What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

I previously took my daughter to see the Dora the Explorer Movie and we all watched it as a family last night. Pretty good fun actually and is pretty tongue in cheek with a slightly older target audience than the TV programmes. There's definitely something not quite right in thinking Dora the Explorer's mum is looking hot though.

On 07/06/2020 at 12:31, Shandon Par said:

Portrait of a Lady on Fire. 

MUBI (get a 7day free trial on Amazon).

Beautiful in every way.

A female portrait painter is recruited by a lady to paint her daughter (who is fresh outta convent school). The daughter is due to be married off to a random Italian and the portrait is to be sent to him for approval. The painter and her subject fall in love, with the knowledge she is in this arranged marriage.

I must’ve quietly sobbed through the last 20 minutes. Just a quiet beautiful looking film with incredible acting. Sound design is terrific too. There’s not really a score but the couple of times music does come in it blows you away. In her last film, Girlhood, Rihanna let the director use Diamonds royalty-free as she loved the scene so much where that song was used.

11/10

Got a 30 day trial of Mubi today actually, wanted to broaden my horizons in terms of cinema and always liked the idea behind Mubi. Looks like I just missed this though which, given this review, is sad

3 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I previously took my daughter to see the Dora the Explorer Movie and we all watched it as a family last night. Pretty good fun actually and is pretty tongue in cheek with a slightly older target audience than the TV programmes. There's definitely something not quite right in thinking Dora the Explorer's mum is looking hot though.

Always thought her granny was quite nice looking in the books.

Manchester by the Sea

Finally got around to watching this yet still had no idea about the plot. Not an easy subject but still found it an oddly easy watch. Quite liked the ending as it wasn't the usual. Casey Affleck was outstanding and strangely after 15 minutes I checked to see if he won the best male Oscar, he was so good so early on.

8/10

Jarhead: Law of Return

Considering how the original Jarhead was a story around how the efforts of a soldier to be elite ending up being practically worthless, this is a saber rattling, flag waving, LET'S TELL DICK JOKES film that is a sad addition to the series.

How on earth Robert Patrick got convinced to be in this I'll never know.

1/10

Geordie (1955)
British comedy about wee Geordie, played by Paul Young  easily spotted for his ears even as a kid,, who enrols on a bodybuilding course with great success. Bill Travers then plays the well built 21 year old who is encouraged to take up hammer throwing while working for the Laird played by Alastair Sim. He wins at a Highland Games then invited to take part in the Olympics in Mebourne. A few good laughs, some dodgy accents and lovely landscapes.
6.5/10

Batman Begins
Every time I watch this, I am more and more convinced that it's a better film than The Dark Knight, and I love The Dark Knight. A quarter of a point off for Tom Wilkinson's weird accent.

The dark knight is probably my favourite film but I do think batman begins is the second best out the Nolan trilogy!

Mad Max 2

My favourite of the franchise and probably Mel Gibson's finest hour and a half. This is one of my go to movies on a rainy day. Watching this makes me want to creep around some post apocalyptic wasteland scavenging for food and fuel. Who knew that road traffic accidents could be so much fun?

10/10

Amy - 9/10

Asif Kapadia doc on Amy Winehouse. As with all of his films, it’s excellently done. I was never a fan of her music, but this shows just how much of a talent she was, along with just how much she was ruined primarily by external sources. Her husband was a proper p***k, with her own father not much better. The way it all ended, with slight signs she was getting better, just made the whole story even more tragic.

They showed us that when I was in rehab the last time, no irony intended.
I think the point was exactly how external forces can fuc k you up addiction wise as much as we can fuc k up ourselves.

I thought it was a tremendous bit of filmmaking 9.5/10

Thunderbolt & Lightfoot

Clint Eastwood and Jeff Bridges go on a crime spree in the rural American Midwest. This is one of my favourite films and I make a point of watching it about once a year. 

It's the sort of film where you root for the main characters even though they're a pair of murderous career criminals. Armed robbery, kidnapping and carjacking are all part of their MO.

Aside from that it looks good. There's a lot of old school Americana, ie: diners, drive in cinema and endless freeways stretching off into the horizon. 

A stone cold classic.

10/10

Edited by tongue_tied_danny

On 11/06/2020 at 12:39, JustOneCornetto said:

Geordie (1955)
British comedy about wee Geordie, played by Paul Young  easily spotted for his ears even as a kid,, who enrols on a bodybuilding course with great success. Bill Travers then plays the well built 21 year old who is encouraged to take up hammer throwing while working for the Laird played by Alastair Sim. He wins at a Highland Games then invited to take part in the Olympics in Mebourne. A few good laughs, some dodgy accents and lovely landscapes.
6.5/10

'Come away, my wee Geordie!' 

It's Kind Of A Funny Story 

7/10

A 16 year old kid with depression checks commits himself in to the mental hospital wing of a hospital.

The teen ward is undergoing renovation so he has to stay in the adult wing.

Never before on film have I related as much to a person suffering from mental health issues. He said things that I have felt myself, in one case scarily close.

The lad realises that much of his issues stem from pressures he puts on himself and from pressures he imagines come from others. He also sees that he's holding himself back when it's explained to him, from adults in the unit, that he has so much freedom and opportunity. He takes that on board and learns to live more and take the opportunities the ill adults never did or could.

That was absolutely me at 17. If I had the support and insight he did my life would not have been ruined. But I never had anyone.

Lars And The Real Girl

7/10

Ryan Gosling plays a dude with mental health issues.

He gets a girlfriend online. Said girlfriend is an (expensive) sex doll, although he doesn't treat her as such and instead treats her as real person. His community do as well.

A (real) girl likes him but his issues prevent him from speaking to her.

Watch it.