What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Night Monkey: The European Spider-Man Rip-off

Thought this started slowly, and I had difficulty getting into it at the beginning as I tried to work out wtf was going on with Mysterio. Once Edith changed hands, it just took off though.

The sequence with Mysterio attacking Peter was absolutely brilliant, and I really enjoyed Gyllenhaal's take on Mysterio. Tom Holland is absolutely brilliant as Spidey, and Zendaya does the aloof version of MJ really well. Also delighted to see the return of Maria Hill and JJJ. The use of Back in Black was a nice touch as well, especially given it's previous appearance in the series.

Finally, Cobie Smulders :wub: and Marissa Tomei :wub:. Am I right in thinking there was an overly long lingering shot on Aunt May's arse at one point?

On 09/07/2019 at 15:53, Mark Connolly said:

Night Monkey: The European Spider-Man Rip-off

Saw this today, though not having seen the last Avengers film I was quite lost at the start. Once I'd caught up with the background though I did enjoy it. 

Except for Aunt May - Marissa Tomei is a definite wid but Aunt May is supposed to be an old lady!

If you've yet to see it, make sure you stay right to the end of the credits. They go on for ages but the final scene is quite important.

Yesterday

Great premise, great soundtrack, but just left me a bit underwhelmed, and felt like it had missed chunks out, eg the backstory of Sarah Lancashire and the Russian.

It's definitely a decent film, and I'll no doubt be happy to watch it again, but I feel it could have been more.

Also

Why did they only hunt down John? Was he the only one that was still alive? Given Jack's obvious love for Let it Be and Yesterday, wouldn't he want to meet Paul as well/instead?

On 08/07/2019 at 02:44, Warren Mears said:

Rewatch of Midsommar today. 10/10. That final shot btw. I don't think that will ever not shoot my nerves to bits. 

Superb movie and aye final shot. Nailed both the unsettling atmosphere and the comedy in spades. Possibly the most demented sex scene I've ever seen in a film.

I saw a few new things recently:

In Fabric

The first time I watched this, I had no idea what was happening literally or metaphorically, but the weird nature of it appealed to me and I wanted to watch it again. I'm glad I did as everything seemed to click the second time around. It's all very surreal due to the often hypnotic score, oddly colourful sets and costumes, and intentionally overplayed or underplayed performances. Massive credit to the direction and actors as they do a great job of maintaining the tone. 

The horror elements mostly come from a group of creepy witches/vampires/something who are ripped straight from Suspiria (1977 or 2016 version) and all the stuff with the dress is a parody of the ridiculous premises found in the genre. It's never scary, but it certainly portrays loads of weird images. 

There are a lot of thematic threads to tie together but they all lead to the one place, and it's all handled very well IMO. 

Spider-Man: Far From Home

I thought this was pretty shite for the most part. My least favourite part of Homecoming was Michelle/MJ's random interjections, so having her as a main character was annoying, especially given she's at the centre of a hopelessly underwritten romance. They did dial down on her quips, but replaced them with... nothing. In fact. a lot of the writing seemed quite shoddy. Mysterio's motivation was a by-the-numbers 'Tony Stark was bad to me' narrative mixed with Syndrome from The Incredibles; the story felt very disjointed to me; and I never felt that it was as funny as Homecoming. 

The small-time nature of the first one was great, and I thought the action scenes all had meaning to them, but in FFH Peter was either taking on faceless things or drones and the stakes were never as high as Homecoming, despite this being bigger and louder. 

I did like the juxtaposition between Peter's mentality in the first and second one, going from being desperate to be an Avenger to the insecurity in his abilities. It was a natural progression that made sense after everything he's been through. 

Midsommar

Another one that I had to watch a second time but that was more to do with the audience. The first time was a packed screening with chatter, loud snacks and laughter at anything remotely weird, whereas the second time had a handful of people there.

