What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Reality Bites (1994)

It's weird to read comments from the studio marketing dept that "The media labeled it as a Generation X picture, while we thought it was a comedy with broad appeal". I mean, it absolutely is a Gen X film. It touches on all the themes of disaffected twentysomethings of the time against a grunge/MTV background but it's not really a comedy.

It is however very early 90s zeitgeist. 

Cards on the table, I'm wildly nostalgic for the early 90s at the moment which is why I revisited this. 

It's Ben Stiller's directorial debut and he also co-stars alongside Winona Ryder and Ethan Hawke. There are loads of recognisable faces Janeane Garofalo, Steve Zahn, John Mahoney and there are cameos from Dave Pirner from Soul Asylum and Evan Dando.

7/10

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, Empty It said:

Watched both Guardians Of The Galaxy movies this weekend, not a big fan of Marvel movies but thoroughly enjoyed both movies and would highly recommend.

Think they're the only Marvel type films I've enjoyed, gutted when the Director got blacklisted for bad behaviour before doing no. 3. 

P.S. Quite liked the first Captain America too.

Think they're the only Marvel type films I've enjoyed, gutted when the Director got blacklisted for bad behaviour before doing no. 3. 
Basically all the ones that are the least like normal Marvel films then?

Have met a few people with little time for the MCU that also loved Guardians. Very fun films and a treat for the eyes (and ears regarding the soundtracks)

Think he's back on board for the 3rd film.

26 minutes ago, spud131 said:
1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Think he's back on board for the 3rd film.

He is, and he wasn't sacked for 'bad behaviour', but because he used to enjoy making bad taste comedy tweets before he got involved with Marvel. That's probably why he ended up back in the job; if he'd been doing it while working for the House of Mouse, they'd probably have kept him on the shitcan list, but it seems grossly unfair to blackball someone for engaging in edgy comedy before their employer had even heard of them. They couldn't even claim not to know that was something he dabbled in; the man used to work for Troma, FFS.

I suppose it's inevitable that one of our posters will eventually gets the bullet from their work for their forthright views on Neil Doncaster or sliced/square/lorne sausage.

I was half watching that new Joker film that’s just come on Sky recently.

It probably did explain it in the film and I missed it as my flat mate came home and started talking to me for ages, but I’m sure I saw a young Batman talking to a 50 year old Joker at the gates of Batman’s dads house. Weren’t Batman and the Joker both around 35 years old when they met in the Dark Knight?

The Courier

A dull, stupid thriller about a courier who protects a witness who is the target of a crime boss. Olga Kurlyenko isn't awful but isn't good either and Gary Oldman sleeps through his performance. There's one nice bit where Oldman is listening to the opera music from Fifth Element and that's basially it. Shite.

3/10

28 minutes ago, Nick_BCFC said:

It probably did explain it in the film and I missed it as my flat mate came home and started talking to me for ages, but I’m sure I saw a young Batman talking to a 50 year old Joker at the gates of Batman’s dads house. Weren’t Batman and the Joker both around 35 years old when they met in the Dark Knight?

The films aren't in the same universe.

Joker is a standalone film, so although your general point is right about the age gap between Arthur and Bruce, it's not really relevant to this movie. There is also the issue of Arthur being an extremely unreliable narrator, raising the question of whether the meeting ever actually happened or if it was just in his head.

39 minutes ago, Nick_BCFC said:

I thought the same thing, although one explanation suggested was that the joker batman meets when he's older is not Arthur. He does seem to have inspired a lot of people, so it's plausible

Reign of Fire (2002)

Seen this when it first came out in the cinema.

Dragons have taken over the planet & scorched the earth, small pockets of humans fight back.

Even the director admitted the idea of this movie was daft, but it really works (even with Gerard Butler in it) 😀

A cracking film.

Great visuals, scenery and effects.

8/10

Basically all the ones that are the least like normal Marvel films then?

Have met a few people with little time for the MCU that also loved Guardians. Very fun films and a treat for the eyes (and ears regarding the soundtracks)

I think the reaction to Venom is why I haven’t bothered with more of Marvel’s stuff. I thought that movie was hilarious and much less try hard than Deadpool but it seemed to bomb among the Marvel heads. Maybe people don’t appreciate Tom Hardy’s commitment to inventing new accents and line readings.

19 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Cobra

Quintessential mid 80s video rental shop classic starring Sylvester Stallone as a bad ass cop who breaks every rule in the book as he endeavours to take down a gang of bloodthirsty killers.

7/10

I have weird memories of this movie. For some reason, the screenplay was summarized over the course of a week in either the Daily Record or The Sun, which I don't remember being done before or since.

Countdown

Seen this suggested on prime for some reason, plot line is basically several people downloading an app saying how long you have left to live. Stereotypical horror movie with hundreds of holes in the plot but not the worst thing I've ever seen.

Marathon Man

Espionage thriller from the 70s starring Dustin Hoffman as a nerdy student who gets dragged into some pretty nasty shit involving some pretty nasty nazis. A great performance by Hoffman and also by Laurence Olivier as an elderly war criminal. The unpleasant tone of this film is just right. New York and Paris both look dirty and gritty. Even though I've seen it a few times a certain scene really made me put my hand over my mouth.

9/10

Edited by tongue_tied_danny

18 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Marathon Man

Espionage thriller from the 70s starring Dustin Hoffman as a nerdy student who gets dragged into some pretty nasty shit involving some pretty nasty nazis. A great performance by Hoffman and also by Laurence Olivier as an elderly war criminal. The unpleasant tone of this film is just right. New York and Paris both look dirty and gritty. Even though I've seen it a few times a certain scene really made me put my hand over my mouth.

9/10

Is it SAFE ?