What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Oranges and Sunshine (2010)

Fact based film with Emily Watson playing the role of social worker Margaret Humphreys who uncovered the shocking truth behind the British Migrant Scheme or organised deportation of children in care as she called it. Not only were many of these children lied to that they were orphans but subsequently many of them suffered abuse in the care homes they were sent to. It's a n emotional watch but the determination of Humphreys to right the wrongs shines through and her Child Migrants Trust which she set up continues to reunite children with their parents and families.

8/10

Edited by JustOneCornetto

19 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

For literally the 50-oddth time, The Shawshank Redemption.

Sure there flaws in the story (Andy's amazing luck with the bible, the shoes and the posters) but Darabont's screenplay is wonderfully poetic and there are fantastic performances from Robbins, Freeman and Whitmore.

I'll never tire of watching it.

I don't see how the shoes and poster are flaws.

It was a dim prison (dim in the sense of light), Andy was trusted and no one would have been looking at his feet.

As for the poster, just attach it at the top and it will fall back in place. That's gravity. Unsure why so many folk struggle with that one.

What's the luck with the bible?

Edited by DA Baracus

Black Sheep

7/10

Puerile nonsense starring Chris Farley. A lot of slapstick that I'd usually not find that amusing but his selling of it really makes it. Much laughter was had.

13 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I don't see how the shoes and poster are flaws.

It was a dim prison (dim in the sense of light), Andy was trusted and no one would have been looking at his feet.

As for the poster, just attach it at the top and it will fall back in place. That's gravity. Unsure why so many folk struggle with that one.

What's the luck with the bible?

He gave the bible to the warden while  the rock hammer was still inside therefore he was lucky that the warden didn't open it.

They are minor nit-picks, it's a superb movie.

Edited by Arch Stanton

The Martian

Basically cast away but Matt Damon stuck alone on Mars. I liked this film.
That was a film i had no interest in watching but it was on the telly one night, hooked me in, and i too really liked it.

Craven was a vicious sadist in his early work; The Hills Have Eyes is similarly nasty. He'd had the edges rubbed off by the time he got to A Nightmare On Elm Street.
Some of the actors from Las House on the Left have unpleasant stories about working with him, unfortunately.
I did read about the lass that was forced to wet herself campaigning against those types of movies.
Think I'll leave Hills have Eyes til tomorrow night

1 hour ago, scoobles said:

I did read about the lass that was forced to wet herself campaigning against those types of movies.
Think I'll leave Hills have Eyes til tomorrow night

HillsHave Eyes II is a bafflingly terrible film, in case you decide to watch that too.

in honour of your film choice, I decided to watch the Last House on the Left remake again tonight. Very watered down version of the original, but competent enough. BigFatTabbyBoy did not get to join me for this one!

The superb North by Northwest (1959)

Easily the best of Hitchcock's "wrong man" thrillers, Cary Grant is excellent as the advertising man who is mistaken for a CIA operative. James Mason is convincing as a baddiie and Martin Landau plays his camp henchman (which was a risky portrayal choice at the time). Eva Marie Saint is the love interest.

It chanks along at a tremendous pace due to Hitchcock's direction, the crop-duster and Mount Rushmore scenes are brilliantly done and Bernard Hermann's score is superb as always.

Death Of Stalin

This is meant to be a comedy? Utter garbage from start to finish. 1/10 for Paddy Considine. Worst film i've subjected myself to for years!! 

ETA..........Not sure if it's Michael Palin influence but some scenes are ripped off from Life Of Brian.

Edited by jimmy boo

1 hour ago, jimmy boo said:

Death Of Stalin

This is meant to be a comedy? Utter garbage from start to finish. 1/10 for Paddy Considine. Worst film i've subjected myself to for years!! 

ETA..........Not sure if it's Michael Palin influence but some scenes are ripped off from Life Of Brian.

Ooft. Not sure if anyone has expressed a shiter opinion ever.

Death Of Stalin
Reported.

Midsommar - a group of American students travel to Sweden to visit the remote community their friend grew up in, and study their ritual celebration that's about to be performed for the first time in 90 years.

Yeah, it's basically The Wicker Man in Sweden. The wIKEA Man, if you will. The plot goes pretty much how you'd expect, with few surprises, but it has a beautiful dreamlike quality that makes it worth watching once. I can't imagine it would be very interesting to watch through again, though. Looks like a crapton of work went into making it, by the way.

BigFatTabbyBoy was absent for this one too. I'm guessing it would have bored the tits off him.

Once upon a time in Hollywood. 

Wasn't sure in the beginning but sure as eggs is eggs, Tarantino delivers. 

Even Mrs tdb enjoyed it. 

Bloody hell!!!!! :o

Death Of Stalin

I don’t think you know what satire is.

Yesterday
I quite like the Beatles so enjoyed the music throughout the film. It’s a daft story but it was fine to watch.
5/10

Equaliser 2
Enjoyed the 1st one when Denzel went about killing folk in a B&Q. Sequel wasn’t up to much tho, same amount of violence and Denzel was decent in it.
6/10

Look Who's Back
German language comedy film where Hitler appears in modern times on the site of his former bunker and is dismayed at the state he finds his country in. He is found by recently sacked TV reporter who sees him as an opportunity to make a name for himself. The reporter takes Hitler around Germany where he is actually filmed ad libbing with real members of the public who don't realise he is an actor and think he is a comedian or impressionist.  Some of these interactions are quite eye opening both in support and opposition of Hitler. Funny take on 'that' scene from Downfall also. I liked it a lot.........8/10.
ETA.......It's on Netflix.
Really enjoyed this even though 2 of the actor infuriated me and I dont quite know why (The TV show host and the baldy exec at the TV broadcasters)