It's clearly well made and create#s an eeriness and sense of dread - I didn't have a clue what was going to happen. Some of its images are pretty horrible, Florence Pugh's performance is terrific, I'm still thinking about what some it meant, and my first thought after seeing it a second time was that I wanted to watch again as it's full of weird foreshadowing. 

There was just something missing that I can't put my finger on. While I thought a lot of it was executed well, I was very rarely emotionally invested. 

Stuber - Odd couple buddy comedy/action cop movie. I thought this was actually pretty funny I went in without any expectations just going for something to do and actually got a fair few laughs out of it. Big Dave and the other guy worked well together and a simple plot let you enjoy it without having to immerse yourself in it. One downside was during the ‘action scenes’ the camera work was annoyingly shaky if that’s what they meant to do it didn’t work well at all. I wouldn’t rush out to go see it, but I would recommend it as a watch if you’ve seen the current big hitters on at the movies. 6/10

I could be the last person on the planet to have seen this but I've just watched The Shining. I'm sure it was great at the time but it hasn't aged well. It was as scary as riding a ghost train. And a shite one at that. 

12 hours ago, Dee Man said:

I could be the last person on the planet to have seen this but I've just watched The Shining. I'm sure it was great at the time but it hasn't aged well. It was as scary as riding a ghost train. And a shite one at that. 

No, it was always like that.

Red Sparrow - Absolutely shite. First half dragged on building a story, which would be acceptable if the second half was entertaining, but it just turned into mindless nonsense that followed every single "spy" trope going, including the unbelievably predictable ending.

Just awful.

The Matrix (20th anniversary in 4k)

Never got to see this film at the cinema  at the time of release and great to see it on the big screen and one to see in 4k for sure. Stands up nicely over the test of time. The sequels more the 2nd were decent but the original is cracking film in its own right and bits of CGI back then actually blend in better than many modern day films. Not sure what it would have been like if Will Smith took the role. 

Midsommar

I really loved Hereditary but can understand the criticism of it. So much of the setups were so subtle or fleeting that it would be easy to think a load of random stuff was suddenly being thrown together as the film went on.

Here the setups are more glaringly signposted and the humour is more obvious. Look at the books lying about, look at the wallpaper, look at what all the campsite members look like and look at what the “workers” look like.

It’s like an ode to The Wicker Man, with a big dose of teen slasher flick and in the end it’s almost a feel-good movie (with a load of Nazi death cult folk music enthusiasts thrown in).

Can’t wait to see what he makes next.

19 hours ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

Mission impossible fallout - nice easy don't need to think about Saturday night family movie.

It loses a point for not having Rebecca Ferguson in a bikini*(1) like Rogue Nation, but regains it for having her in ridiculously tight motorbike gear*(2).

*(1)

32744-1532336922.jpg

*(2)

41F7IS0VtjL._SX385_.jpg

On ‎11‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 17:04, Mark Connolly said:

Yesterday

Great premise, great soundtrack, but just left me a bit underwhelmed, and felt like it had missed chunks out, eg the backstory of Sarah Lancashire and the Russian.

It's definitely a decent film, and I'll no doubt be happy to watch it again, but I feel it could have been more.

Also

Reveal hidden contents

Why did they only hunt down John? Was he the only one that was still alive? Given Jack's obvious love for Let it Be and Yesterday, wouldn't he want to meet Paul as well/instead?

I went last Friday and felt exactly the same.  Great idea and always good hearing Dem Beatles loud!  I also liked the fact that it tackled the fact that with the way music moves so fast these days, the 'meh' reaction he got from some people.  Especially the scene with his parents/neighbour -that was pretty spot on.  If someone did write something as good today would anyone realsie it or would we all be too quick to criticise/ignore?

But I did feel there could have been more. My wife thinks its because i'm such a  big Beatles fan I was probably looking for more than most.  Wasn't keen on Sheeran getting involved at every opportunity but I guess it wouldn't have worked if he wasn't. Just uneasy he got so many of his songs in there too.