What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Children of Men - Alfonso Cuaron (2006)

Mark Fisher's Capitalist Realism, the Movie. Unsubtle allegory for the death of the future cemented with the victory of capitalism at the end of the Cold War. There's no subtext here yet it manages to avoid being annoyingly didactic and it's only become a better and more prescient movie with every day that's passed since its release. It is depressing that this movie is 14 years old and the Tory government appears to have watched this movie and its vision of Britain in the 2020s and said "yes, this is what we're aiming for."

10/10

On 17/08/2020 at 05:49, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Starship Troopers (1997)

Futuristic military movie based on an 1959 pro-Fascism novel by Robert Heinlein.

10/10

Denise Richards and Michael Ironside steal the show, but for different reasons.

Sorry, but it's Dina Meyer all day, all night, then probably into lunchtime as well. Although they both wish they were Michael Ironside.

(anyway)

Doctor Sleep - the continuing adventures of the wee boy from The Shining, who grew up to be Ewan McGregor (we should all be so lucky).

Controversial, perhaps, but I never thought The Shining was as good a film as it's made out to be. If you aren't creeped out by certain images, as I know some people very much are, it's got little to offer in the way of horror. The casting was awful, with Jack Nicholson clearly barking mad from the very start of the film, and Shelley Duvall being a hopeless drip that you secretly hope Jack manages to hack into pieces. The kid's annoying, but then, aren't they all. It's a pale imitation of the book. Still a decent enough watch, but nowhere near the classic it's frequently rated as.

This film was much better. The concept was remarkably good for a sequel to a book/film that never needed one, and the story was told well enough to keep me focused throughout. Ewan does well as the grown-up (and still haunted) Danny Torrance, and there's some remarkably good work done by stand-in actors for other characters returning from the original. The main antagonists are interesting, and provide a tangible threat both to Danny and others. I think it's probably best to be seen without knowing too much of the plot, as I didn't, and it was a very pleasant surprise. Really, really enjoyed it and, if Stephen King fancies writing another story about any of these characters again, I could be down for that. BigFatTabbyBoy agreed, and was similarly engrossed, which is a novelty.

Also, Ewan manages to get his arse out in this one, but not his knob. I guarantee there was a conversation during the Star Wars filmings where he suggested that Obi-Wan Kenobi could have a nude scene at some point. Boy loves to get his tackle out.

8 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Also, Ewan manages to get his arse out in this one, but not his knob. I guarantee there was a conversation during the Star Wars filmings where he suggested that Obi-Wan Kenobi could have a nude scene at some point. Boy loves to get his tackle out.

Choosing to believe this is why it took so long to green light an Obi-Wan Star Wars series

On 23/08/2020 at 03:46, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Sorry, but it's Dina Meyer all day, all night, then probably into lunchtime as well. Although they both wish they were Michael Ironside.

(anyway)

Doctor Sleep - the continuing adventures of the wee boy from The Shining, who grew up to be Ewan McGregor (we should all be so lucky).

Controversial, perhaps, but I never thought The Shining was as good a film as it's made out to be. If you aren't creeped out by certain images, as I know some people very much are, it's got little to offer in the way of horror. The casting was awful, with Jack Nicholson clearly barking mad from the very start of the film, and Shelley Duvall being a hopeless drip that you secretly hope Jack manages to hack into pieces. The kid's annoying, but then, aren't they all. It's a pale imitation of the book. Still a decent enough watch, but nowhere near the classic it's frequently rated as.

This film was much better. The concept was remarkably good for a sequel to a book/film that never needed one, and the story was told well enough to keep me focused throughout. Ewan does well as the grown-up (and still haunted) Danny Torrance, and there's some remarkably good work done by stand-in actors for other characters returning from the original. The main antagonists are interesting, and provide a tangible threat both to Danny and others. I think it's probably best to be seen without knowing too much of the plot, as I didn't, and it was a very pleasant surprise. Really, really enjoyed it and, if Stephen King fancies writing another story about any of these characters again, I could be down for that. BigFatTabbyBoy agreed, and was similarly engrossed, which is a novelty.

