What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Any fans of Music Bio's?  I'll pretty much watch and usually enjoy any decent music bio/documentary even if its not my type of music.

I found a film called CBGB on Amazon Prime. Came out in 2013 and not sure how I missed it at the time.  Thought at first it was a documentary but turns out it was an actual Biopic about CBGB's in New York throughout the New York Punk Scene of the 1970s.

A bit cartoonish and had a similar feel of 24 Hour Party People but an outstanding soundtrack as well as all the bands featured you'd expect, Television, Talking Heads, Ramones, Patti Smith, Blondie, Dead Boys etc etc

Its not perfect but if like me you are into music films then its worth a watch.

1 hour ago, fuzzydunlop said:

Any fans of Music Bio's?  I'll pretty much watch and usually enjoy any decent music bio/documentary even if its not my type of music.

I found a film called CBGB on Amazon Prime. Came out in 2013 and not sure how I missed it at the time.  Thought at first it was a documentary but turns out it was an actual Biopic about CBGB's in New York throughout the New York Punk Scene of the 1970s.

A bit cartoonish and had a similar feel of 24 Hour Party People but an outstanding soundtrack as well as all the bands featured you'd expect, Television, Talking Heads, Ramones, Patti Smith, Blondie, Dead Boys etc etc

54 is one of my favourite films. It's total shite, but the soundtrack is brilliant, and the real backstory is brilliant.

2 hours ago, fuzzydunlop said:

There's a Mark Ronson documentary on iplayer just now. Covers such a wide range of genres- there's stuff with Josh from Queens of the Stone Age, Amy Winehouse, Q Tip. The stuff about his young life and his parents' boozing and partying was quite touching in terms of how it shaped him (good and bad). Worth watching just for the recording studio bit with a singer called YEBBA. Ronson and the backing singers all look gobsmacked at this girl's voice.  

Couple of movies.

Stuber

This movie is filled with a whole load of fairly one dimensional characters, and a basic cop thriller style subplot, but since the movie solely relies on the main plot of two people in a taxi together, and their adventures, that stuff doesn't really matter. And this happens to be an absolute delight. Both Bautista and Nanjiani nail their roles. A lot of the big action set pieces have some outstanding sight gags, and every interaction between the two leads is tremendous. I loved this.

8/10

Sliver

A 1993 movie featuring Sharon Stone moving into an ultra creepy and murdery apartment building. This movie is... wow. I can't oversell the creep factor in this movie. Even our heroine gets involved with gusto. The point is rammed home big time by the makers of this, basically screaming "LOOK HOW WEIRD ALL OF THESE PEOPLE ARE!!!" every second of the movie. They actually ramp up the weird all the way through.

I mean... this is such a shite movie, but couldn't take my eyes off it for a second, and certainly was fascinated by it, so it's going to get a positive score. Entertainment is all I'm looking for.

7/10

On 15/10/2019 at 11:24, fuzzydunlop said:

I love stuff like that so I'll seek that out.

I've a couple of recommendations.

DOA is a documentary about The Sex Pistols ill-fated tour of the USA in 1978. There's plenty of good concert footage along with interviews with various suburban American kids trying waaay too hard to be punk.

I'd also recommend B-Movie: Lust and Sound in West Berlin 79-89. It's a documentary about a bloke from Manchester who moved to Berlin in the late 70s and got involved in the alternative music scene there. Well worth watching if you're into scenes and subcultures.

Edited by tongue_tied_danny

The Raid - redemption (2011)

Im not typically into action films. I'm not typically into foreign language films.
Stumbled across this film and I am so glad I did. Such fast paced, authentic action.
Simple story, swat team goes into high rise tenemant to take out a kingpin and has to fight their way out against thugs. Similar premises to Judge Dredd, same idea as Die Hard, stuck in a single building and trying to survive.

The action seemed so real, fast paced. Reading on Imdb, all the cast went through Indonesian navy special ops training before the film which may explain it.

Defo worth a watch if you like action films, and even if you hate subtitles, the story is simple and watching martial arts doesn't require much understanding.

9/10

The Joker (2019)

I love Joaquin Pheonix and think his personality is made for such a role. Anyone who has watched his mockumentary 'I'm still here' will know how much of a strange individual he appears to be so this is perfect for him.

I thought the final was a haunting but brilliant prequel and back story to one of films most iconic villains. Almost felt sorry and an understanding for his behaviour.

Often these films are so hyped that when I watch them they fail to impress but I have to say The Joker did not disappoint and I thought the film, and Joaquin Pheonix's performances were excellent.

9/10

20 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

I love stuff like that so I'll seek that out.

I've a couple of recommendations.

DOA is a documentary about The Sex Pistols ill-fated tour of the USA in 1978. There's plenty of good concert footage along with interviews with various suburban American kids trying waaay too hard to be punk.

I'd also recommend B-Movie: Lust and Sound in West Berlin 79-89. It's a documentary about a bloke from Manchester who moved to Berlin in the late 70s and got involved in the alternative music scene there. Well worth watching if you're into scenes and subcultures.

will check those out, cheers

On 15/10/2019 at 11:24, fuzzydunlop said:

A documentary on Scottish punk and post punk music with some pop like Altered Images thrown in. Wish Scottish music today was half as innovative.

1 minute ago, Lee Van Tee said:

A documentary on Scottish punk and post punk music with some pop like Altered Images thrown in. Wish Scottish music today was half as innovative.

yeah thats ace.

Theres a music doc about the music of Laurel Canyon out...anyone seen it? Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Byrds etc?   

Saw Joker last night.  It's an absolutely mesmerising performance from Phoenix.

The night was slightly marred by the sound being fucked up for the first half an hour and them having to stop the film to restart the sound system. 

Saw it 2 days ago, storms were forecast here so we went to cinema instead of the beach. The movie was disrupted by a half time smoke break, mid scene too. The film just stopped and everyone got up and left for the bog or a fag, my daughter and I just sat there, unsure wtf was going on. Great movie though.

Just now, Drew Brees said:

Saw it 2 days ago, storms were forecast here so we went to cinema instead of the beach. The movie was slightly disturbed by a half time smoke break, mid scene too. The film just stopped and everyone got up and left for the bog or a fag, my daughter and I just sat there, unsure wtf was going on. Great movie though.

Where did you go to see it?  The 70's?

D2 the mighty ducks

One of my all time favourite films from my childhood.

10/10

Can someone please tell me what the manager of the Trinidad and Tobago coach says when they score?

I say 'what a goal man, what a goal'
My son says ' way to go man way to go '

I’d say ‘way to go’. Hard to tell though