What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

The Old Guard.  3/10

Really cool idea, almost Highlander-esque. Just couldn't ever buy into it though. No strong characters, very little character development and didn't really care about any of them. Some really weak decisions made throughout. 

The Traitor 

True tale of mafia boss who had fled to Brazil in the 80's. After some of his family are murdered, he returns to Italy where he turns informant which ultimately results in hundreds of mafia being sent for trial............very good if you can get past the subtitles......8/10.

ETA.......Found this documentary which features loads of home video of the family through the years. The director of the film had obviously watched as well as you can see the authenticity in his film.

https://www.netflix.com/watch/81001494?trackId=13752289&tctx=0%2C0%2Cd90b83df5483f9fc62ac1b111b6ae57623e34e53%3A808ed4b30e4b5a0d4cf3e7ca037bfe8ea2c35363%2Cd90b83df5483f9fc62ac1b111b6ae57623e34e53%3A808ed4b30e4b5a0d4cf3e7ca037bfe8ea2c35363%2C%2C

Edited by jimmy boo

Mausoleum (1983)

Susan has it all, beautiful, married, lives in a mansion in California. And a family curse which sees her possessed by a demon.

Susan switches between homicidal killer & nymphomania.

Demonic monsters, luminous green eyes, a sleazy gardener, death by levitation, spontaneous combustion & pendulous breasts which have teeth. 😀

Schlock horror 80's b-movie with great novelty value.

4/10

Death Trap (1976) aka Eaten Alive

Tobe Hooper horror about crazy Judd, who runs a motel out on the bayou, where he kills & feeds guests to his pet crocodile.

Robert Englund makes an early acting appearance in this as local bully Buck, "I'm Buck and I like to f**k".

Absolutely deranged, gruesome nonsense, but very watchable.

6/10

Laura (1944)

Otto Preminger's film-noir about a detective (Dana Andrews) investigating the murder of a beautiful woman (Gene Tierney). It's not bad and has good support from Clifton Webb and Vincent Price, in an unusual role for him as a bit of a Casanova, with a good twist to the mystery.

6.5/10

Being stuck at home while doing very little work has meant all I've been doing is watching flms:

Funky Forest: The First Contact: 7/10

Scalps: 6/10

The Vagrant: 6/10

American Hunter: real rating 3/10, fun rating 8/10

Next Door: 4/10

Dracula (The Dirty Old Man): 1/10

Don't Breathe: 3/10

Walking Out: 6/10

Sci-Fighters: 5/10

Heck's Way Home: 4/10

The Nest: 3/10

Raiders of the Lost Shark: 1/10

That's everything over the last week I think. I need a life.

49th Parallel (1941)

Six Germans led by a fanatical nazi officer, attempt to make their way across Canada, after their U-boat is sunk off Hudson's Bay.

The film turns into an epic journey, with plenty of killing too, as they try to reach the USA & onto Japan, bearing in mind that this film was released just before the neutral USA got involved in WWII. Canada being a British Dominion was already alongside the Allies, making the 6 Germans, in enemy territory & on the run.

The cinematography & music in the film is excellent. Laurence Olivier even makes an appearance, it's a superb propaganda film, made by Powell & Pressburger. The nasty U-boat officer (Eric Portman) is a stand out in the film.

10/10

The Cider House Rules

I have to be honest and say I'd never heard of this until I looked into seeing who had managed to beat Michael Clarke Duncan to the Best Supporting Actor Oscar. Given I thought MCD was superb I had to see how good a performance Caine had given to beat him. I'm glad I did. Really enjoyed this film, right up my street. A nice laid back film until near the end with the shocking moment and it kind of explodes a bit from there. Had a couple of laughs, a few heartfelt moments and a really good story.

On the BSA though. I like Caine as an actor but that was absolutely criminal he beat MCD to it. I felt Caine's accent was pretty dodgy throughout. I dunno if that's because he generally plays a cockney and I was subconsciously hearing it but either way there is no way that was a better performance in that category.

Charlize Theron is absolutely stunning.

West End. 1/10
Some sort of gangster shite one of my housemates was watching ( he binges in Chicago PD, NCIS, Laura Norder, Criminal minds etc. ALL FUCKING DAY when he’s not working) Within about 5 minutes it was obvious what was going on. I read some of my book, scrolled through P&B, went for a shit, made dinner and I never once list the thread of this pile of excrement

Planet Terror (2007)

Robert Rodriguez's homage to 1970's/80's zombie gorefests.

So over the top, it's great fun, non-stop action, blood & a cast including a few old hands from the horror genre, Tom Savini etc.

You'll either love the way that the movie is shot in a grainy 70's style or hate it.

8/10