What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Look Who's Back (2015)
Pretty hilarious satire based on the book by Timur Vermes. Adolf Hitler is somehow transported to modern day and wakes up on a patch of open ground, alive and well. People see him as a flawless impersonator who refuses to break character. The ranting Hitler goes viral, becomes a YouTube star, gets his own TV show, and people begin to listen. Some really funny scenes,  like Hitler trying to raise money by doing sketches in town square and there's a great scene later which parodies the famous Hitler rant in the film Downfall.

8/10

1 hour ago, JustOneCornetto said:

Look Who's Back (2015)
Pretty hilarious satire based on the book by Timur Vermes. Adolf Hitler is somehow transported to modern day and wakes up on a patch of open ground, alive and well. People see him as a flawless impersonator who refuses to break character. The ranting Hitler goes viral, becomes a YouTube star, gets his own TV show, and people begin to listen. Some really funny scenes,  like Hitler trying to raise money by doing sketches in town square and there's a great scene later which parodies the famous Hitler rant in the film Downfall.

8/10

I watched that on youtube a few months ago. It was pretty funny.

Anyway, I got dragged to see Cats in the cinema through my work. It was quite bad.

Escape From Pretoria 7/10

Im a sucker for a prison break type films and enjoyed this despite some dodgy South African accents

Black And Blue 6/10

Rookie policewoman catches her colleagues on her bodycam murdering a group of drug dealers and becomes the hunted in a run down area. Plenty shady cops and not many people she can trust

Siege At Jadotsville 7/10

Group of Irish soldiers get sent on a UN peacekeeping trip to the Congo. It goes tits up and they end up in a Zulu-type scenario with the numbers against them and no help forthcoming

Kokoda: 39th Battalion (2006)

Movie about a group of reservist/part-time Australian soldiers tasked with defending the Kokoda Trail to Port Moresby in Papua New Guinea against the invading Japanese Army.

Horrific conditions, malaria, dysentry & tropical jungle combat.

Not really a part of WWII that gets a lot of attention on movies, it's worth watching.

Next stop for the Japanese could well have been Australia, it's a decent enough true story Oz flag waver.

7.5/10

On 17/03/2020 at 20:56, MixuFixit said:

Spenser Confidential

Mark Wahlberg cop movie on Netflix. Decent enough film, some fun action sequences, veers a bit too suddenly from humour to drama at times. Alan Arkin is underused.

7/10

7 is probably about right, wouldn't grumble at 6 but any higher or lower is wrong. Decent way to spend a couple of hours but won't watch again. 

My family has been having a movie night every night while under self-isolation. Kid #1 is 13, Kid #2 is 11.

Movie 1 (Kid #1) -- Rocketman 8/10. Really enjoyed this. Loved the surreal approach. Taron Egerton was a great lead and who'd've thunk that kid out of Press Gang could direct a movie as well as this?

Movie 2 (Kid #2) -- Bohemian Rhapsody 2/10. Hated it more at home than I did at the cinema.

Movie 3 (Me) -- Happy Death Day 7/10. Cracking PG13 horror movie. Kids loved it, even the one that hates horror movies. Jessica "Something For The Dads" Rothe, who was 29 when she was playing a college student, is a total wid, which doesn't hurt.

Movie 4 (Missus) -- Some Like It Hot 8/10. I used to think of this as an easy 10/10 movie. It's not aged all that well. Jack Lemmon is creepy as f**k and Tony Curtis is pretending to be an impotent millionaire so Marilyn Monroe will give him his hole. Still funny.

Movie 5 (Kid #1) -- Happy Death Day 2U 7.5/10. A better movie than the original although not a horror movie at all. It's fun. It's funny. It's a clever wee story. Everyone loved it.

I've been threatening the family with Evil Dead 2 for my next pick. Does that make me a bad person? I think it might help 11 year old Kid #2 approach horror in a different way. Or scar her forever. Thoughts?

4 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

You could argue that evil dead 3 is a safer introduction but then all the jokes about Ash's knows-the-ropes-by-now demeanour won't make sense.

The chainsawing his evil hand off scene in evil dead 2 is a wee bit strong for kids that age imo

I watched it again last night myself and yeah, I reckon it’s maybe a couple of years yet before I should share. 

The Informer 6/10

Convicted felon gets put back in prison to set up a the Polish mob. Decent cast on paper, Joel Kinnaman, Ana De Armas, Rosamund Pike and Clive Owen.

The Good Liar 6/10

Helen Mirren and Ian Mckellen is what at first appears to be an elderly conman story but turns into something a lot more sinister. The two leads are very good as expected but theres something lacking

Goon

DVD

8/10

Unexpectedly excellent comedy starring Sean William Scott, Jay Baruchel, Alison Pill and Liev Schrieber. Surprisingly touching as well. Makes me really want to watch ice hockey and move to Halifax in Canada. Definitely going to see Dundee Stars once they're back.

Goon: Last Of The Enforcers

Netflix

7/10

Entertaining follow up to Goon. Much of the same humour and warmth is present here as the first. Falls a bit short but still funny and still warm.

13 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Goon

DVD

8/10

Unexpectedly excellent comedy starring Sean William Scott, Jay Baruchel, Alison Pill and Liev Schrieber. Surprisingly touching as well. Makes me really want to watch ice hockey and move to Halifax in Canada. Definitely going to see Dundee Stars once they're back.

Goon: Last Of The Enforcers

Netflix

7/10

Entertaining follow up to Goon. Much of the same humour and warmth is present here as the first. Falls a bit short but still funny and still warm.

They're both decent enough but Slapshot and Youngblood are both much better ice hockey films.

41 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

They're both decent enough but Slapshot and Youngblood are both much better ice hockey films.

Haven't seen them. Will look them up.

But do they have Alison Pill? She looks like a fairly attractive woman but when she smiles her whole face lights up and makes your soul light up.

Edited by DA Baracus