What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

On 01/07/2019 at 12:55, accies1874 said:

So with the first half of the year done, what's everyone's favourites so far? Burning, Eighth Grade and Foxtrot for me.

Eighth Grade is one of my favourite films of the decade, never mind of 2019. 

I went to see Birds Of Passage last week. The directors were never going to hit the heights of Embrace Of The Serpent but it's still a very good film - albeit, perhaps there is a bit too much going on - and well worth a watch. 

The Equalizer 2.
Denzel simmers with revengfulness for two hours. No bad. Took a while to reach boiling point. Ok way to pass the evening.
6/10

I hope he killed the fucker who puts dog shit in black plastic bags then ties it to trees. That c**t deserves to die at the hands of an angry vigilante.

On 27/06/2019 at 20:44, Patrick Bateman said:

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

A stone cold classic. The fact that this was made in 1968 still blows my tiny little mind (the 'moon landing' still hadn't happened yet). Look for the appearance of iPads, Skype/FaceTime, microwave meals and of course, Artificial Intelligence.  Way ahead of its time and a visual masterpiece in terms of both effects and cinematography. I could watch those shots inside the Discovery spacecraft on loop for the rest of my life.

5/5

A classic film. Anything with Leonard Rossitter is fine by me.

Eighth Grade is one of my favourite films of the decade, never mind of 2019. 
I went to see Birds Of Passage last week. The directors were never going to hit the heights of Embrace Of The Serpent but it's still a very good film - albeit, perhaps there is a bit too much going on - and well worth a watch. 
Not sure what my problem was with BoP, but it just didn't click for me. It was clearly good and I love films that transport you into a place or, in this case, culture, however I could never really get into it, despite having two viewings.

Prophecy. Film about weegie artist Peter Howson painting a picture. Decent but probably a bit more rewarding for a fellow painter with the repetitive detail of his laborious technique. Fell asleep before the final reveal of the finished work, woke up to be told it was sold into private hands and would never be seen again in public. Bummer. 6/10. Cinema but BBC were in the credits so could be on iplayer or on the telly soon.

Edited by welshbairn

Recently on TV from the guys here who just can’t bear not having something on TV...

Equalizer 2: 7/10
Not seen #1, but I remember the show with Edward Woodward. For a ‘murcan action movie it was quite restrained although the final shootout was contrived pish.

Devil’s Rejects. 0/100000000

Utter shite

14 hours ago, Raidernation said:

Recently on TV from the guys here who just can’t bear not having something on TV...

Not seen #1, but I remember the show with Edward Woodward. For a ‘murcan action movie it was quite restrained although the final shootout was contrived pish.

Utter shite

Currently being shown daily on Forces TV. Mindless drivel but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

On 03/07/2019 at 15:23, GordonD said:

Just been to see Yesterday - really enjoyed it. Bad news - James Corden is in it, briefly, playing himself. Good news - so is Robert Carlyle in an uncredited role near the end.

Well stone me. Just clicked who he was playing now that I've read your post - didn't click at all at the time.

I watched Spiderman Far From Home. I liked it. The movie definitely benefits from a more substantial turn from Zendaya. I had a slight issue with the writing as I felt two characters had substantially changed from previous, but that was tied up nicely by the time I'd left the screening. Tom Holland is a great Spiderman. He's got real screen presence and has the right energy for the role, something that Andrew Garfield was missing.

8/10 - bit of a graveyard slot having to follow up endgame but it did well for the most part.

Utter shite
Devil's Rejects is bloody outstanding. Never going to trouble the Academy, but superbly OTT. The first film Zombie made with these characters, House of 1000 corpses, not so much.

1 hour ago, Kyle said:

Well stone me. Just clicked who he was playing now that I've read your post - didn't click at all at the time.

He's not credited on screen. I looked it up on IMDB afterwards to see who it was. Didn't recognise him at the time either.

Thought Hereditary was poor, but this is something of a delight. Bigger sense of fun, and what feels like a much more natural relationship between the main characters helped things. And the horror is much more effective because it flows brilliantly. Instead of it feeling like good scenes are just kinda getting thrown together with no regard for character continuity, this just breezes by, thus when it gets PROPER bonkers, it's truly horrific. 

Some belting humour through it as well and some tremendous touches probably mean a rewatch is essential. I'll probably do a score later after said rewatch, but I'll go with an early 9/10 on the high end of that score.

Diego Maradona

Enjoyable documentary than focuses on his time at Napoli. No narration and lots of subtitles (hardly unsurprising, I know) but I was looking up and down the whole time. The guy looked apprehensive quite often when out in public with the Neapolitans desperate to get close to him.

I ended up feeling quite sorry for the guy as life in Naples was ridiculously oppressive.

He scored a couple of decent goals against England once.

7/10

On 03/07/2019 at 20:00, jimmy boo said:

Apollo 11

No need for an explanation of this Nasa documentary..........8/10.

Watched it at an Imax. I know the mission history back to front but was still on the edge of my seat.  The unseen 70mm footage is incredible, gimme more!

Creed 2 :

Seems a good way to put the whole story to bed. A decent watch and I felt myself much more involved in the characters than any of the other films. 

6/10.

All things to all men. 

Absolute shit brit cop film. Watched right to the end just to see how it finishes and it doesn't, really. 

An hour and a half of my life wasted. 

2/10

27 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

Watched it at an Imax. I know the mission history back to front but was still on the edge of my seat.  The unseen 70mm footage is incredible, gimme more!

That sounds awesome. I just watched on one of my Firestick apps...........because I could.