What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

30 minutes ago, stanton said:

The Towering Inferno on TCM now . Typical 70's disaster movie  with an all star cast , that used always get shown at Christmas or on Bank Holidays . Looks a wee bit dated nowadays , no CGI or green screen back then 

*pedants corner*

Green screen (or blue screen) has been in use since the 30s. James Bond driving along with his girl beside him as the scenery rushes behind and not matching up the random turns of the wheel Sean Connery does while chatting confirm this.

11 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

*pedants corner*

Green screen (or blue screen) has been in use since the 30s. James Bond driving along with his girl beside him as the scenery rushes behind and not matching up the random turns of the wheel Sean Connery does while chatting confirm this.

Yeah a lot more basic back then . Films like Superman , Star Wars  & Close Encounters  really changed the movie world and basically invented modern special effects 

On 09/04/2020 at 00:07, paul-r-cfc said:

Blinded by the Light

As a massive Springsteen fan, I somehow missed this in the cinema but caught it yesterday on Prime. Classic tale of the strict South Asian father who wants to control his son before seeing the error of his ways at the end. Except this time, with the Boss providing the soundtrack!

In all seriousness, a well acted, uplifting film with just enough emphasis placed on the songs to avoid becoming a cringe-inducing musical. Good stuff.

Love this film. It's based on a true story too. The lead character is based on a real guy who wrote a book about it all called Greetings From Bury Park. Very good read. Safraz Manzoor I think is the guy's name. Some of his articles are pretty good too.

2 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Gah you just reminded me how much I hated the CGI in the re-released Star Wars.

Me too. Absolutely despise it. Han walking on Jabba's tail is bad but the worst is the alien singer making noises right in to the camera. All those bullshit added scenes added nothing, and even detracted a little in some cases. It's Lucas had no idea what the films are about and how they flow.

In hindsight it was a massive flashing warning about the prequels.

With cinemas obviously shut, I watched three 2020 releases that are available from home:

The Truth

This is good IMO. Kore-eda makes the most boringest films ever (although I've only seen a handful) which tends to work even if it isn't always for me. This one was though, mainly because the main character is really engaging (in part thanks to a magic performance from Catherine Deneuve) and the world around her just falls into place to accentuate that. 

Lost Girls

I didn't know this was a true story until the credits started rolling so the fact "An unsolved American mystery" flashed up right at the start made me apprehensive that they'd kind of fucked over a mystery film before any mystery had begun. Its aim was probably to establish that what I was about to watch wasn't something with the aim of providing a big twist, but I wasn't really invested in the investigation throughout until I realised it was real and more of a drama than a mystery, depicting police incompetence/laziness/stubbornness etc. I suppose I should take some of the blame, but nothing was fleshed out or interesting enough to discern any real intentions.

It was v v Three Billboards only without a great cast of characters, wit and something to say. The script (and probably editing) was really choppy and abrupt with scenes regularly ending with a pseudo-climax before quickly cutting away, moving onto something else and then, a scene or two or a few later, continuing it with a resolution of the scene off-screen - if resolved at all. There was also no real flow moment-to-moment which was really disengaging. 

Vivarium

I really, really liked this. Having read the snippets of negative reviews on Rotten Tomatoes, I actually agreed with what most said: the first 30 minutes sets up something that the film struggles to make the most of. However, the story it was telling (rather than the narrative) plus Imogen Poots' character and performance allowed me to pretty much ignore the sound of cogs turning as they tried to make the film last long enough to be considered a feature.

The first 30 minutes are creepy, weird and intriguing. Obviously being trapped in a claustrophobic space isn't nice, but there's something about being trapped in an open space that I find so disconcerting, so that coupled with the idyllic but cookie cutter setting made for an unsettling atmosphere almost immediately. Seeing Jesse Eisenberg playing a gardener was weird too. 

I thought it portrayed the anxieties of a couple at that stage of their relationship well (not that a VL like me would know) and subtly established pre-existing tension between them that occasionally reared its head as everything went to shit. More than anything though, the film deserves credit for encapsulating the circle of life (or a pretty cynical version of it) with just three characters. A film with a premise like this always leaves me waiting to be disappointed when they start explaining stuff (like Us) but Vivarium didn't and went down a weirder, more abstract route so, again, credit for that. A 37% audience rating on RT suggests it won't be for everyone...

