What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

On 13/08/2020 at 15:21, tongue_tied_danny said:

Even though I've seen it a few times a certain scene really made me put my hand over my mouth.

I saw it in the cinema without knowing about ’that’ scene. Given that I’ve feared and hated members of that profession since early childhood, it was unfortunate that I had an appointment with one the following day. 

Two Way Stretch (1960)

Pretty funny prison caper with Peter Sellers coming up with a plan to break out of prison with his two cell mates, steal some diamonds then sneak back in giving them the perfect alibi. Quite a few familiar actors like Bernard Cribbins, Irene Handl, Wilfred Hyde-White and Lionel Jeffries add to the mayhem.

7/10

Currently watching a favourite from my library of guilty pleasures, The Reaping. I have a thing for fiction involving religious sceptics discovering that - shock, horror - IT'S ALL REAL! This one's a corker, building to a terrific conclusion with multiple flashbacks to highlight all the hints you were too stupid to have picked up on, and a final shot that almost literally does the Eastenders percussive ending.

Also, Hilary Swank really does have a cracking arse.

The recent “Death Wish” with Bruce Willis
7.34/10
Decent enough, some serious gore with the guy in the garage, same plot as before but very little tension. Mr. Willis does a good job of not trying to be Charles Bronson.

Bruce is looking old.....

Battle: Los Angeles (2011)

Decent 'alien invasion' movie, this looks like a generic popcorn movie at first, but it's about a guy aiming to prove himself to his peers once again, after he was blamed for getting someone killed.

Plenty of gung-ho USMC nonsense at times, but the acting, battle scenes, action & effects are absolutely superb throughout.

Recommended 8/10

Red Dragon (2002)

Retired FBI agent Will Graham (Ed Norton) is asked to track down a serial killer, the Tooth Fairy & asks for help from his nemesis Dr Hannibal Lecter.

Better than the movie Hannibal, not as good as Silence of the Lambs, it's a decent enough detective movie which stays pretty close to Thomas Harris' book.

Ralph Fiennes is shite as Francis Dollarhyde though, I much preferred Tom Noonan in Manhunter, which is a better movie imho.

6.5/10

I went for a Bill Cosby double bill last night.

Hickey & Boggs

Fairly run of the mill early 70s crime thriller starring Cosby as maverick private eye. Violent, reasonably entertaining but instantly forgettable.

5/10

Mother, Jugs & Speed 

Dark  comedy about a turf war between two rival private ambulance companies in 70s LA. This film boasts an all star cast including Cosby, Harvey Keitel, Raquel Welsh, Larry Hagman and, err, Toni Basil. Quite a funny film albeit with a few grim moments. Cosby is perfectly cast as the cynical, wisecracking paramedic who sips from a bottle of Anchor beer while driving his ambulance to emergencies. This is very much a product of the 70s. I doubt a film like this would be made today. 

8/10

Edited by tongue_tied_danny

The Meg

Pretty much a shite Jaws

Put this on while the film wasn't finished, it gets an extra point for the dog.

Guns Akimbo

I love the fact Daniel Ratcliffe has never been in a film like Harry Potter since he had a choice. This film is bonkers, predictable and fun.

Edited by thomas

White Boy Rick. 

Watched the docu on him several months back and found the film whilst searching for something else. A decent enough watch but I definitely preferred the documentary on the atrocious behaviour of all involved - mainly government officials and police. 

6/10.

Confessor Caressor

A short film that got Nicholas Hope the role of Bubby in Bad Boy Bubby. He plays a man who may or may not be a serial murderer and the way it's shot as a lofi documentary, along with Hope's off the wall performance makes it an entertaining watch.

8/10

The Tax Collector 6/10

Shia LaBeouf and his mate collect taxes from all the gangs in LA. Everything is going fine til a rival big boss turns up after a long absence and tries to take over. Decent watch

On 13/08/2020 at 22:21, tongue_tied_danny said:

Marathon Man

Espionage thriller from the 70s starring Dustin Hoffman as a nerdy student who gets dragged into some pretty nasty shit involving some pretty nasty nazis. A great performance by Hoffman and also by Laurence Olivier as an elderly war criminal. The unpleasant tone of this film is just right. New York and Paris both look dirty and gritty. Even though I've seen it a few times a certain scene really made me put my hand over my mouth.

9/10

Love the scene where the woman sees “Die Weiss Angel” walking along the street. Really nasty film (in a good way!),

11 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Love the scene where the woman sees “Die Weiss Angel” walking along the street. Really nasty film (in a good way!),

Yeah, I love how uncomfortable he looks walking through a Jewish neighbourhood. An excellent performance by Olivier.

The road rage incident at the start of the film is another nasty but entertaining scene... Go on, get going you Mercedes b*****d!

Nobody Knows I'm Here (2020)

Caught this on Netflix starring Jorge Garcia (Hurley from Lost) as Memo who lives with his uncle on a sheep farm in Chile. Some beautiful scenery as we see his childhood in flashbacks and how he struggles to identify with the kid who wanted to be a famous singer. He does get a chance to achieve something of his dream in what is a bit of a Hollywood ending but if you like a slow thoughtful film you'll enjoy this.

7/10

HyperNormalisation - Adam Curtis (2016)

Cleverer people than I have pointed out the inconsistencies in Curtis's narratives and the dots sometimes connect a bit too conveniently but there's a fascinating story in HyperNormalisation and Curtis really is unparalleled at what he does. Obviously his method of storytelling has been parodied to death at this point but I don't think that's a criticism as it's very engaging. Don't always agree with his takes either but thought he was particularly bang on with his critiques of Occupy and despite my earlier reservations felt that he did manage to weave a coherent narrative out of many disparate events and moments of the past 50 years. 

Anyway, this is the best the BBC produces and is a glimpse of what the service could (and probably was) be if it wasn't ruined by marketisation.

8/10