography to sustain interest. The closest it gets to tension is during a long tracking shot at the climax, but even that ends exactly as expected, and the plot's littered with stupid character decisions and events that defy belief. Pretty mediocre.

Edited by BFTD
Didn't finish a

Atomic Blonde (2017)

Charlize Theron, James McAvoy, Toby Jones, spy adventure set mainly in Berlin around 1989, just before the wall came down.

All style and no substance, filmed in a blue tint Berlin looks great but the script is shit.

Disappointing movie 4/10 

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - fading TV actor Leonardo DiCaprio copes with a career crisis with his stuntman friend Brad Pitt, while his neighbour Sharon Tate enjoys the start of her film career in late '60s Hollywood.

Well, this was quite the pleasant surprise, in more ways than one. I don't remember feeling that any character was just a cipher for Quentin Tarantino, who also decided not to make his customary horrible cameo, and nobody referred to "n*ggers" at any point. There were, of course, the customary foot fetish scenes for QT to fap over, but if that's the trade-off then I'll happily take it.

This was a very enjoyable film - no great plot to follow, just Pitt and DiCaprio pootling about as the hippie era comes to an end, and I thoroughly enjoyed my time with them. I've never been a DiCaprio fan, but I thought he was excellent in this, and I really fell for the bromance he had going on with Pitt, for whom this kind of thing is like breathing. Of course, anyone familiar with Sharon Tate will know what the film is building towards, and...

Spoiler

...frankly, I was surprised and delighted that Tarantino decided to right wrongs in a similar fashion to Inglourious Basterds - there's absolutely no need to go over the Manson Family murders again, and QT obviously feels a fair bit of anger towards the people responsible, so his rewriting of history was a blessed relief.

Sharon Tate isn't so much a character in the film as a backdrop, cut off entirely from the rest of the film and viewed from afar as a happy young woman enjoying the life she's started to build. It was a good choice to leave the film without that being destroyed.

My only gripe was that a sudden fast-forward and voiceover from Kurt Russell was jarring and felt like the original cut of the film had been substantially longer, but nobody could satisfactorily edit it down. It's a flaw, but I'd forgiven it by the end. Quality stuff.

Adu - 8/10

Three stories (loosely) intertwined. One is a small child trying to flee Africa. The second is a man and his daughter trying to rekindle their broken relationship and the last is a group of border patrols coming to terms with the death of an illegal immigrant due to their mishandling. Im hardly selling this but its a heartbreaking watch especially young Adus story. In fact, the other two stories are quite weak compared to his. Worth a watch

In Fabric (2018)

Caught this on BBC iPlayer and have to say it's one of the weirdest films I've ever seen. A red dress is possessed and causes all sorts of horror to anyone who has it. Very stylistic way it's filmed by director Peter Strickland and there are some good, in a  strange way, comic scenes but overall it didn't quite hit the mark for me.

5.5/10

Headhunters - Norsk adaption of the Jo Nesbo novel. A top corporate recruiter supplements his lavish lifestyle with art theft. His attempt to steal a new client's priceless painting causes his life to unravel and spiral out of control.

Thankfully, this was a lot better than the painful adaption of Nesbo's The Snowman that Michael Fassbender sleepwalked through. It's a decent crime thriller that occasionally gets a bit silly, and has plenty of contrivance and unlikely plot twists, but it's no worse for it. If you're in the mood for a fairly lightweight twisty-turny mystery, then you could do a lot worse.

Ad Astra - when dangerous power surges are traced to a long-dormant project on the outskirts of the solar system, astronaut Brad Pitt is tasked with establishing communication with the facility and his father, the project lead, whom he hasn't seen since his teens.

This is one of those ponderous "man's place in the grand scheme of things" space flicks, in the style of Solaris or Sunshine, with a bit of Event Horizon thrown in, and a fair debt to Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse Now. Unfortunately, it's just not as interesting as any of those films, and the plot's main theme amounts to Pitt's character resolving his relationship with his father. He's an actor that I like, but his performance is pretty bland in this, and it would really require a compelling lead to make up for the slightly meh story. The space scenes and soundtrack have their moments, however.

Brightburn - a family has to confront their child's origins when he's haunted by extraterrestrial voices and exhibits superhuman powers.

Alright, so it's Evil Superman, with a bit of The Omen thrown in. It's a decent idea, and it makes a lot more sense than the standard Young Superman story - how many teenagers wouldn't abuse their nascent powers? The film very much dwells on the horror end of the spectrum, and it's probably not spoiling much to say that things don't go well, but unfortunately there really isn't anywhere that the story could go that you wouldn't guess in advance. It's still entertaining for what it is, though; just don't go expecting anything too inventive.

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

Brightburn - a family has to confront their child's origins when he's haunted by extraterrestrial voices and exhibits superhuman powers.

Alright, so it's Evil Superman, with a bit of The Omen thrown in. It's a decent idea, and it makes a lot more sense than the standard Young Superman story - how many teenagers wouldn't abuse their nascent powers? The film very much dwells on the horror end of the spectrum, and it's probably not spoiling much to say that things don't go well, but unfortunately there really isn't anywhere that the story could go that you wouldn't guess in advance. It's still entertaining for what it is, though; just don't go expecting anything too inventive.

The scene with him in the lassie's curtains is genuinely terrifying. 

On 05/02/2021 at 17:54, tongue_tied_danny said:

Agreed. The 70s is my favourite movie decade.

Echoed.

Straight Time, Dog Day Afternoon, Serpico, The Godfather and its sequel, Apocalypse Now, OFOTCN, Network, The French Connection, Blazing Saddles Young Frankenstein (how the f**k did MB make both of those in the same year?), ATPM, Alien, Taxi Driver, Chinatown, Jaws, WWandtheCF, The Warriors, The Deerhunter, Halloween, Midnight Express...and those are just off the top of my head.

On 05/02/2021 at 17:54, tongue_tied_danny said:

Agreed. The 70s is my favourite movie decade.

I love how the likes of Chinese Bookie or Pelham 123 generally star sleazy middle aged men with beer bellies, combovers and raincoats. These days it's all The Rock or Vin Diesel with white vests, rippling muscles and shaved nappers.

I tried to watch Chinese Bookie on DailyMotion a couple of weeks ago but I had to give up as there were really annoying adverts popping up every five minutes at random points in the film. That made it completely unwatchable.

2 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Echoed.

Straight Time, Dog Day Afternoon, Serpico, The Godfather and its sequel, Apocalypse Now, OFOTCN, Network, The French Connection, Blazing Saddles Young Frankenstein (how the f**k did MB make both of those in the same year?), ATPM, Alien, Taxi Driver, Chinatown, Jaws, WWandtheCF, The Warriors, The Deerhunter, Halloween, Midnight Express...and those are just off the top of my head.

I would add Midnight Cowboy, Electra Glide in Blue, Thunderbolt & Lightfoot, M A S H and American Graffiti.