What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

A Fish Called Wanda

Not sure why I hadn’t seen this before, but what an absolute joy from start to finish.

Great cast. I mean, really great cast. Big fan of Kevin Kline ( love In & out and Dave) and he’s excellent here, but Michael Palin steals it. Jamie Lee Curtis is a weapons grade WID which helps too.

Just wonderful. 10/10.

Revolutionary road. 8/10

A good wee watch. Kate Winslet and Leo dicaprio are fucking brilliant in this, and there are some great supporting characters.

The perils of settling down in 50s America. They're both deeply unhappy but he loses his bottle when a new life in Paris is planned.

It ended a bit abruptly i thought, and left me wondering wtf. But actually on reflection it was a ok. When you show that type of real life psychological breakdown things rarely end up with a nice bow.

Trolls : World Tour
Not as good as the first one (which wasn’t great either) which I can only describe as an hour and a half of silliness. Found myself pissed off with one of the male trolls having a baby. Il blame that on being tired. No idea what the child will want to watch tonight, hopefully something decent

4/10

Movie 34 (Kid #2) -- Dumbo 4.5/10. The live action remake is, as expected, not as charming or funny as the original and takes a fairly straightforward story and needlessly complicates matters. Also, the original was over and done with in just over an hour. The remake manages to almost double that. The CGI elephant is pretty decent but that's all it has going for it.

Doom: Annihilation - remarkably cheap cash-in on the revival of the video game series, which lazily makes many of the same mistakes of the original Doom film while also shamelessly wishing it could be a remake of Aliens.

Worth a look if you're into dire plotting lifted from a dozen better (but still shit) films, model work worthy of Gerry Anderson's Thunderbirds, plasticky generic space station sets, and rubber poop monster suits. Just don't expect anything that might remotely remind you of the games, or of a competently made film.

Colossal 

Netflix, 7/10

A drunk woman has to move back to her home town after her boyfriend tells her to bolt from their New York apartment.

She meets an old friend from school who runs a bar and ends up with a job at said bar. 

Meanwhile a massive monster is terrorizing Seoul, destroying buildings and killing some folk.

Spoilers follow.

Yeah, turns out that somehow the woman is the monster. She gets drunk at the bar with the owner and his friends and ends up going home through a park, and it is in this park that she somehow 'becomes' the monster. By 'become' I mean that whilst she is in the park in America, the monster in Seoul moves exactly as she does. So if she scratches her head, the monster does. The destruction comes from her stomping around. At first she had no idea. It's only when she watches news footage of the monster that she begins to suspect. She experiments by making arm movements and this confirms that she controls the monster. The monster only appears when she is in the park.

She reveals to her bar owner friend and his pals that she's the monster. When proving it the bar owner accidentally joins in and is revealed in Seoul to be a giant robot 

I won't spoil it any further. Give it a watch.

Edited by DA Baracus

The Babadook

Pretty good horror. A single mother struggles with the death of her husband on the same day as her son is born and after reading a children's book titled Mr Babadook to her son. Afterwards her son believes a monster lives in their house. Not believing him she soon starts to realise that an evil presence is there.

8/10

1 hour ago, Trackdaybob said:

303 Sqn. 

True story of a polish fighter sqn in WW2. 

If you're interested in that stuff, you'll enjoy it. 

6/10

I've been thinking about watching that ,might give it a go this week coming 

Begin Again

Netflix, 7/10

A musician plays a song in a bar in New York after finding out that her singer boyfriend has cheated on her.

At the same time a drunk music producer is fired from his label. He then stumbles in to the bar in which the lassie is performing.

Lots of things happen.

Very enjoyable stuff. The music is really feel good stuff.

I treated myself tonight to a triple bill of cockney wrong uns...

The Squeeze

An alcoholic former cop is forced into action when his ex missus is kidnapped. A very underrated film.

9/10

Villian 

A gang of crooks rob a payroll truck whilst wearing tights on their nappers and wielding sawn off shotguns. Plenty of london gangster cliches here. 7/10

McVicar

The Who are shite, Roger Daltrey is a p***k and this was a pretty tedious film.

5/10

Edited by tongue_tied_danny

The Babadook

Pretty good horror. A single mother struggles with the death of her husband on the same day as her son is born and after reading a children's book titled Mr Babadook to her son. Afterwards her son believes a monster lives in their house. Not believing him she soon starts to realise that an evil presence is there.

8/10

The director made a film last year called The Nightingale which features one of the most horrific things I've ever seen on film.

The Damned United is on BBC2 in about ten minutes.
Is there a better fitba's film?

Are there any good ones (I've never seen TDU but recorded it tonight)? I have it in my mind that it's a sport that doesn't really translate well to cinema or TV, but I can't actually remember watching any football films so may have made that up.

Movie 34 (Me) -- Airplane! 8/10. As we were about to sit down and watch this, I announced that I was 10 when I first saw it. I remember it quite clearly. I also remember quoting entire scenes with my pals at school in the following days. I don't think what I saw was a censored for TV version, I remember going to the video rental store with my dad and we hired it. So what I saw 36 years ago is pretty much what I saw tonight with my 11 year old step-daughter and 13 year-old step-son. I still find it funny. I still see jokes that I'd either missed or forgotten. According to our TV it's PG and with the boobs, the racism, the homophobia, the drugs, the sleeping with the horse, the autopilot blowjob, etc, it's difficult to see how it holds that rating. Boobs in the US will push it to a PG-13 (which probably didn't exist at the time) or maybe even an R. We all, for the most part, enjoyed it. I probably laughed more than everyone apart from the 11 year old who thought it was a hoot.

1 hour ago, accies1874 said:

Are there any good ones (I've never seen TDU but recorded it tonight)? I have it in my mind that it's a sport that doesn't really translate well to cinema or TV, but I can't actually remember watching any football films so may have made that up.

Aye, football films tend to be pish, generally, but I'd say TDU is an exception. 

The Damned United is excellent as it focuses on a real life story, albeit one with various inaccuracies. Most football films tend to be glorified Roy of the Rovers type nonsense where the heroes score the winning goal, save the crucial penalty or defeat the evil Nazis in the last minute.

Most of football is misery, pain and suffering and I'd welcome more films that express that. 

Edited by Bully Wee Villa