The Shining terrified me but it was probably to do with watching it for the first time as a kid alone in the house. I think the set and sound design is genius too. The sound of Danny's trike wheels on hard floor then carpet, hard floor then carpet.. It is very much Stanley Kubrick's The Shining rather than a film of the novel. The Dr Sleep film reminds me of another arse-out McGregor vehicle, T2 Trainspotting. Another sequel that manages to be a sequel to the film and the books and somehow wraps them all up satisfactorily. 

More Rose the hat would do me fine.

Starship Troopers - Paul Verhoeven (1997)

Roundly panned sci-fi fluff re-evaluated in later years as a cult classic satire of fascist myth making. Another movie like Children of Men that manages to speak more to the moment more than anything made in the moment.

Funniest moments that somehow managed to go over critic’s heads when it was initially dismissed:
The child saying “I’m doing my part!” in the opening scene
Buenos Aires being suspiciously full of white Americans
The Nazi logo of the Federation
All the shots of scientists penetrating the vaginal looking aliens being covered with a censored sign
And finally
Neil Patrick Harris wearing a fucking censored SS uniform at the end of the movie.

Good movie despite it being more viscerally repulsive than anything else I remember watching recently.

3 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Roundly panned sci-fi fluff re-evaluated in later years as a cult classic satire of fascist myth making. Another movie like Children of Men that manages to speak more to the moment more than anything made in the moment.

Funniest moments that somehow managed to go over critic’s heads when it was initially dismissed:
All the shots of scientists penetrating the vaginal looking aliens being covered with a censored sign
And finally
Neil Patrick Harris wearing a fucking censored SS uniform at the end of the movie.

Good movie despite it being more viscerally repulsive than anything else I remember watching recently.

Fantastic film.  Up there with Robocop in terms of satire.

Children of Men - Alfonso Cuaron (2006)
Mark Fisher's Capitalist Realism, the Movie. Unsubtle allegory for the death of the future cemented with the victory of capitalism at the end of the Cold War. There's no subtext here yet it manages to avoid being annoyingly didactic and it's only become a better and more prescient movie with every day that's passed since its release. It is depressing that this movie is 14 years old and the Tory government appears to have watched this movie and its vision of Britain in the 2020s and said "yes, this is what we're aiming for."
10/10
That's the film idea I had in high school, years before it was released. I can remember being at the pictures with my pals for another film and the trailer for this film came on. I sat watching open mouthed and when the trailer finished my pals commented and said "you came up with that plot about 2 years ago!". I was fizzing [emoji38]

Be Aware: Hollywood can steal your thoughts!

sddefault.jpeg

Pain and Gain (2013).

A Michael Bay movie "based on a book" about the activities of the Sun Gym gang in 1990s Miami.

The Rock, Wahlburgers co-owner Mark, Falcon from the Marvel and Ed Harris all make an appearance.
It's just as manly as you'd expect with that lineup. Steroid fueled bodybuilding, explosions, hot chicks, cars and guns.

I showed it to my cat and he's now a lion.

11 hours ago, NotThePars said:

And finally

I saw this in the pictures on its release. I of course loved the visceral content but my laughter on the satire seemed lost on the other patrons...

7 hours ago, sfha said:

I saw this in the pictures on its release. I of course loved the visceral content but my laughter on the satire seemed lost on the other patrons...

I got dragged out to see it by a guy who was obsessed with military stuff. One of those folk who wears an army beret and camo gear, despite being the size of a house. For some reason, he'd got it into his head that it was going to be a serious festival of hoo-rah soldier ass-kissery. The kind of guy who missed that the macho arrogance in Aliens didn't work out so well for them.

He hated it, and was furious with the rest of the group for laughing throughout. Afterwards it turned out that his main gripe was that everyone was "too pretty"; if it'd been filled with stern-faced middle-aged British thesps, he'd have loved it. Not only is satire dead, I think we may have been imagining its existence in the first place.

My favourite little tidbit about the movie is apparently the studio executives complaining to Verhoeven that the Federation logo looked too much like a Nazi symbol and he reassured them by saying “no, it’s totally different colours.”