What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Just Mercy

Another based on a true story. A fight for justice against a black man wrongly sentenced to death by execution in Alabama based on false evidence. He is defended by another black man, a Harvard educated lawyer called Bryan Stevenson. Powerful stuff!

8/10

The Banker

Slow paced but good story based on true events in 1960's Texas during the civil rights era. Two African American entrepreneurs hatch a business plan to buy property by hiring a white man to act as the head of their company while they act as a chauffeur and janitor. Good performances from Ssmuel L Jackson and Anthony Mackie. Nicholas Hoult also stars.

7/10

The Kid who Would be King

Easy watch about a wee guy who is chosen to wield Excalibur in the modern day to fight off demons and save Britain from slavery.
Entertaining enough with some funny moments. My standards for films are not high at the moment. Anything to kill a few hours. Andy Serkis son is the lead

With my family being in self isolation due to the Mrs being pregnant and the bairn having already being hospitalised due to asthma it’s been a movie night every night at Lichtie23 towers

Lion King (2019)

Loved the original and loved this as well. The CGI was immense throughout and the story didn’t change much from the original, disappointed they renamed Ed the hyena though as he was my favourite. Beyoncé ruining a few songs was annoying as well.

9/10

Diego Maradona

Didn’t know what to expect from this but loved the Senna film the same director done a few years ago. Don’t usually like films that I have to read the subtitles but they didn’t take away from my overall enjoyment of the film. Didn’t actually know much about his years at Napoli so that was interesting to find out. What a talent......but what a waste as well.

7/10

Mary Poppins Returns

Didn’t think it was as good as the original. Spent the majority of the film wanting to give the youngest Banks child a slap. Thought Emily Blunt was good as Poppins as was Ben Whislow as the grown up Michael Banks. Songs weren’t as catchy as the original but was a pleasant enough watch.

6/10

Toy Story 4 tonight and a Secret Life of Pets 2 tomorrow.

During these days, I had rented some movies from iTunes for watching at home. However, the iTunes rentals will be expired in some hours. To keep them for a long time, I searched on Google and found a powerful tool. It is iTunes Video Converter Windows, which can convert iTunes movie files as local files and save them to your computer so that you can watch them anytime and anywhere without any restriction.

31 minutes ago, darry said:

During these days, I had rented some movies from iTunes for watching at home. However, the iTunes rentals will be expired in some hours. To keep them for a long time, I searched on Google and found a powerful tool. It is iTunes Video Converter Windows, which can convert iTunes movie files as local files and save them to your computer so that you can watch them anytime and anywhere without any restriction.

imageproxy.php(3).gif.98dbefa5a7b9e8ac133ee11103fd6d88.gif

Jurassic Park

8/10 - An absolute classic that still holds up well. It will be 30 years old in 3 years time. Let that one sink in you old b*****d!

Jurassic Park: The Lost World

4/10 - Not an absolute classic and has not held up well at all. I had this on video as a youth and loved it. It is gash. Almost all the characters are absolute morons. Ian Malcolm is the main exception. He tells everyone to belt the f**k up and warns them repeatedly. Despite being right every single time he is pretty much ignored. Some shit about a T-Rex happens. Raptors are downgraded and one is defeated by the parallel bars. There's an annoying kid. Some army type goons get fucked up. Julianne Moore looks absolutely lovely. 

On 25/03/2020 at 23:54, DA Baracus said:

Jurassic Park

8/10 - An absolute classic that still holds up well. It will be 30 years old in 3 years time. Let that one sink in you old b*****d!

Jurassic Park: The Lost World

4/10 - Not an absolute classic and has not held up well at all. I had this on video as a youth and loved it. It is gash. Almost all the characters are absolute morons. Ian Malcolm is the main exception. He tells everyone to belt the f**k up and warns them repeatedly. Despite being right every single time he is pretty much ignored. Some shit about a T-Rex happens. Raptors are downgraded and one is defeated by the parallel bars. There's an annoying kid. Some army type goons get fucked up. Julianne Moore looks absolutely lovely. 

I used to come in hammered from uni and put on one of the Jurassic Parks, skip all the exposition and get immediately to the dinosaurs wrecking shit. Haven't watched The Lost World in about 6 years but I remembered it being really funny.

Like everyone else I'm using my quarantine productively to do nothing but consume content all day. Have watched a few movies.

Godzilla 7/10

I really enjoyed this. The storyline with Bryan Cranston and his family was typical Hollywood fluff but the monster stuff was great. Less is more and more blockbusters could learn from this and, imo, the criminally underrated Cloverfield which did their best to build up to the reveal of the monsters instead of hammering you over the head with a 2 hour laser battle that seems mandatory in every superhero movie these days. A lot of great shots as well. The one with the two soldiers lying on the tracks and the skydive into the city near the end are the two that come to mind. Also having the Japanese dude be the only one to say Godzilla's name the first few times was a great choice. He says it perfectly.

Justice League 4/10

I'm an apologist for Zac Snyder's homoerotic (not even) subtext which is always really funny but this is dreadful in every plot point, character design, and piece of dialogue that Josh Whedon signed off on. Jason Momoa's Andrew WK Aqua Man is probably the most entertaining part of the movie and I laughed a couple of times at Ezra Miller's lines but Whedon should be tried for war crimes. As an aside, it's mental the sheer amount of talent these movies accumulate even for just bit part roles.

Princess Mononoke 8/10

This is great. Feels like a commentary on capitalism or industrialisation in Japan that's just a great watch with great voice acting and a great soundtrack. Only beef was Ashitaka being a permanent DM slider.

