What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

4 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Feasters are the good ones, right?

I always get them mixed up with Rustlers, which (IIRC) would be the DCEU of film. Everything's there that should be, but somehow they get it so very wrong.

We can expand the metaphor to Marvel Vs DC but I have no idea which processed crap represents which movie franchise. 

2 hours ago, Detournement said:

I watched Blade Runner for the first time since the 90s last night. The actual plot is fairly basic but the design is incredible. Seeing it at the cinema as a teenager would have blown my mind.

2049 tonight. 

1 hour ago, MixuFruit said:

It's the sound that makes it so atmospheric for me. Not so much the Vangelis soundtrack but the environmental sounds. You quite often notice in Ridley Scott films that somewhere there'll be a motif of a rising and falling sound - it's in Deckard's apartment in bladerunner. I like that he's thought about the idea the machinery that powers these worlds might not be perfect and seamless, there's sounds that are in there and ignored by the characters for whom its second nature but for us makes it all the more exotic and engrossing.

2049's sound is fantastic.

Spoiler

I thought 2049 was better

The Vangelis soundtrack is great tbh.

As for which is better... I'd go for the first, as it's one of my all time favourites. But 2049 is a more than worthy sequel. Denis Villneuve has said even though it was a bit disappointing box office wise, he still wants to do a sequel which implies he has a very set idea for it, so I'd be on board.

The Vangelis soundtrack is great tbh.
As for which is better... I'd go for the first, as it's one of my all time favourites. But 2049 is a more than worthy sequel. Denis Villneuve has said even though it was a bit disappointing box office wise, he still wants to do a sequel which implies he has a very set idea for it, so I'd be on board.

Saw 2049 at the imax and the sound and visuals were incredible. Brilliant film.

Room (2015)

Excellent film. It had my heart racing even when nothing in particular was happening, such is the desperately gripping nature of the story.

The wee boy playing Jack was very impressive, he and the mum captured the wild range of emotions and trauma you’d probably experience in their situations.

I was actually very relieved that the second half of the film was life after escape. I thought the entire film was going to be set inside the room, and that they weren’t going to escape until the very end after a few failed attempts. It was good that there was just as much focus on them trying to adjust to life outside the room, and a bit of emphasis on just how fucked up you’d be after what they experienced.

On 13/09/2020 at 20:54, killiepiemuncher said:

Saw 2049 at the imax and the sound and visuals were incredible. Brilliant film.

I saw it at a regular cinema and even then the sound was spectacular.

On 14/09/2020 at 03:17, Raidernation said:

I STILL haven’t seen 2049 emoji30.png

Get it seen!

I thought 2049 was ok. Los Angeles wasn't as cool as in the first film but they probably had to tone down the racism so literally being swamped by Asians had to go. There was far too much daylight as well. Ryan Gosling was out acted by his jacket and boots and Harrison Ford was phoning it in even more than TFA. Rutger Hauer's love of life elevates the first one plus the ambiguity about Decker and Groff(?) and I don't think there is anything to match that in 2049.

I watched Lost Highway last night which was incredible. I wish I watched it when I was younger and more susceptible to Lynchian mind fucking but it still had me scared a few times. Patricia Arquette barely wears any clothes in a career high performance.

I thought 2049 was ok. Los Angeles wasn't as cool as in the first film but they probably had to tone down the racism so literally being swamped by Asians had to go. There was far too much daylight as well. Ryan Gosling was out acted by his jacket and boots and Harrison Ford was phoning it in even more than TFA. Rutger Hauer's love of life elevates the first one plus the ambiguity about Decker and Groff(?) and I don't think there is anything to match that in 2049.
I watched Lost Highway last night which was incredible. I wish I watched it when I was younger and more susceptible to Lynchian mind fucking but it still had me scared a few times. Patricia Arquette barely wears any clothes in a career high performance.

I actually watched Bladerunner for the first time this summer and it was funny to note that Harrison Ford has spent most of his career phoning it in which is fine cause he has raw charisma.

