What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

That Sinking Feeling - BBC iPlayer

Genuinely funny script and if you can overlook the student feel, a very good film. BUT why the hell was it dubbed? Totally ruined it for me once the lipsynch went wonky.

If ever a film should be remade, it's this one because the script is absolute quality.

"There's got to be more to life than suicide?"

Goodfellas 8/10

Gangster film following the life of a young American with slight Italian background in the mob. De Niro and Pesci are brilliant in this but with a lot of gangster films, the ending always seems to get rushed and then you're done. 

Sex and the City 4/10

Four spoiled and wealthy women and their relationship problems. Probably really fun if you watched the series. 

Sex and the City2 5/10

A worse film than the first but gets a higher grade because of one line. Samantha- the sex crazed one blurts out when in the desert they're visited by some apparently handsome bloke "be the Lawrence of my Labia" which still gets me chuckling. 

Unmasking the Idol

The most fun I've had watching a film since American Hunter. There's a guy who's a ninja acting like a drunken James Bond tribute. There are annoyed crocodiles that are fed up because the villain keeps feeding the piranhas and not them.  He also kills two people because they're old. Also there's a monkey that dresses like a ninja and kills people with ninja stars. Also there's a hot air balloon that's also a pick up truck. Also, there's a casablanca line for no reason.

8/10 (really a 3, but christ it was fun)

The Witch

I suppose it's better on a second viewing, but a couple of the more horror elements still land way wide of the mark, and I just don't see it as the modern horror classic that many do. As a family melodrama though, it works extremely well, and there were pretty special elements here.

7/10

Fantastic Mr. Fox

This was delightful.

9/10
FMF just makes me so happy. The world design/animation/music make an already lovely script ×100 better.

Run Hide Fight

Someone on a podcast I listen to uses the term "good movie adjacent" and I think that's a good way to describe this. This is NOT a good movie though. Infact, it's a total clusterfuck. A mish mash of embarrassing ideas put into what should probably have been a simple concept, which was actually well started, which is the only reason this gets the score that it does.

3/10

Hunter Hunter

Finally watched this after reading about it on here ages ago. Really enjoyed it although many questions remained unanswered and it seemed to go by in no time at 93 minutes. Certainly didn't go the way I expected and the ending especially so..........8/10.

Promising Young Woman

This rape revenge movie was dark but quite humourous at times. The main character is an unstable woman riddled with trauma with what had happened to her friend Nina in years gone past at college, and how her friends attacker, now living the high life got off Scot-free. Now she sets out to right the wrongs.

7.5/10

Run Hide Fight

Someone on a podcast I listen to uses the term "good movie adjacent" and I think that's a good way to describe this. This is NOT a good movie though. Infact, it's a total clusterfuck. A mish mash of embarrassing ideas put into what should probably have been a simple concept, which was actually well started, which is the only reason this gets the score that it does.

3/10

Haha, I actually quite enjoyed this. Each to their own.

I thought the first act was pretty good. Pretty cliche main character but simple and good for the story. I thought the first part of the antagonists' plans was pretty great and the setup with there being lots of pranks that day helped things as well.

From there, I honestly thought it'd be a lot more of a simple siege movies, but then it added all sorts of other shit and made practically zero use of the prank thing which makes me wonder why they included that potentially fun idea in the first place.

Etoile/Ballet

A weird mish mash of giallo and swan lake that wants to be Argento's Opera but it too overly the place in terms of pacing, plot twists and overall look. It does however, have young Jennifer Connelly walking around dreamily, which is a huge plus.

6.5/10

On 19/01/2021 at 09:06, NewBornBairn said:

That Sinking Feeling - BBC iPlayer

Genuinely funny script and if you can overlook the student feel, a very good film. BUT why the hell was it dubbed? Totally ruined it for me once the lipsynch went wonky.

If ever a film should be remade, it's this one because the script is absolute quality.

"There's got to be more to life than suicide?"

I’m sure it was to tone down the accents which somebody deemed too strong, could be wrong. The cameo from Richard Demarco waxing lyrical about the artistic merits of the sink art instillation is a great bit of self deprecating humour.

Frozen (2010)

This is... grim. A hell of a movie, which hits so many right notes, and such an underappreciated gem. Three mates on a chair lift after going skiing, and are there after hours and are stuck there for five days if they don't do something to help their situation in the freezing cold. It's basically a claustrophobic survival thriller, and done brilliantly.

9/10

Seeing as I am signed off work (half days) with dreadful sleep issues, all I am doing is housework, cooking and watching endless amounts of film:

Recently: 

Arnold- Stella Stevens marries a dead man. A whodunnit that is actually a pretty interesting take on things. 7/10

Punk '76- considering punk was meant to be a middle finger at the establishment, this plays it very straight and simple. Disappointing. 5/10

Jaws of Satan- killer government trained dogs escape and run rampage in a mountain resort town. Not awful and full of 80's cheese. 6/10

Tarantulas: The Deadly Cargo- kills off the most interesting actor (Tom Atknis) early. Has spiders that aren't from where they are meant to be and is really damn boring. 2/10

Killdozer- surely, a film called "Killdozer" can't be bad? You thought wrong. As long as a bulldozer in reverse. 1/10

The Ninth Configuration- by the writer of the Exorcist, about a castle filled with soldiers believed to be faking mental issues to escape 'Nam. A joy. 9/10

St. Helens- The praise the old coot who went "no volcano is tougher than me" is celebrated, which sums up America at times. 1/10

Silver Wolf- Michael Biehn has a son who finds a wolf and trains it to become a sled dog. Features truly horrific 90's slang and rejected Blink 182 songs on the soundtrack. 4/10

Etoile- a less than convincing adaptation of Swank Lake set in Hungary, but it features Jennifer Connelly walk around in a dream like state for much of it. 7/10

The Night Strangler- the second TV film that helped inspire X-Files, is every bit as good as the first. Kolchak deserves more recognition. 9/10

Sputnik- A mesh of Alien/Venom where a cosmonaut returns with something else. Really pretty interesting, even if some of the editing choices didn't help. 7/10

Tagteam- Jess Ventura and Roddy Pipper get fired and become cops. Better than it sounds as they have great chemistry. A piano also no sells them. Also features a cameo from the Orient Express. 6/10

Holmes and Watson

2/10

Dreck. I know folk said it was awful and reviews were all 'unfavourable', but I'm an absolute sucker for Will Ferrell movies. This was gash, absolutely gash. Lazy material that was just unfunny. A total exasperated sigh of a film. 

Edited by DA Baracus

Holmes and Watson
2/10
Dreck. I know folk said it was awful and reviews were all 'unfavourable', but I'm an absolute sucker for Will Ferrell movies but this was gash, absolutely gash. Lazy material that was just unfunny. A total exasperated sigh of a film. 

I’ve seen it and your review seems a bit generous

6 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I’ve seen it and your review seems a bit generous

I chuckled a couple of times. That, and I feel I'm becoming too misanthropic, so need to balance it out.

The Peanut Butter Falcon (Netflix)

A young man with Downs Syndrome escapes from the nursing home where he has been dumped, with dreams of joining a wrestling school. Bumps into an on the run Shia LeBeouf and they go on a road trip with his care worker in got pursuit.

Brilliant indy folk. Outstanding performances from Zack Gottsagen as the young lead and LeBeouf, who gives yet another reminder that when he's not being weird as shit, he's a very decent actor.

A real feel good film with some very funny moments and with an agreeable running time of just over 90 minutes. Well worth checking out.