What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Having heard about Kirk Douglas on the news this morning, I dug out  'Ace In The Hole'.

Haven't seen it for years (possibly decades) and it's lost nothing.

It's from 1951, Billy Wilder at his best, Kirk Douglas at his best, Film Noir at its absolute finest.

If you get the time,  set aside 1hour 51 minutes to watch it. There's not one wasted scene. Not one wasted minute. 

4 minutes ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

Having heard about Kirk Douglas on the news this morning, I dug out  'Ace In The Hole'.

Haven't seen it for years (possibly decades) and it's lost nothing.

It's from 1951, Billy Wilder at his best, Kirk Douglas at his best, Film Noir at its absolute finest.

If you get the time,  set aside 1hour 51 minutes to watch it. There's not one wasted scene. Not one wasted minute. 

Suppose I'd better give it a 10/10

Rhythm Section - 5/10
Just seemed to jump about all over the place towards the end and the supposed twist was the least surprising thing I've seen in a long time. Went into the cinema with low expectations and I got what I expected.
EDIT - cool car chase scene though.

Agree with this. Went during the day on Monday after the super bowl. Fell asleep at the start (damn you odeon luxe chairs). Woke up by LOUD NOISES that kept going throughout.
Richard Jewell
Security guard at the Atlanta olympics discovers a bomb which goes off killing two people. FBI suspect he was the bomber and put him under investigation......7/10.

V good movie 7/10 for me also.

Beautiful day in the neighbourhood. Very nice feel good film. Tom Hanks is phenomenal playing Mister Rodgers. Only negative is the trailers made it look like this would be a movie around Mr Rodgers life through being interviewed for a tv show, magazine whatever. When infact the main character and plot revolves around the journo conducting the piece on him. Still enjoyable.

6.5/10

Joker

Dont think it was the amazing film some portrayed it to be. Phoenix was great in parts.
I get that there was some clever twists and metaphors for depression and leaving you guessing if it was all real or not.
At least it was an actual decent plot and characters unlike most of the vacuous superhero pish.
Batman films usually always deliver.

Birds of Prey: and the really long subtitle about Harley Quinn

I'm a massive Batman fan, so I'll watch anything in that universe. I like Margot Robbie, so I'll watch any old shite she's in. That completely backfired with the utterly dreadful Suicide Squad, so I ad the fear for this one. 

It's actually quite good. Robbie is brilliant as Harley, there's plenty of daft violence, and the story itself isn't too bad. My only annoyance is the use of the Cassandra Cain name for the kid, given who that character is in the Batman universe.

Parasite 8/10. A really enjoyable movie with a great plot line and fantastic characters/development of them. The build up to the near end scene is expertly done as you can see Mr Kim slowly spiralling towards hating upper class people. It then ends on a bit of an emotional note after the gory aforementioned near end scene.

I’d honestly have it as my best picture winner compared to the other nominations.

Uncut Gems. 9/10. Had a quick search of this forum to see what other folk thought of it and no one seemed to enjoy it like I did. I thought it was exciting, with a great performance from Sandler. Great pace throughout. 
I watched this earlier on. Quite enjoyed it as well plus an unexpected ending...

Uncut Gems. 9/10. Had a quick search of this forum to see what other folk thought of it and no one seemed to enjoy it like I did. I thought it was exciting, with a great performance from Sandler. Great pace throughout. 
I watched this earlier on. Quite enjoyed it as well plus an unexpected ending...

Birds of Prey: and the really long subtitle about Harley Quinn
I'm a massive Batman fan, so I'll watch anything in that universe. I like Margot Robbie, so I'll watch any old shite she's in. That completely backfired with the utterly dreadful Suicide Squad, so I ad the fear for this one. 
It's actually quite good. Robbie is brilliant as Harley, there's plenty of daft violence, and the story itself isn't too bad. My only annoyance is the use of the Cassandra Cain name for the kid, given who that character is in the Batman universe.
Just seen it tonight. Didnt think that much of it . Meh

Parasite - 9/10

Probably film of the year for me. Absolutely outstanding. Tense throughout, and a wonderfully nuts ending.

The Two Popes - 7/10

Jonathan Pryce is absolutely excellent and turns this from what would be an above average film into a very enjoyable watch.

Erin Brockovich - 8/10

Can't believe I'd never seen this before. Julia Roberts with the performance of her career.

Uncut Gems - 8/10

I was completely stressed out most of the film willing Sandler's character to make any other choices than the ones he made, but that's the whole point i suppose. His life is spiraling out of control and he can't help himself even when the answer is right in front of him, excellent depiction of an addict.

The Lighthouse - 8/10

2 hours of thinking I was going mad and then it clicked that that's the intention of the movie, thought it was great with 2 really strong performances.

Rooting for Marriage Story tonight, although 1917 will obviously win.

In order of preference without having seen FvF or Parasite:

Marriage Story
OUATIH
Little Women
The Irishman
Joker
Jojo Rabbit

Just shows you that everyone has a different opinion. I thought the Irishman was very good and well acted (as you would expect for the cast), really loved the Joker too despite it being a hard watch at times due to mental health issues that the main character had. Tried to watch Marriage Story but really struggled with the Scarlett Johansson character, just really annoying. Ended up quitting as thought it was no more than a made for TV movie. Couldn’t actually believe that it was nominated and had to go back and check it was the same film. Might have to watch the remainder to see if it improves! Also think that Just Mercy should have been nominated but I guess you can’t nominate everything.

I loved it. The previous poster didn't manage to get through the first 20 mins and I wasn't sure my wife was either. The whole idea of the start is to disconcert you and see the world as Howard sees it - I get the idea that it isn't for everybody.

Just such a tense, anxious movie - it never let up. Thought Sandler was great, not many redeeming qualities in his character but I was still rooting for him.