What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

La La Land

6/10

When I saw the trailers for this film I thought it was a wanky load or pretentious bollocks.

I was or course wrong. It was a delight, a warm and genuine film. I adored the two main characters falling in love.

The reason I give it only 6/10 is because I was destroyed by the ending.

La La Land
6/10
When I saw the trailers for this film I thought it was a wanky load or pretentious bollocks.
I was or course wrong. It was a delight, a warm and genuine film. I adored the two main characters falling in love.
I still think it looks like a wanky load of pretentious bollocks, think I'll pass for now..

La La Land
6/10

This entirely sums up my feelings towards the film as well. The ending ruined me.

On ‎20‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 23:40, The Real Saints said:

Joker - One of those very rare experiences where I almost felt inclined to stand up and applaud at the end. The culmination of the film gave me chills. Only ‘Black Swan’ and ‘Filth’ have had a similar cinematic effect on me.

yep totally agree with this...one of those films you are still thinking about days afterwards....only slight downside is I've had The Glitter Band in my head since watching it(great tune though...)

Dont't think its for everyone though...saw my first ever cinema rage.   I live in Leicester, two young lassies came in about 5 minutes into the start of the film and sat in our row.  Sat about 5 seats along from me with no one in between(I hadnt showered). From my side vision about 30 mins in one of them starts looking at her phone..not just a quick check either but full blown scrolling through stuff.   She was too far along for the light to bother me but was thinking how annoying for the folk sat behind her...especially as instead of holding the phone looking down, she was doing that thing that a lot of young folk do where the hold the phone up at eye level and scroll through.  Few minutes later theres a bit of a commotion. One of the lassies turns to the person in the row behind and says "stop hitting my chair", then theres the reply of "well get off your phone then". She then replies "i'll kick your f*cking head in. Dont tell me what to do" .  She goes back on her phone so the person behind must've hit her chair again, so the lassie shouts "do that again and I swear you are f*cking dead" she then does this sucking air through the teeth thing that I hadn't really noticed anyone doing until I watched Top Boy on Netflix...must be some wannabe gangster sh*t? 

It calmed down after that and she put her phone away but I was (sadly) secretly hoping things would kick off....but yeah could tell she wasn't remotely interested in the film!

On 26/10/2019 at 23:15, DA Baracus said:

La La Land

6/10

Wouldn't normally be my thing either but I loved it. Followed on well from Whiplash. If you've not seen that you'll probably appreciate La La Land even more after. J K Simmons' brief role in La La Land will mean much more too. 

The bit that gets me in La La Land is when they spot each other at the pool party and she asks the band to play "I Ran" and her enjoying how much he is hating playing in this band. 

11 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Wouldn't normally be my thing either but I loved it. Followed on well from Whiplash. If you've not seen that you'll probably appreciate La La Land even more after. J K Simmons' brief role in La La Land will mean much more too. 

The bit that gets me in La La Land is when they spot each other at the pool party and she asks the band to play "I Ran" and her enjoying how much he is hating playing in this band. 

Yup have seen Whiplash (great film) and liked the reference. 

Aye that scene is quality. He's fucking beelin' at having to play it!

The Ritual - 6/10
First two thirds were good at building suspense and was pretty scary at times, and the story itself wasn't too bad, the final third was just mental though. 
I remember seeing a trailer for this that portrayed it as a horror-comedy, so I was pretty surprised by how grim it was.

While I agree that it falters in the final third (these films tend to when the mysterious becomes the known), I liked what came before enough to ignore that.

On 20/10/2019 at 11:07, DA Baracus said:

Aye that will be nonsense. Kong is tiny compared to Godzilla. Will Godzilla be shrunk in the wash or something? Will half the movie be an intense Kong training montage where he massively bulks up? Actually I'd love to see a Rocky IV style training montage featuring the two monsters.

The directors apparently come out and said Kong in his film is just a child, and this film will have him fully grown, so he wont be the same size. Not quite clear how much he'll have actually grown though. They'll likely have him swallow something to grow even more or something.

Going to see Dr Sleep this weekend. Really loved the film of The Shining and read Dr Sleep recently. Maybe more of a melancholic supernatural drama than a horror but we shall see. The baddie is one of those baddies you'd happily let eat your brains:

doctor11-640x426.jpg

On 22/10/2019 at 13:56, Lee Van Tee said:

Best Tarantino film for me is Kill Bill. Absolutely magnificently staged martial arts action including Uma Thurman taking on the Crazy 88. Superb.

Saying that there's always something to enjoy in every Tarantino film.

It's ok I suppose, apart from being an hour too long. 

Kill Bill 2 is two hours too long. 

7 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Burlesque.

8/10. Basically a camera following Christina Aguilera around. Minus one mark for the occasional other actor getting in shot and another mark for her not showing it all in the scud.

You're criminally underselling that.

A stone cold so bad it's good classic.

Stalingrad

German film from the early 90s following a unit of doomed soldiers in the titular WW2 battle.

Overall a decent war film, my only complaint is the DVD I picked up has some really dodgy English language dubbing. I much prefer subtitles when watching foreign films. It was like fucking Eurotrash.

8/10

Official Secrets - 8/10

Fantastic film especially if like me you were in primary school in 2001 as it's a story very worth telling, I knew the legal advice around the legality of the war changed but it's quite incredible how it came about. Knightly and Smith are perfect for the lead roles.