What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Guardians of the Galaxy 85%

Finally watched this last night and really enjoyed it. Not a fan of the Marvel/DC cash cow but appreciated this for its standalone-ness.

Will watch the sequel

Mission Impossible- Fallout

Runs a bit too long at times and isn't my favourite of the series, but it's a good effort with some excellent set pieces. 

8/10

I haven't watched it yet but I'm skeptical it'll be as bad as 3/10. I don't think any Pixar film would receive such a rating. Usually very good films.

The man watches Dunfermline for entertainment, his opinion is not to be taken seriously.

Toy Story 4 is an easy 9 for me. Feels totally different to the other movies though. I was kinda thrown by the entire feel of the movie in the first 10 minutes, but wound up just appreciating it for what it was. By the end, I was completely wrapped up in it.

Toy Story 4 is an easy 9 for me. Feels totally different to the other movies though. I was kinda thrown by the entire feel of the movie in the first 10 minutes, but wound up just appreciating it for what it was. By the end, I was completely wrapped up in it.
I enjoyed it. Seemed a lot narrower in scope with a very Woody-centric story. Not necessarily a bad thing but think we could have done with more screen time for the old side characters. Jessie for example, barely said two words.

Overall though, it's still pixar so obviously it's excellent and the stuff in the RV was fun.

The Mule

Good film but anti climatic. Needed a bloodbath/ shootout to finish it with Eastwood massacring the drug cartel with his Magnum. 

6/10. 

Under the silver lake

LA hipster movie -Weird for the sake of being weird. Quite boring and I fell asleep in the middle. Good soundtrack. 

4/10. 

Toy story 4 

Average compared to the other toy story movies. Toy story 3 is a great film and this one  didn't need to be made.  Characters seemed quite one dimensional compared to the other films and the story line was wafer thin. The first thirty minutes was dreadful while the storyline was shoehorned in. Forky also quickly forgotten about was his purpose of setting up the story was fulfilled. This film felt like a bit of a mess compared to the others . Quite disappointed with it but the kids liked it which is the main thing. 

3/10. 

Watched a couple of movies on a plane:

Vice: Surprisingly funny & watchable take on Dick Cheney, with an enjoyable performance from Steve Carell as Donald Rumsfeld. 6/10

Free Solo: Rock climbing documentary featuring a mentalist climbing El Capitan without ropes. I didn't know the story, so not knowing how it ended meant sweaty palms throughout. Fascinating and, dare I say, gripping (sorry), although the guy comes across as a bit of a dick. 7/10

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
A stone cold classic. The fact that this was made in 1968 still blows my tiny little mind (the 'moon landing' still hadn't happened yet). Look for the appearance of iPads, Skype/FaceTime, microwave meals and of course, Artificial Intelligence.  Way ahead of its time and a visual masterpiece in terms of both effects and cinematography. I could watch those shots inside the Discovery spacecraft on loop for the rest of my life.
5/5
Watched it yesterday. Still the GOAT imo.

When you realise what Kubrick wanted you to see, it's fucking amazing.

Once Upon A Time In The Midlands

Probably the weakest Shane Meadows film I've seen, but it's still decent. Struggles to blend the western theme it portrays across the setting of an estate in the midlands. Dek is just too weak a character to truly root for, even if Meadows was going for the James Stewart civilised man versus the wilder, reckless Jimmy. It's also good to see James Cosmo in films, though.

6.5/10

Robert The Bruce

Saw this the other day as part of the Edinburgh Film Festival. Understandable why Cineworld have chosen not to release it, it's pretty boring and will have a limited appeal (mainly to uber-nationalists). Hardly anything to do with Scottish history. Angus McFadyen is hilariously bad for the first hour or so, whenever his is in it it's mainly a close up of him with an exasperated look on his face but saying nothing. The other performances in it however are pretty decent. My friend described the movie as "the actors did well with not very much to work with". I felt that was a fair summary of proceedings. 

If not for the occasional character references such as The Bruce, The Black Douglas and John Comyn , this could have been a movie about anyone that lived on a croft in that time period.  I've seen this referred to as some sort of follow up to Braveheart but you couldn't be further from that suggestion. This is TV movie or straight to DVD level, which is disappointing because I wanted it to be good. 

The screening was followed by a Q&A and some of the cringeworthy questions asked (mainly questions about independence rather than the movie we had just watched) probably said a lot about the type of people this movie will appeal to. The cast however, fielded the questions well and were intelligent and amusing.

See it if you must but don't say you weren't warned. It's just no very good. 

4/10

Rocket Man (Odeon, Wester Hailes). 

Been showing for ages but screening still packed. Not usually one for musicals but glad to catch this in the cinema. Telling the story (of Elton John) through the songs felt very natural and the reworkings of all the songs were good. Quite touched by all the addiction struggles too and family troubles - still mulling lots of it over a couple of days later. 

Maybe a tiny bit sycophantic and a tiny bit too long but 8/10. 

So with the first half of the year done, what's everyone's favourites so far? Burning, Eighth Grade and Foxtrot for me.

Top five for me are Toy Story 4, Beats, Mid90s, Thunder Road and Eighth Grade in that order.