What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Two Popes - 7/10 (Netflix)

Anthony Hopkins and Jonathan Pryce play Pope Ratzinger and Pope Francis respectively, in a fictionalised meeting between the two.  It's really a buddy movie with Hopkins playing the more conservative and traditional version of the church while Pryce plays the more liberal (for the church) version and while the but heads at the start of their meeting, slowly and surely they develop a friendship and respect for each other.  Hopkins and Pryce are just brilliant in this, and the end credits scene of the 2 of them watch the World Cup final together is just a joy to watch.

Knive Out - 8/10 (Cinema)

Rian Johnson's homage to the classic murder mysteries is a joy to watch, a brilliant whodunit where the answer is clearly there but never revealed until the end.  There are some really clever moments that make a lot more sense once the outcome is known, I would love to see this a second time around as I'm sure there are many little nods in the first half which i missed the first time around. 

The Four Feathers (1939)

Set in Victorian era, young Harry Faversham, from a military family is at odds with himself joining up, and maintaining family tradition, he does though as a commissioned officer.

Just before his regiment is to be sent to The Sudan he resigns, 4 feathers are then sent to him, to mark his cowardice.

3 of them are from 3 pals in the regiment, the other from his sweetheart.

Determined to prove himself, Harry heads to Africa to redeem himself.

A cracking adventure film, of it's time.

Filmed along The Nile delta, Egypt & The Sudan etc it is a visual joy & a classic.

8/10

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

It was fine. Can't see myself racing to watch it again but it was a good way to spend a couple of hours. It was visually spectacular right from the word go, and there's a saber fight which is just absolutely stunning in there. But for the most part I wasn't really invested in it.

6/10

Reasonable Doubt (2014)

Decent thriller. Isn't the worst. Dominic Cooper is wooden as f**k throughout. Samuel L Jackson doesn't get enough prominent screen time to save it and make it a genuine worthwhile film.

I watched it with the family and it was a 'crowd' pleaser in that not a single person despised it. A few really liked it. It's a time passer. It won't stick with me and I won't be going out recommending it to people, but I certainly didn't dislike it.

5/10.

I watched Groundhog Day. I forgot how good Bill Murray is in it. Listening to Sonny and Cher and having to meet Ned Ryerson everyday would drive me insane. A very good film, and quite possibly Egon Spengler's best work as a director. 8/10.

51 minutes ago, Loki said:

I watched Groundhog Day. I forgot how good Bill Murray is in it. Listening to Sonny and Cher and having to meet Ned Ryerson everyday would drive me insane. A very good film, and quite possibly Egon Spengler's best work as a director. 8/10.

385799929_unnamed(2).gif.8d69ff17a10e0455d1be80e9c6c49198.gif

The Lighthouse

Holy shit! Roger Eggers got loads of praise for The Witch but I hated it, so I was a bit wary going into this, but I really shouldn't have been as this is utterly fantastic and definitely worth the praise that has been heaped on it. There's a brilliant sense of the madness that both men, Pattinson especially, are falling into. The whole thing is something of a battle of wills, which has short spells of some friendship kinda breaking through.

It's brilliantly made and puts you right into the middle of the animosity between the two men.

10/10

The King's Choice (2016)

Norwegian movie, April 1940 & the Germans invade Norway.

The King has a choice to make, and the film follows these 3 or so days in April, after receiving an ultimatum from Hitler.

Well worth watching, an excellent production & a bit of a Norwegian flag-waver.

Solid 8/10

A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood

Tom Hanks plays Fred Rogers who presented a kids TV programme in the US from 1968 to 2001. Matthew Rhys (The Americans) is journalist Lloyd Vogel who is sent by his magazine editor to interview Rogers for a short article on heroes. The story is as much about Vogel being forced to confront his broken relationship with his estranged father as it is about Rogers. Most enjoyable.

8/10. 

Destroyer (Netflix)

Nicole Kidmnan looking like she's had all her plastic surgery reversed. No a fan of hers but this is  a decent effort. Was ready to give up after 20 minutes as it's a bit slow and she mumbles a lot but persevered and enjoyed it.

7/10

Paddington 2 (BBC1 Tellybox)

Had heard a lot of good things about this but wary of watching children's films when my kids are in their 30's. No worries here, cracking film.

9/10