What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Good Boys

Very funny. A lot of the gags are predictable but they're delivered excellently, thanks to solid performances from the young leads. Kids swearing is always funny and some of the things they come out with are brilliant - Lucas in particular had me in stitches more than once. Ended up having quite a sweet ending as well. Solid comedy and glad Rogen didn't make a cameo (Merchant's was enough, although it worked very well)

A Simple Favour

(Netflix)

Anna Kendrick and Blake Lively in sort of playful, tongue in cheek version of Gone Girl. Kendrick is the sensible full time mum, Lively is the high flying, alluring hard drinking working mum. Their lives begin to mingle, "death", intrigue and double-crossing ensues. Decent knockabout fun and the two leading ladies get to ham it up. 7/10

Summer of 92, netflix subtitled.

7 out of 10

The story of Denmark winning the euros. It's entertaining enough and it shows up the Danish FA as being in the same league as their useless counterparts  in scotland, the media out to get the team, an unpopular coach and a team of prima Donna's namely the Laudrupp brothers Brian being a good guy and Michael being a w**k.

Star Trek Nemesis

With the arrival of the new Picard series soon, I thought I should get back to grips with the latest point of time in the Star Trek universe, which is this. And this is a steaming wreck of shite from start to finish.

Tom Hardy plays a clone of Picard who has taken over the Romulan Empire, and needs Picard's blood to live. So to lure Picard he "found" a prototype version of Data and scattered it's parts round a random planet. Some stuff happened in the middle (I think Hardy is trying to invade the Federation, too) but to be honest my attention always wanders in this movie. In the end there is a Picard v clone fight. Data comes along and saves Picard, sacrificing himself. 

So we are left with no Data. There is a prototype B-4 who has his memories (is it Data or B-4 we saw in the Picard trailer? That is the question). 

For a decade this movie sat happily at rock bottom of my list of Star Trek Movies, even below The Motion Picture. It is now in a scrap with into Darkness and Beyond for the title of word Star Trek Movie. 

2/10. 

Blade Runner 2049

Visually beautiful but felt to me like they had enough footage for a mini series and cut it down to the long movie. As a result I sometimes felt like the plot lurched without enough exposition.

Fan bloody tastic sound and music. Homage to Vangelis.

8/10

Saw this at the iMax. It was my first trip there. Blew my mind, the sound was incredible. Great film.

Street Fighter

Positives:

- Coked out Jean Claude

- Raul Julia just absolutely going for it

Negatives

- Fat Ken is seriously unconvincing

Also the painting of Bison on a horse is the pinnacle of human achievement, we should just stop trying.

perfect 5/7

Edited by Comrie

On 05/09/2019 at 10:54, scottsdad said:

Star Trek Nemesis

With the arrival of the new Picard series soon, I thought I should get back to grips with the latest point of time in the Star Trek universe, which is this. And this is a steaming wreck of shite from start to finish.

Tom Hardy plays a clone of Picard who has taken over the Romulan Empire, and needs Picard's blood to live. So to lure Picard he "found" a prototype version of Data and scattered it's parts round a random planet. Some stuff happened in the middle (I think Hardy is trying to invade the Federation, too) but to be honest my attention always wanders in this movie. In the end there is a Picard v clone fight. Data comes along and saves Picard, sacrificing himself. 

So we are left with no Data. There is a prototype B-4 who has his memories (is it Data or B-4 we saw in the Picard trailer? That is the question). 

For a decade this movie sat happily at rock bottom of my list of Star Trek Movies, even below The Motion Picture. It is now in a scrap with into Darkness and Beyond for the title of word Star Trek Movie. 

2/10. 

Despite some awful plotting choices, I quite like Darkness.  I think Beyond is a lot of fun.

As for the worst ST film.  V, shirley??

17 hours ago, GrahamJags said:

It: Chapter Two - 6.5/10

Far, far too long. The ending in particular is drawn out to f**k, but still pretty enjoyable.