On 20/02/2018 at 12:13, Bobby Skidmarks said:

Sat down to back to back films with the missus, my choice then hers

Bright - 3/10

Reminds me of shite 80s cop/alien buddy film Alien Nation except worse. Got bored of it after about forty minutes as it was just them running from club to club getting chased and shot at. Half of it didn't even make sense and Will Smith seems to be invincible in it.

Pitch Perfect 3 - 1/10

One point for Anna Kendrick, the rest was utterly horrific. Im sure there was some c**t from Hollyoaks in it, thats the level we are dealing with here.

An all-round shite evening. 

My kids got me watching the Pitch Perfect series. I wasn’t keen but I have warmed to them. Pitch Perfect 1 and 2 are very watchable and really good films. Pitch Perfect 3 is a dreadful attempt. It’s flogging a dead horse. Giving it 1/10 is fucking generous in my opinion. 

18 hours ago, Blootoon87 said:

Just finished Lost Highway.
One day I'll understand David Lynch's films, that day isn't today though.

Lost Highway is the most Lynchian Lynch movie I've seen although I've not seen Inland Empire. Marilyn Manson popping up at end was a surprise. Robert Blake's character was creepy as f**k.

He wrote it with Barry Gifford who wrote the book that Wild At Heart is based on and a load of sequel novellas which get increasingly more ridiculous. 

Edited by Detournement

Lost Highway is the most Lynchian Lynch movie I've seen although I've not seen Inland Empire. Marilyn Manson popping up at end was a surprise. Robert Blake's character was creepy as f**k.
He wrote it with Barry Gifford who wrote the book that Wild At Heart is based on and a load of sequel novellas which get increasingly more ridiculous. 

Richard Pryor was a surprise also, but Billy Ray Cyrus in Mullholland Drive has to take the strangest cameo award. I loved Inland Empire, but like most of his films I didn't have a clue what was going on.

3 hours ago, Detournement said:

Lost Highway is probably my favourite Lynch movie, and Robert Blake’s Mystery Man is Lynch’s scariest villain, just edging out Dennis Hopper’s Frank Booth in Blue Velvet for that accolade. His performance was retrospectively given an extra layer of menace by his 2001 trial for the murder of his second wife - he was acquitted, but lost a subsequent civil action, where he was found liable for her wrongful death.

I’ve seen all Lynch’s films and Lost Highway, Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me, Mulholland Dr. , Inland Empire, Blue Velvet and Eraserhead are my top 6, with Wild at Heart and The Elephant Man not far behind. The only Lynch films I don’t care for are The Straight Story (excellent performance by Richard Farnsworth, but ultimately a rather dull film), and Dune, which was a complete mess. 

Just hoping Lynch (who’s not getting any younger) has at least one more movie in him, or at least another TV series (rumours were rife that he was in consultation with Netflix about a new show before Covid hit.)

Summer of Sam
I'd be tempted to call this a forgotten masterpiece. The synopsis had never really grabbed me and it doesn't have great reviews but it was a real treat. Son of Sam (AKA the .44 Calibre Killer) has New York gripped by panic in the summer of 1977. The killer and the search for his is all incidental though. Instead we get a study on masculinity, repressed sexuality. The soundtrack is mainly funk and disco and there is the panic at the emergence of punk and the blurring of masculine and feminine stereotypes. 
Spike Lee does sweaty summers so well and the cast is rammed with sleazy wise guys you'll recognise from so many gangster films and shows.The local hoods decide that as the police can't catch the serial killer then they will do it. Friends find themselves set against each other. The music is great and like in early Lee films there's a strong female character who givers her man such incredible bollockings. 
Really not a serial killer film or crime thriller so don't go into it expecting Manhunter. Reminded me a bit of recent stuff like Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and Sky Atlantic's The Deuce crossed with Lee's own Do The Right Thing. Rammed with themes that still feel very relevant.
10/10  

Not seen that film in years but love it! Same with zodiac just find films like that a great watch

21 hours ago, naegoodinthedark said:

Terminator Dark Fate.

Bit meh, but alright I suppose.

Hopefully the next one sees someone sent back in time to stop the lassie that plays Sarah Connor smoking 200 fags a day.

Or someone sent back in time to tell James Cameron they need to stop after T2.