What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

As I'm back on sleepless night duties with a newborn I've been getting a rare opportunity to watch whatever the f**k I like on the TV (..at 3am).

Sat and watch Terminator 2: Special Edition which I hadn't seen before.  The extra and lengthend scenes don't add a huge amount to the film.

I've always liked T2, but think the original is superior.  I realised that what bugs me about T2 is that it's partly responsible for the decline in quality of the film's that follow.  Much of that is trying to capture that lightning in a bottle that T2 was.  We'd never seen anything like it when it was released.  

My main gripe with it I've realised is that making the T800 a "goodie" from this film on has ruined the character.  Arnie was a reliative unknown for the first film, but was well on the road to superstardom by the time T2 came about.  Having him as the baddie again wouldn't play well with audiences.  

Having the T800 as almost a comic sidekick is shite. 

Still, T2 is still a great film in its own right, but has destroyed the franchise. 

7.5/10 

Edited by KnightswoodBear

Superhero/comic book films never really do it for me but have been knocked out by how good the series of Watchmen is on Sky Atlantic/HBO. Then, hearing Chadwick Boseman eloquently take apart Martin Scorcese's criticism of the genre I thought I'd give one a go so watched Black Panther. I'd read and heard how it was a really shining light of the genre and I liked the soundtrack (sucker for a bit of Kendrick or Sza). Maybe not very current but I loved The Dark Knight Rises so I'm not 100% against these films. 

Didn't really do it for me, even though I really wanted it to. Thought its heart was in the right place and preached a good message but some of the action/cgi and lots of the dialogue is so infantile. Martin Freeman just looked lost. Thought they could have made a lot more of the soundtrack too. 5/10. 

3 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I'd say Terninator and T2 were both great, though just about prefer the first one. T3 onwards destroyed the franchise. I like to just pretend that none of the sequels past Terminator 2 exist.

The first one is my favourite movie ever, and is far superior to T2. Which is more of a statement about how good the first one is than what's wrong with T2, which is still a fucking great movie.

On 20/11/2019 at 07:28, Adam101 said:

Le mans 66, Ford Vs Ferrari 8/10

Very interesting film focusing mainly on getting a car fast enough to beat Ferrari and the problems they faced from within Ford. I felt the accents were a bit off especially Shelby's. Some of the filming especially of the driving scenes is sublime.

Was on the phone to a friend in the West Midlands a couple of days before i watched this Bales accent was exactly the same as his It is a strange accent  Thought it was good but nowhere as good as Rush the last motorsport  i watched My head was pounding at the end of it with the noise from the cars A solid 7-10 

Xtro 2

Takes all the good from Alien, combines it with the fun stuff of Shadowzone and then removes them, adds a crappy looking killer alien, some cheap sets, a few actors who appear bored while performing their lines and Paul Koslo (Alexander from Robot Jox) sleazing his way through the scenery while Airwolf mumbles like a drunk.

3/10

Edited by Comrie

All right,I haven't watched it yet, but The Irishman just showed up on Netflix. I am proper excited for this, so shall be waiting until I've got a guarantee three and a half hours(!) free of "dad, where's my work shirt?" and "you'll never guess who I met today?".
Showtime : tomorrow, 9.00am. Can't wait.

Stan & Ollie.

John C Reilly and Steve Coogan do a very capable job of playing Oliver Hardy and Stan Laurel. I hadn't realised the 54 tour of the UK and Ireland was really because they were broke, the film does a good job of balancing the slightly sad element of this with the affection for their farewell.

8/10

Thought it was a engrossing yet gentle film by two actors who don’t generally do subtle.

Perfect for air journeys.

10 hours ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

All right,I haven't watched it yet, but The Irishman just showed up on Netflix. I am proper excited for this, so shall be waiting until I've got a guarantee three and a half hours(!) free of "dad, where's my work shirt?" and "you'll never guess who I met today?".
Showtime : tomorrow, 9.00am. Can't wait.

It's really bloody good. Intended to watch an hour a night but of course I've watched the whole thing and will be knackered tomorrow, now. But f**k it, it's only work. And the film was worth it. A classic. 9/10.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

On 25/11/2019 at 05:52, KnightswoodBear said:

As I'm back on sleepless night duties with a newborn I've been getting a rare opportunity to watch whatever the f**k I like on the TV (..at 3am).

Sat and watch Terminator 2: Special Edition which I hadn't seen before.  The extra and lengthend scenes don't add a huge amount to the film.

I've always liked T2, but think the original is superior.  I realised that what bugs me about T2 is that it's partly responsible for the decline in quality of the film's that follow.  Much of that is trying to capture that lightning in a bottle that T2 was.  We'd never seen anything like it when it was released.  

My main gripe with it I've realised is that making the T800 a "goodie" from this film on has ruined the character.  Arnie was a reliative unknown for the first film, but was well on the road to superstardom by the time T2 came about.  Having him as the baddie again wouldn't play well with audiences.  

Still, T2 is still a great film in its own right, but has destroyed the franchise. 

7.5/10 

IMO T1 was a sci-fi horror movie, T2 and subsequent Terminator movies were action.
Would easily watch either but T2 maybe has the edge for me for the story line and better action.

The subsequent movies are garbage.

7.5/10 

T2 is a classic mate. Harsh to portion any blame on it for the utter dross that followed. At the time it was only a sequel and not so much of a franchise. Unfortunately some donuts decided to try cash in on two classic movies which should’ve been left well alone.