What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Joker

Never managed to get to see it at the cinema but still enjoyed it at home yesterday. Truly exceptional. The lead performance alone is worth watching it for but the whole thing strikes a perfect balance between understatement and scale. The tracking shots, cityscape shots and crowd scenes look incredible and clearly where much of the budget went, rather than OTT explosions and silly fight scenes etc. Quite an open take on today’s political landscape too, with people lashing out at established establishment figures and replacing them with reprehensible new heroes out of spite and frustration. 

10/10

The Shawshank Redemption 10/10

Arguably the greatest movie ever made. Nothing to add that others havent already said about this. One of those select films that once its on, you have to watch to the very end. I mustve seen this dozens of times and it remains one of my favourites

King Solomon's Mines

This was on some freeview channel earlier. Richard Chamberlain plays a swashbuckling hero searching for lost treasure in deepest Africa. Sharon Stone provides the eye candy.

Now it's fairly safe to say that this is a rip off of Indiana Jones, even though the main character appeared in various books and films long before Raiders of the Lost Ark. This had all the usual tropes like fights on top of moving vehicles, caves full of reptiles and booby traps, crude racial stereotypes and comically evil Germans.

A fairly ridiculous film over all but despite being shite I never felt like switching it off.

5/10

Edited by tongue_tied_danny

Rise of Skywalker

Went into it expecting it to be terrible but it was ok. Still too many references to the old films and not enough original worthwhile content. The Sith world was pretty cool as was the fight on the old death star.
Would like to see a film on the outskirts of the franchise more aimed at adults.
This shit is done to death now.

The Gentlemen. 

Guy Ritchie wishing it was 20 years ago. There is a whiff of the tragic, fat old football hooligan, Oasis and 'avin it about this. Still enjoyed it though. A rough-looking, sleazy Hugh Grant as narrator, Matthew McConaughey as the debonair drug baron and dozens of folk you'll recognise hamming it up with shooters. There's plenty of naff stuff - dialogue that should have been cut, some weak drill/grime, but also loads to enjoy. Colin Farrell pretty much reprises Mickey from Snatch (though easier to understand). After recent P&B chat about T2 Trainspotting, it struck me that this is a similar film. It's as much a homage to stuff like Snatch, Lock Stock, The Long Good Friday (with the closing scene stolen entirely by Ritchie) as it is a standalone piece. 

A bit clunky but enjoyable. 

8/10

4 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

The Gentlemen. 

Guy Ritchie wishing it was 20 years ago. There is a whiff of the tragic, fat old football hooligan, Oasis and 'avin it about this. Still enjoyed it though. A rough-looking, sleazy Hugh Grant as narrator, Matthew McConaughey as the debonair drug baron and dozens of folk you'll recognise hamming it up with shooters. There's plenty of naff stuff - dialogue that should have been cut, some weak drill/grime, but also loads to enjoy. Colin Farrell pretty much reprises Mickey from Snatch (though easier to understand). After recent P&B chat about T2 Trainspotting, it struck me that this is a similar film. It's as much a homage to stuff like Snatch, Lock Stock, The Long Good Friday (with the closing scene stolen entirely by Ritchie) as it is a standalone piece. 

A bit clunky but enjoyable. 

8/10

I also watched this recently and it annoyed me, although to be fair I'm not a fan of gangster movies feel like it's been done to death, i actually asked my girlfriend to Google to see if Guy Richie has a terminal illness as it felt he was trying way too hard to squeeze in as much Guy Richie stuff as possible. 

Hugh Grant nailed his role as a total sleazebag though. 

21 Bridges, missed this in the cinema but its on Prime now

Decent enough police film nice little twist probably enjoyed it more because were all locked down and cant see many new films.

8/10 

REC 3: Genesis - the virus from the first two films pops up at a wedding after one of the guests turns out to have been bitten by the dog that originally alerted the authorities.

Guess the makers were bored with the found footage gimmick by this point, as they stick with it for the first twenty minutes before switching to a more traditional framing. Unfortunately, this entry adds nothing to the story or lore, and is more of a horror-comedy that breaks suspension of disbelief. Not really something that fans of the first two films would really have asked for. BigFatTabbyBoy thought it was OK as a film, but shouldn't have been connected to the original films. Seems fair.

REC 4: Apocalypse - survivors of the films up to now end up on a ship, with the medical crew racing against time to find an antidote.

Still not found footage, but this was more of a follow-up to the main story than the third film was. Unfortunately, it's a mediocre end (for now, at least) to the series, and will feel familiar to fans of the horror genre, even down to the half-hearted "twist" in the third act. What was once an interesting premise has started collapsing under analysis by this point, and it's basically just generic zombie fodder that you'll have seen dozens of times, even if it is competently made. Again, BigFatTabbyBoy thought it was OK, but was disappointed.

Toy Story 4 - Woody fights to keep his new owner united with her favourite toy.

Yeah, this was good, despite being the weakest of the series. Continues Disney's trend towards female characters with agency, which will no doubt leave a few MRA-types seething; all for the good. The story is very similar to what we've already seen in the other films, but they do it well and it's just pleasant to see these characters on an adventure again. So long as they keep it entertaining, I can live with seeing a new Toy Story film every so often, and no doubt we will. BigFatTabbyBoy seemed to like it well enough, but there really wasn't much to discuss, other than characters we'd like to see return (he wants a film about Sid and Lotso becoming junkies; strange lad).

I've kind of gone nuts on the films during lockdown but the last couple have been:

Bunny & The Bull

From the Mighty Boosh director, feels like a slightly more realistic episode of Mighty Boosh where Howard and Vince are replaced by duplicates but then return as supporting characters. I like the Mighty Boosh a lot, so I really enjoyed the madcap nature of it, the greenskin backgrounds and the angry Spanish girl.

7.5/10

Chatterbox!

Saw this mentioned on The Cinema Snob's Nukie review, honestly thought a film about a singing vagina would be a total car crash and yet while it's crass and stupid, it's really not that awful a film.

6/10

On 26/04/2020 at 16:46, tongue_tied_danny said:

King Solomon's Mines

This was on some freeview channel earlier. Richard Chamberlain plays a swashbuckling hero searching for lost treasure in deepest Africa. Sharon Stone provides the eye candy.

Now it's fairly safe to say that this is a rip off of Indiana Jones, even though the main character appeared in various books and films long before Raiders of the Lost Ark. This had all the usual tropes like fights on top of moving vehicles, caves full of reptiles and booby traps, crude racial stereotypes and comically evil Germans.

A fairly ridiculous film over all but despite being shite I never felt like switching it off.

5/10

True story on this- during pre-production one of the boys that ran Cannon kept telling the casting director to "get me the Stone woman" so they hired Sharon Stone, only to find out he'd meant Kathleen Turner and it was too late to get her due to other commitments. 

Vivarium

Batshit mental film about a couple looking for a house end up taken by weirdo estate agent to infinite estate and leaves them where they can't find the way back out. They are left a baby to look after which grows at an alarming rate meaning we don't know how long they are there. Frustrating watch but strangely fascinating............6/10.