What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

It is funny how the reviews seem to swing wildly for Joker.  Verdict seems to be 5*s across the board before it came out, punters giving it 5*s...then try-hards like the BBC and The Guardian avoiding a 5* review for click-bait? The Guardian gave it two...yes TWO stars!

Every single second of that movie had edge and purpose.  There were points almost nothing was happening but the suspense behind that nothingness had me right on the edge of my seat.  A fantastic character wonderfully acted. 

Edited by AberdeenHibee

It is funny how the reviews seem to swing wildly for Joker.  Verdict seems to be 5*s across the board before it came out, punters giving it 5*s...then try-hards like the BBC and The Guardian avoiding a 5* review for click-bait? The Guardian gave it two...yes TWO stars!
Every single second of that movie had edge and purpose.  There were points almost nothing was happening but the suspense behind that nothingness had me right on the edge of my seat.  A fantastic character wonderfully acted. 
I usually watch and read movie reviews of films I've just been to see but had to stop with joker reviews as some of them are unbearable. I've never been so sure about my thoughts on a movie in my life so I don't feel I need to hear differing opinions on it.

Aye, Joker's a good film. Not sure quite what the point was from DC's point of view, however, as it's obviously not an origin story to a Joker we've ever seen before, or one we'll ever see again, unless they fancy a future film with geriatric Joaquin being pummelled by a 1%-defending Batman.

As KB mentioned enjoying Batman v Superman, I saw that again recently and it seemed pretty decent for the first two thirds. Really surprised, as I remember thinking it was a massive turd in the cinema, so I can only assume the extended version was a big improvement. Lex Luthor is still absolutely appalling, however.

1 minute ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Aye, Joker's a good film. Not sure quite what the point was from DC's point of view, however, as it's obviously not an origin story to a Joker we've ever seen before, or one we'll ever see again, unless they fancy a future film with geriatric Joaquin being pummelled by a 1%-defending Batman.

It's a standalone movie so not connected to the DC universe. 

Just now, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I know, which is why I don't understand the point for DC.

I'm not 100% sure how much say DC had in this. Warner Bros own the movie rights and unless DC would be willing to actively stop the movie getting made, which would be really stupid, WB can do what they want.

2 hours ago, AberdeenHibee said:

There are three separate reviews of Joker on the Guardian website by different writers. One gave it five, one four and the other gave it two stars.

I'm not usually someone who bothers going to see any films based on comic book characters but was encouraged to go along to see Joker by my son, who said I couldn't help but be impressed by it and the fact that Joaquin Phoenix was starring - he might just be the best actor in the world right now.

He puts in a stellar performance here and it was good to see Robert De Niro not embarrassing himself - something that's become far too common in the his career in the last couple of decades.

Quite a long film but I remained pretty much gripped throughout.  No need to to resort to the usual CGI bollocks either.

I'm surprised I enjoyed it so much and anybody giving it only two stars really must have an agenda. Recommended.

Just watched this as well. The central performances are excellent John C Reilly edges it though.

Absolutely loved it, gentle, humorous, with excellent performances from the two main actors. I’m a L&H fan anyway but this pleased me no end.

Two recently.

The Green Book. 10/10 loved it, great performances and I love an Italian American story from the middle 20th century.

He's Just Not Into You 10/10. Scarlett Johansson in incredible red longerie at one point and Jennifer Connolly looking amazing. Nearly didn't watch it as I thought "shitty chick flick" but glad I did.

Hustlers was ok. about an 80% female cast, but stood up very well. It could've been a lot worse 7/10 I think is fair.

I have a Cineworld card (£18.-- or so a month) so I probably wouldn't have went if it was full price.

Spiderman far from home was ok, lots of purple and orange explosions, if that's your thing 7/10

The best i've  seen has to be Rocket Man, the Elton John bio. Was hoping it would include a scene where he is reported to have talked Billy Connolly out of suicide in his bog at a party. Great movie overall, 9/10.

Would love to see a Billy Connolly bio, would show a profit for showing in Scotland by itself. Who would play the young Billy? Could be hilarious,with cut scenes to his actual stage shows.

I can imagine James McAvoy in a long curly wig and moustache.

Can't believe I missed Rambo last blood, must see the Joker tonight.

On 16/09/2019 at 11:20, JamesConnelly said:

American Poltergeist 2 (Netflix)

Absolute garbage. Looked like it was filmed on a smart phone and the sound was terrible. Gives a whole new meaning to the term “low budget”.

Used to have Netflix. Moved to amazon prime( for the next day deliveries) ,you get a lot of that kind of stuff there as well, poor quality documentaries labelled as "films" is typical.

You might get one good film a month. Green Book is in it, will have to watch it soon.

The vast majority of films I stop watching after half an hour.

On 06/10/2019 at 23:51, Lee Van Tee said:

I'm not usually someone who bothers going to see any films based on comic book characters but was encouraged to go along to see Joker by my son, who said I couldn't help but be impressed by it and the fact that Joaquin Phoenix was starring - he might just be the best actor in the world right now.

He puts in a stellar performance here and it was good to see Robert De Niro not embarrassing himself - something that's become far too common in the his career in the last couple of decades.

Quite a long film but I remained pretty much gripped throughout.  No need to to resort to the usual CGI bollocks either.

I'm surprised I enjoyed it so much and anybody giving it only two stars really must have an agenda. Recommended.

Most films over 90min stretch my patience a little. This film held my attention to the end. Brilliant film. 

First time I've seen a film in IMAX. Never actually knew what IMAX was till the film started. Bit overwhelming to start with, like watching a film being projected on to the side of a tenement. 

Joaquin Phoenix is, as usual, excellent.

El Camino - A whole lot of nothing. I enjoyed Breaking Bad, not to the extent of some people but I was still fairly happy to hear they were making a spin-off film. After finishing it last night, I can't help but feel it was all a bit pointless. 5/10

The Foreigner - Enjoyed this. Jackie Chan out for revenge after his daughter (Cho Chang from Harry Potter) got blown up by the RA. Piers Brosnan stars as a Former IRA Member now working for the UK Government. A good night's entertainment. 8/10

No Escape - Owen Wilson and Lake Bell* move their family to Asia and end up on the run from a large number of bandana-clad lunatics that want to kill them and every other foreigner in the country. Pretty shite summary from myself, but definitely worth a watch. 7/10

Spoiler

*wid

Edited by AyrTroopMajor