Godzilla: King of the Monsters 3/10

Felt like I was being hammered over the head in contrast to the previous entry in the series and nobody looked like they could be arsed particularly Charles Dance. Did like the final scene with Godzilla and the Japanese guy but didn't care about anything else that went on. 

Paddington 2

Like the first one, an utter joy from start to finish. Plenty of laughs and heartwarming moments, and Hugh Grant was excellent as the eccentric villain.

Paddington is an absolute top boy, and I wasn’t crying at the end, you were crying!

14 minutes ago, J_Stewart said:

Paddington 2

Like the first one, an utter joy from start to finish. Plenty of laughs and heartwarming moments, and Hugh Grant was excellent as the eccentric villain.

Paddington is an absolute top boy, and I wasn’t crying at the end, you were crying!

I honestly think this is a perfect movie. I watched it with the family a week or so ago, and went into a foul mood when Kid #2 interrupted during the ending where neither one of us was crying. We'll watch it again before all this business is over.

Edited by MSU

On 19/03/2020 at 20:31, MSU said:

My family has been having a movie night every night while under self-isolation. Kid #1 is 13, Kid #2 is 11.

Movie 1 (Kid #1) -- Rocketman 8/10. Really enjoyed this. Loved the surreal approach. Taron Egerton was a great lead and who'd've thunk that kid out of Press Gang could direct a movie as well as this?

Movie 2 (Kid #2) -- Bohemian Rhapsody 2/10. Hated it more at home than I did at the cinema.

Movie 3 (Me) -- Happy Death Day 7/10. Cracking PG13 horror movie. Kids loved it, even the one that hates horror movies. Jessica "Something For The Dads" Rothe, who was 29 when she was playing a college student, is a total wid, which doesn't hurt.

Movie 4 (Missus) -- Some Like It Hot 8/10. I used to think of this as an easy 10/10 movie. It's not aged all that well. Jack Lemmon is creepy as f**k and Tony Curtis is pretending to be an impotent millionaire so Marilyn Monroe will give him his hole. Still funny.

Movie 5 (Kid #1) -- Happy Death Day 2U 7.5/10. A better movie than the original although not a horror movie at all. It's fun. It's funny. It's a clever wee story. Everyone loved it.

Movie 6 (Kid #2) -- Kindergarten Cop 6/10. Hadn't seen this since it came out. It's a perfectly serviceable 90s comedy and Arnie is better than any of us have a right to expect.

Movie 7 (Me) -- Paddington 2 10/10. It's a perfect movie.

Movie 8 (Missus) -- Spiderman Into The Spiderverse 6/10. Visually stunning, but I hate superhero movies and the story bored me quite a bit.

Movie 9 (Kid #1) -- Aladdin 3/10. The live action version has no reason to exist and Will Smith is a pale imitation of Robin Williams.

Movie 10 (Kid #2) -- Mr Popper's Penguins 7/10. I enjoyed this far more than I expected. Couldn't help but wonder how honking Jim Carey's apartment would be a day after all those penguins moved in. Was also shocked at how Popper's family gave him such a hard time for given the penguins to a zoo and cleaning the place up. Fucking unreasonable c***s.

Movie 11 (Me) -- The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie 8.5/10. Watched this because I do a SpongeBob podcast with Kid #2 and we were due to review this. I find the show hit and miss, but this was great. It was funny throughout and the Hasslehoff denouement was hilarious. 

Movie 12 (Missus) -- The Emperor's New Groove 6.5/10. First time viewing. It was okay, but the emperor is so dislikable for so much of the movie, I was amazed that anyone continued to want to help him out after he turned into a llama. In its favor, it was short.

Movie 13 (Kid #1) -- Space Jam 4/10. I reckon this would be more impressive back in 1996. I might be wrong, but Bugs Bunny et al are largely irrelevant these days. I quite enjoyed the bits with Larry Byrd and Charles Berkley etc losing their skills

7 minutes ago, paul-r-cfc said:

More info on the Spongebob podcast, please and thank you.

It's called SpongeBob SquareCast and for a while it was the #1 TV and Film Review podcast in the Cayman Islands, which was nice. We started it just over a year ago and because Kid #2 wanted to do it segment by segment, we just finished Season One last week. You can find it in Apple podcasts, Spotify etc, or here on Buzzsprout: 

http://spongebobsquarecast.buzzsprout.com/

Taken advantage of the 30 day trial for Shudder which seems like a cracking investment so far (£4.99 per month going forward and a lot of things I want to watch - but doubt I'll keep it long term)

Caught a few classics that I've never got round to watching:

The Changeling

Absolute masterful performance by George C Scott. Certainly holds up and it's a clear inspiration for modern horror such as Sinister and The Conjuring et al. It's much better done than those IMO although is slightly slow in parts. I do think that pacing is something that's gone out the window in modern horror and that's maybe why I found it a tad slow - but I prefer that to the all action horrors we get now.

9/10

Hellraiser

This is basically a family drama with a gore filled filling added to it. I much preferred the mythology around the Cenobites than I did the actual story, but the effects largely hold up (Not all the time) and it's a decent story. Currently half way through the 2nd film and much prefer that so far tbh.

6.5/10

Just now, Ludo*1 said:

Taken advantage of the 30 day trial for Shudder which seems like a cracking investment so far (£4.99 per month going forward and a lot of things I want to watch - but doubt I'll keep it long term)

I think it has the new Rob Zombie movie, 3 From Hell, if you're into that kinda thing.

Movie 14 (Kid #2) -- School of Rock 8/10. Haven't seen this in years and it's aged pretty well. Still can't believe Mike White was allowed to play Jack's flatmate. He's awful. He co-wrote it so maybe question asked, question answered. The final Battle of the Bands was glorious.

Edited by MSU