Saw it tonight and was begging it to end for about the last half hour. The section where they all went off to get their tokens went on forever as well, so I feel like I was quite bored throughout most of it. Felt really imbalanced to me between comedy and horror. Wasn’t scary just like the first part and kinda missed the coming of age stuff. 5/10 for me. 

The Midnight Meat Train

Why Mahogany is one of the better silent antagonists of horror in recent times and visually this is pretty damn nice it falls apart when the movie starts dealing with the twist. Characters seem to compete with each other to make the stupidest decisions possible to the point where you cannot take them seriously. I guess Bradley Cooper read the first half of the script and committed only to find out the last half an hour was dumb as hell?

6/10

Hadn't watched it in a few years but noticed it was on Film 4 the other night so recorded The Crying Game and watched it again last night. 

Fantastic plot, script and performances in one of the finest British films of all time in my opinion, wont give away the big twist about two thirds of the way through the film for anyone who hasn't seen it but, the first time I saw it I was totally gobsmacked and hadn't seen it coming, ironically it is kind of obvious when you watch it back 😂

I particularly love the scenes in the Metro bar with Jim Broadbent playing Coll the barman, the Agony Uncle and relationship counselor for Fergus and Dil, very poignantly scripted and acted out. The early scenes when Fergus bonds with the soldier hostage Jody are very brilliantly done and the basis of the films eventual theme, the guilt, redemption and eventually loyalty shown by Fergus. Miranda Richardson is quite foxy in it as well and a cold, calculated cameo by Adrian Dunbar, aka Ted Hastings from Line of Duty. 

Just a truly brilliant film, thoroughly recommended to anyone who hasn't seen it.

This was initially supposed to only be a couple of new things but it just kept on stacking up - so apologies. There aren't actually any spoilers for anything but I didn't want to clog up the page. All 2019 releases:

Only You

Spoiler

Weird one. I was pretty bored throughout and the runtime felt much longer than two hours, but come the end, I did feel like I'd accompanied them on their entire relationship. Of course, that meant it felt long, but it also meant the film was incredibly real and observant. I wasn't particularly engaged and the central conflict has been done loooooooaaaaaaaads, however there was enough in there to make me look back on it pretty fondly. 

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Spoiler

A 2hr 45m film with no real plot can go v awry if your characters aren't engaging enough or just plain boring (hi Boyhood), but Cliff and Rick are great fun to spend time with. I thought it was an absolute breeze, which is a compliment and a slight negative: it flew by but never cut as deep as it could have, which is a shame as there's a lot you can do with the pretty interesting themes present. Due to these themes and the setting, it kind of felt like if No Country for Old Men took place in the world of Hail Caesar. Rick Dalton even reminded me of an older Hobie Doyle. 

It's definitely different to a lot of Tarantino's other films: slower, more melancholic, very few set pieces. Shockingly, there was also a degree of self-control present. While you can clearly see Tarantino loves himself, whenever I thought it was getting too much, he reined it in and ultimately served a purpose (e.g. the scene where they showed an extended section from Lancer which gives LDC's outburst more impact). 

It seemed like Sharon Tate existed in this in order to make others more interesting* and Tarantino could've fleshed her out more.

*Not in a 'she's so boring she makes others look interesting' kind of way, more that the character provides a nice balance to Rick and the ending wouldn't have made sense without her. 

Blue My Mind

Spoiler

Raw meets Eighth Grade.

It's had a fairly average reception, but I really liked it. The two leads put in terrific, v visual performances and give depth to a film that is minimal on explanations. While the metaphor may seem overt (girl's body changes while going through other biological changes), I felt that there was more to it than simply portraying a girl going through puberty; it's more about beauty and secrets. 

Pain and Glory

Spoiler

I've seen this a couple of times and I'm not quite sure what to make of it. It's clearly good, but I don't necessarily know why it's good, probably because it's simple in its emotion. The film looks fucking amazing with some beautifully colourful sets, Banderas's performance is great, and it really explores Salvador while remaining low-key and ignoring 40/50 years of his life. I'm not old, but like everyone (I assume), I do have regrets and I do have cherished memories, and P+G does a good job of portraying how these things help shape us into the people we are. 