Edited by accies1874

10 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Les Valseuses 

Gerard Depardieu and his mate are pair of creepy weirdos who travel around France  harassing women and committing petty crime. 

Quite possibly the most misogynistic film ever made but amusing and very entertaining all the same.

9/10

There's now an American remake called The Jesus Rolls starting John Turturro. His character, Jesus, is the same character that he plays in The Big Lebowski. I shudder to think about how shite it will be.

The Jesus Rolls

OK, so it's not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. It's been toned down a lot compared to the original. The rampant sexual harassment has been left out, some of the story has been changed but a lot of the scenes were virtually the same. I was surprised when I saw that Audrey Tautou is in it and I'm pleased that she's in the nack in a couple of scenes. A fine looking woman.

6/10

12 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Gah you just reminded me how much I hated the CGI in the re-released Star Wars.

10 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Me too. Absolutely despise it. Han walking on Jabba's tail is bad but the worst is the alien singer making noises right in to the camera. All those bullshit added scenes added nothing, and even detracted a little in some cases. It's Lucas had no idea what the films are about and how they flow.

In hindsight it was a massive flashing warning about the prequels.

There should be some sort of fascistic iron law of moviemaking that says you can only use CGI if you absolutely can't make the scene otherwise. George Lucas's Star Wars were at their best when he was limited both by technology and the opinions of other people.

Movie 27 (Me) -- Dodgeball 6/10. I remember loving this when it first came out. It hasn't aged all that well in the intervening years but still a few laughs to be had.

Uncut Gems 10/10

Just superb manic energy in this from start to finish, felt stressed out the entire time in a really good way. Adam Sandler has come a long way as a serious actor from his days of developing autism from 9/11. That burst of L'amour Toujours in the credits was like taking a vallie.

2 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

The Social Network

What a bunch of absolute c***s - very few characters that are remotely likeable.

How accurate a depiction is this film?

The book it's based on is utter shite, but I reckon this adaptation is probably pretty close to the truth, with Aaron Sorkin making it sound good.

16 minutes ago, MSU said:

The book it's based on is utter shite, but I reckon this adaptation is probably pretty close to the truth, with Aaron Sorkin making it sound good.

Aye, I watched some interviews - they reckon they had to quicken the pace of the movie to cram in the screenplay as it was to good to cut.

I'm really just wondering whether Zuckerberg et al are as bad as they're portrayed here - I suspect they probably are. 

Kelly's Heroes , Clint Eastwood , Donald Sutherland & Telly Savalas . Watchable caper movie set behind enemy lines in WW11 as a motley crew of misfits plan to steal gold bullion . Not to taxing on the mind 

The Florida Project

Follows the story of a struggling single mum who lives at a motel with her 6 year old daughter. She along with her group of friends get up to all sorts during summer break. Outstanding performance from the wee lassie Brooklyn Prince who plays the 6 year old at the same age. Saw her recently in Apple tv series Home Before Dark and was impressed with her performance in that too. Defo has a big future in acting.

8/10

Beautiful Thing - 10/10

An absolute delight of a film. Lost count of the times I've watched it. Adapted from Jonathan Harvey's play it's relatively low budget but brilliant performances from the lead characters as well as Linda Henry make it. The soundtrack is spot on as well.

Movie 28 (Missus) -- Nacho Libre 1/10. About twenty minutes in, I had to ask if this was supposed to be a comedy. Apparently, it is but there was not a single laugh in the house, although I'll admit to smiling a little at the end. Gets one point because the lassie that plays the nun is a total wid, and it's genuinely impressive that someone could make a Jack Black movie that isn't in the least bit funny.

Mission impossible 111 , Once again Ethan Hunt ( Tom Cruise )  has to save the world  from the bad guy this time it's  the late Philip Seymour Hoffman he's up against . Much the same as previous and subsequent films, loads of explosions and plenty bullets flying none of which ever seem to hit our heroes, lots of cliffhanger moments and plenty CGI , watchable enough for a Sunday afternoon 

2 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Best thing about the social network is the Trent Reznor soundtrack

It is unquestionably good. I've always liked the "Do I have your attention?" scene.