What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

I enjoyed 1917 as a spectacle but the story, acting, and dialogue felt pretty weak. 7/10
Everything after the main character met the woman and her baby was top notch, as that was pretty much 100% spectable. A lot of the first 90 minutes felt like padding to justify the gimmick.

Day of Anger also known as I giorni dell'ira.

Very solid spaghetti western with Lee van Cleef as an aging, cold blooded gunslinger who take a young man who's had a harsh upbringing under his wing as an apprentice/stooge. Fil is really focusing on the menacing Talby (van Cleef) and his relationship with Scott Mary (Giuliano Gemma). It weakens a bit as the focus shifts more towards the more confident Scott as he starts to usurp Talby, but the ending is short, abrupt and absolutely fits the tone of the film.

Cracking soundtrack as well- I think some of it may have been used in Djano Unchained? It sounds very familiar.

8/10

Edited by Comrie

The Good Liar. Helen Mirren and Ian McKellen both give excellent performances in a film which I can only really describe (without giving everything away) as a cross between Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and The Odessa File. Really enjoyed a film where the actors, not the CGI or effects,are the stars.

8/10. Highly recommended.

The Good Liar is excellent, and the plot goes places that you don't really consider until it happens.

Didn't know wherelse to put this, but I've loved horror in the 2010s. It's been a real golden age for the genre. Decided to put together a top 10 and I assume I'm not the only fan of the genre on here so see what ye think... in order...

Mandy
The Wailing
Trollhunter
It Comes at Night
One Cut of the Dead
Bone Tomahawk
Midsommar
Grave Encounters
The Void
Housebound

Epic
10/10

Danger Close

Australian film about the battle of Long Tan in Vietnam in 1966 where Australian and New Zealand troops were heavily outnumbered during a day long battle they were not expecting.

8/10.

Edited by jimmy boo

Beats

10/10

On Sky Cinema now.

Scotland, 1994, and teenage friends Johnno and Spanner share a final night out together before the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act bans outdoor rave parties across the UK, and circumstances take them in different directions.
Co-writer/director Brian Welsh's comedy drama, starring Cristian Ortega, Martin Donaghy and Brian Ferguson

It is a lot better than the Sky synopsis above sounds, really well acted and if you are over 40 or have ever been to a rave/taken drugs you'll love the mood created with the direction and music. The locations used could all be in the Worst Town in Scotland thread.

Possibly more swearing than Trainspotting.

1 hour ago, eindhovendee said:

Beats

10/10

On Sky Cinema now.

Scotland, 1994, and teenage friends Johnno and Spanner share a final night out together before the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act bans outdoor rave parties across the UK, and circumstances take them in different directions.
Co-writer/director Brian Welsh's comedy drama, starring Cristian Ortega, Martin Donaghy and Brian Ferguson

It is a lot better than the Sky synopsis above sounds, really well acted and if you are over 40 or have ever been to a rave/taken drugs you'll love the mood created with the direction and music. The locations used could all be in the Worst Town in Scotland thread.

I mind reading a review of that when it was released and thought it sounded great.  Will check it out now it's on Sky

Once upon a time in Hollywood

"And you are?"

"I'm the Devil and I'm here to do the Devils business"

"......Nah it was dumber than that"

A strange film.  Nothing really happened in it until that fantastic brutal end.  I've never laughed so hard over ultra violence.  But I enjoyed the whole thing.  Mostly due to the great chemistry between Pitt and Dicaprio.

8/10

Bombshell
Really well acted, looks brilliant, but it just seemed to be missing something to make it a really top level film. Would watch again though.
Watched this last night and nearly turned it off after 20 minutes. Glad I stuck with it though as it ended up quite good.

On 31/01/2020 at 12:44, eindhovendee said:

Watched it the other night, thought it was very good. However must admit to spending just short of an hour pissing about with cables trying to get it in colour.

The Lighthouse. No idea what to make of it, quite a bizarre film with some real fucked-up weird moments. William Dafoe's beard is without doubt the star of the film.

The Rhythm Section. Run of the mill thriller where woman turns assassin and goes on missions fuelled by revenge.

Agree with the above that The Gentlemen was very good and Hugh Grant was brilliant; never warmed to him in anything I've seen him in before  but his appearance in the trailer made me go and see the film. 1917 was also good and I liked the single camera approach a lot but the pacing was off at times. The battle settles were brutal.

I also want to mention 'Wolf' which I saw months ago in the cinema. A horror film which was one of the biggest pieces of shit I've ever seen and where over half of the folk watching walked out during the film. Not in  the slightest bit scary due to f**k all happening for so much of the film. the acting was abysmal and a lot of the time it was impossible to have any idea what they were saying.

Edited by meanmistermustard

Uncut Gems - 5/10

Spoiler

f**k knows how this managed to garner any kind of Oscar buzz; Netflix must be slipping brown envelopes to film critics.

A slightly above average film compared to those that we've come to expect from Adam Sandler.  

The arse on his bit on the side though is absolutely obscene and the film is worth watching for that alone.