I'd happily go back and watch it another couple of times to dig deeper as there's clearly a lot more there than I picked up on. 

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark

Spoiler

I'll be honest, I have no idea why I went to see this: I hadn't seen any trailers, I didn't have a clue what it was about, and I listened to a review as background noise. Purely due to the title, I assumed it would be an anthology horror, but while it isn't really, it did make me think about how a lot of conventional horrors - especially slashers - could be perceived as anthological (is that a word?), going from one set-piece/death to another. This kind of plays with that and blurs the lines between anthology and continuous storytelling, so I admire it for that. 

The problem is that it's simply quite shoddy. Things just happen for the sake of the story and it's often really difficult to make out what's going on due to inappropriate uses of closeups and sometimes just being too damn dark. There also seemed to be a real reluctance to let things linger, be that imagery or scenes. It's a shame as some of the imagery and monster designs are terrific, however the film doesn't spend enough time on them to make them as effective as they should be. 

It Chapter Two

Spoiler

Oh dear. 

I watched it on a dodgy stream, so a) the poor quality, ads, c***s talking and walking in front of the screen did disrupt my immersion, and b) I think a couple of things may have been missing from the first 30 mins or so. That said, I still felt that the whole thing was really poor. 

Given that the film was a collection of scenes with nothing really connecting them, here are a collection of points with nothing really connecting them:

My biggest complaint is that there is an entire chunk where NOTHING FUCKING HAPPENS. It meanders from one set piece to the next with nothing to invest in: they're so formulaic, there's no jeopardy, and any scares to be had were undercut by LOUD NOISES. The story pretty much just stops for what must have been around an hour. 

LOOK OUT, it's Henry Bowers for a couple of scenes. 

Were they so devoid of spoooooky ideas for the present that they needed to constantly flash back to when they were kids? I get that the kids were the best thing about the first one, but so much of the horror seemed like outtakes from Chapter One, rendering it essentially pointless. 

At first, I was unsure whether the first film had been hacked to bits and the flashbacks were remnants of that, however the rapid ageing of children, especially Ben and Eddie, cleared this up due to looking and sounding slightly different to how they did a couple of years ago. Now, that's just part and parcel f using child actors, but the bigger issue was that they tried to get them to riff off each other two years after filming Ch. 1, so they were a bit older and a bit out of practice. It also felt like the writer (who helped write the first) thought to himself "what made the first one good?" and just tried to emulate that. These all resulted in these scenes feeling unnatural to me. 

LOOK OUT, it's LOUD NOISES. 

I've not seen the latest Jumanji movie, but I have seen the trailer(s) and older Eddie and Richie gave off vibes from that. Much of their performances were imitations of the kids which is pretty weird when it's 40-year-olds doing it. 

Like its predecessor, a couple of characters could've easily been removed. Based on what came before, Ben should've taken Mike's role, Eddie could've taken Stanley's role and Billy's story was wrapped up nicely. This is Richie's film but there's too much shit going on elsewhere to really dig into him, which is a shame as the two moments I was drawn in emotionally both came from him, although the subtlety of the arcade moment was undone by a clumsy revelation. 

The pacing was AOTS too - not great for a near 3hr film. 

LOOK OUT, it's Stephen King. 

With IT, I agree that Eddie was too close to his kid counterpart, but I could easily buy into Richie in that role. That said, I still enjoyed Eddie and James Ransone played it brilliantly.

Also, they couldn't simply just switch the roles. Unfortunately they stuck a lot to the book. Almost too closely at times which ended up being what turned the whole thing to shit. The book turns into a total nonsense at the climax and the movie goes the same way. It's the only thing that I felt the movie really needed to change, but it's such a major thing, and goes on for ages, that it just ruined the entire thing.

I've not read the book, but I heard elsewhere that Ben took Mike's role as the researcher in the first one, so I thought it would've made sense to have Ben continue that as opposed to sticking with the book while going against the predecessor. There is probably enough of a time jump to justify it, but a change would've just helped shave it down and make things a bit smoother.