What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

1 minute ago, Stellaboz said:
6 minutes ago, potterlands said:
last movie i watched was  harry potter and philosophers stone. 
pretty good one ! some how childish but good 

They get better, but it's a fun little introduction to the story.

They would have been better if it wasn't for the dreadful Daniel Radcliffe. 

Rupert Grint and Emma Watson were fairly good in them.

Not sure it's something I could watch now unless it was Helena Bonham Carter on a loop who was excellent as always.

37 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

They would have been better if it wasn't for the dreadful Daniel Radcliffe. 

Rupert Grint and Emma Watson were fairly good in them.

Not sure it's something I could watch now unless it was Helena Bonham Carter on a loop who was excellent as always.

I can't remember which one it is, but when she has to play Hermoine pretending to be Bellatrix is one of the absolute best performances I've seen from anyone. It's the subtle things that make it incredible. 

27 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

The second one has a flying car and a big snake, I would recommend watching it.

Fuckin' whit?!

What's it called when a big group of folk watch a film together online? We should do that.

On 27/09/2020 at 19:35, Arch Stanton said:

North By Northwest not long finished on BBC2.

Just magnificent from start (Hitchcock not getting on the bus) to finish (the rather risque for its time train entering the tunnel) and everything inbetween from Grant, Marie Saint and Mason's tremendous acting, Hitchcock's masterful direction and Bernard Hermann';s brilliant score.

I will never tire of watching it.

Following the demise of Olivia de Havilland, Eve Marie Saint is now the oldest winner of an Oscar.

The making of this film is also interesting.  The actress who played his mother was only 7 years older.  Also when he walks through the hotel lobby Hitchcock offered no direction.  Hitchcock was questioned on this.  He replied "Cary Grant has been coming to this hotel for years.  Do you think I need to tell him how to walk through the lobby?"

The Girl in the Spider’s Web is a good watch although there was a couple of things that annoyed me - not shooting a certain person and not taking a phone off another. I wished I had rewatched films 2 and 3 because I’d forgotten a lot. 7/10

The Gentleman was tremendous. 9/10

On 27/09/2020 at 19:35, Arch Stanton said:

North By Northwest not long finished on BBC2.

Just magnificent from start (Hitchcock not getting on the bus) to finish (the rather risque for its time train entering the tunnel) and everything inbetween from Grant, Marie Saint and Mason's tremendous acting, Hitchcock's masterful direction and Bernard Hermann';s brilliant score.

I will never tire of watching it.

Watched last last night on BBC Four , it still stands up today ., great performances all round  . I noticed a few themes and ideas that would go on to be the benchmark  of the Bond movies , the  evil henchman , femme fatale and a charismatic villain . Top class stuff  9/10 

I've downloaded Vertigo, Rear Window and The Birds gonna work my way through them 

18 minutes ago, stanton said:

Watched last last night on BBC Four , it still stands up today ., great performances all round  . I noticed a few themes and ideas that would go on to be the benchmark  of the Bond movies , the  evil henchman , femme fatale and a charismatic villain . Top class stuff  9/10 

I've downloaded Vertigo, Rear Window and The Birds gonna work my way through them 

Hitchcock made NBNW, Vertigo and Psycho in successive years.

All three are phenomenal.

Bombshell 7/10

Really important story but a real lack of character development which kind of let me down. Honestly can't believe they got the money to make it so for that reason alone it's worth a watch.

11 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Hitchcock made NBNW, Vertigo and Psycho in successive years.

All three are phenomenal.

You could make a case that those three plus The Birds, Rear Window and 39 Steps are all among the greatest films of all time. He was sum boi. A massive perverted boi, but some boi nonetheless.

Probably others I've missed, too.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

John Wick 2 . Completely ridiculous but good fun , the body count is amazing. Not as good as the first film but still  worth a watch . Looks like it's gonna be a longer wait for film  number 4 due to the current circumstances 7/10 

Island Zero - folk start going missing in a small, isolated New England fishing community. Hijinks ensue.

I got a loan of this because the 'The Thing meets A Quiet Place' line on the cover caught my eye. It has nothing in common with either, but is instead a no-budget creature feature which hilariously decides to eschew having creatures by making them invisible. Even then, anything involving them is hinted at and takes place off-camera to avoid any money having to be spent at all. You can almost get away with this kind of thing if the rest of the film is interesting in some way, but it's very dull and descends into some woeful cliches by the final third.

Nice poster art, though.

Island Zero: Sea No Evil' DVD Review | Nerdly

Edit: the 'loving homage to Stephen King'? It takes place in Maine. Literally the only thing it has in common with Stephen King. Like saying WALL-E acknowledged Alien because there's a spaceship.

Edited by BigFatTabbyDave

19 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Island Zero - folk start going missing in a small, isolated New England fishing community. Hijinks ensue.

I got a loan of this because the 'The Thing meets A Quiet Place' line on the cover caught my eye. It has nothing in common with either, but is instead a no-budget creature feature which hilariously decides to eschew having creatures by making them invisible. Even then, anything involving them is hinted at and takes place off-camera to avoid any money having to be spent at all. You can almost get away with this kind of thing if the rest of the film is interesting in some way, but it's very dull and descends into some woeful cliches by the final third.

Nice poster art, though.

Island Zero: Sea No Evil' DVD Review | Nerdly

In what famous film in 1975 does the monster only get 4 minutes of screen time?

In what famous film in 1979 does the monster only get 4 minutes of screen time?

The Grudge - there's this house, right, where people died, and they're jolly annoyed about the whole thing, so they take it out on anybody who visits. Woo.

This must be about the tenth film called The Grudge, when you include the original short films, the Ju-On movies, the three American remakes, and I swear there were some versions made in other countries too. It's the latest, Sam Raimi produced one that I just saw, which is a sequel to the last Sam Raimi produced film called The Grudge from about a decade ago. I'd assumed this was going to be a reboot but, no, they just decided to give the third sequel to a film the same name as the first one, just to make things nice and clear. Spiffing.

Anyway, the Japanese house from the original is apparently still causing people grief, as we see a women fleeing its horrible visions at the start. She returns home to America and the spirits follow her, setting up residence in her home because why not at this point. They're bound to be bored being stuck in the same place, and simply everyone wants to live in America given the chance, dontchano. We then see what happens to the rest of the people who inhabit the house over the following years, and it's laid out like a mystery that we should care about in some way.

However, it's easily the most uninteresting of these films, hampered greatly by the insistence that we should be intrigued by what happened to some people who we're barely introduced to, and who are very clearly going to have been killed by the ghosties that have been murdering people in roughly FIVE MILLION FILMS BY THIS POINT. It's all curiously flat in its execution too, like they were going for a more subdued, real feel, but it just makes it seem less interesting, and it was already pretty uninteresting by the time they finished The Grudge 3. Just, the absolute definition of a pointless franchise film make purely to fill a hole in the studio's bank account, with nobody giving a damn about making an entertaining movie.