What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

My run of 40s classics continued with Citizen Kane (1941)

No, it's not the greatest film ever made although may well have been at the time.

It was certainly innovative; telling the story in retrospect, the grand sets which zoomed in from miles out, the quirky angles, the lighting.. It's easy to forget Orson Welles was only 28 years old and this was not only his acting debut but his directorial too.

A brilliant score by Bernard Hermann (did he ever compose a bad one?) and solid acting from Cotten, Moorhead and Comingore.

1 hour ago, Andre Drazen said:

Wonder Woman 1984

It doesn't match the first, and to be fair, that's a high bar. But it's definitely worth a watch. Pedro Pascal is on the form of his life here.

7/10

Thought it was okay, not as good as the first. Bit hyper and had the same kind of style that reminded me of Thor Ragnarok. Overdone it a bit with the 80's theme, I dont think even the eighties were that eighties.

6 hours ago, Andre Drazen said:

Wonder Woman 1984

It doesn't match the first, and to be fair, that's a high bar. But it's definitely worth a watch. Pedro Pascal is on the form of his life here.

7/10

4 hours ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Thought it was okay, not as good as the first. Bit hyper and had the same kind of style that reminded me of Thor Ragnarok. Overdone it a bit with the 80's theme, I dont think even the eighties were that eighties.

Did either of you clock who Max's driver was?

Let Him Go

New Kevin Costner one where his son dies and the mother remarries and goes off with his grandson to live with new husbands redneck family in the middle of nowhere. Costner and wife track them down and try to rescue their grandson. Lesley Manville(who was great in Mum) is terrific as the matriarch of the rednecks......8/10.

The Midnight Sky

New  George Clooney one set in 2049 when mankind has destroyed earth and a spacecraft is returning from a mission to find a suitable planet for for humans to colonise and can't make contact with earth. CGI was great but felt the film dragged at times with overlong scenes......7/10.

Annihilation

Decent sci fi about a group of scientists and soldiers investigating an alien phenomenon around a coastline.
I liked it, was different in that you didn't know if the alien was actually nefarious or whether what was happening was just because it exists.
A bit more thoughtfull than some alien films but lacked something. Ending was spectacular though.

2 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

Annihilation

Decent sci fi about a group of scientists and soldiers investigating an alien phenomenon around a coastline.
I liked it, was different in that you didn't know if the alien was actually nefarious or whether what was happening was just because it exists.
A bit more thoughtfull than some alien films but lacked something. Ending was spectacular though.

It pretty wildly diverges from the book it's based on. The director was clearly mainlining Tarkovsky while he made it. The bear scene is sick tho, fucking still gives me the heebies.

8 hours ago, UpInTheAyr said:
13 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:
Did either of you clock who Max's driver was?

Never noticed, was it Matt Damon? Probably too distracted by the poor CGI. For a film that was sitting about for so long I was surprised by this.

Could not be further from Matt Damon tbh!

Spoiler

It's Stevie the bookie from Still Game

Putting down a list of movies released this year that I at the very least really enjoyed. Throwing it in Spoiler tags as there's a lot.

Hunter Hunter
Onus
Love and Monsters
Freaky
Run
The Trial of the Chicago 7
Enola Holmes
The Babysitter: Killer Queen
The Argument
Host
The Silencing
You Should Have Left
The Rental
Arkansas
The Dark and the Wicked
12 Hour Shift
Don't Let Them In
The Vanished
The Invisible Man
Boss Level
The Nest
Shirley
Relic
His House
Spree
Richard Jewell
Queen and Slim
The Honeymoon Phase
Just Mercy
Disappearance at Clifton Hill
Blood on Her Name
Parasite
The Lighthouse
Blow the Man Down

I'd probably say that the MAIN highlights of the year were The Lighthouse, Queen and Slim, You Should Have Left, Parasite, Host and Shirley.

I'll wait until the end of the year before doing the same but there has honestly been a lot of really good stuff released this year - or, at the very least I've seen a lot of really good things. There's probably an element of smaller releases not getting buried by the bigger ones and me being more willing to take a risk at home than the cinema, but it's been nice having one positive this year.