What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

14 hours ago, Principal Flutie said:

I think it the horror works at it's best when they're not overdoing it. That said, my favourite scene in the movie, and one that totally freaked me out, was the slideshow scene which was probably one of the most mental scene in it. That one definitely worked on me.

The entire climax was a bit dull to watch, although I did get unintentional comedy at least once.

I would agree, the slideshow scene was my favourite in the movie.

Toy Story 4:- A decent conclusion to the franchise although, I think you could have left it at 3 and had a better ending. A few good laughs in it and I’d say that ALL the new characters introduced were solid introductions. Them randomly shoe horning why Bo peep wasn’t in toy story 3 at the start of the film was pretty obvious but added to the story. 7/10

Late night:- ‘Comedy’ about an institutional late night American talk show host becoming stale and in danger of getting cancelled. Featuring Emma Thompson and Mindy Kaling. A bit of a long trudge but had some funny moments and Emma Thompson plays her role as the host pretty well Mindy Kaling just plays the same unfunny role she always does. A lot of ‘it’s 2019 you can’t say this and do that anymore’ jokes. 3/10

Booksmart
It’s been described as Superbad for girls but I’m not a girl or a particular fan of Superbad but I loved it, it was very funny. Excellent performances, a sharp, acidic script and a story that followed the expected formula for these films without being hackneyed or clunky.

Basic plot is two bookish students secure entry to good colleges by being wholly focussed on academic activity but after finding out that their irresponsible, drunken promiscuous classmates have also secured good college places they decide to have one night of debauchery to make up for lost time.

As said, it’s an kind of cliched plot but done very well. The jokes are always sharp and it manages to poke fun at the characters without being cruel or dunking on anyone - the film seems to like everyone in it, everyone has a upside. The actors get everything right, the chemistry between the two leads is superb and because of this when you get the third act emotional heft, mandatory in these movies, it’s actually moving and affecting.

The soundtrack is brilliant as well, even for an old fart like me.

Brightburn

Canny remember being genuinely scared by a horror as much as this one since [REC]. I'm a big fan of horrors, but I tend to find them more exciting than scary. Well, this definitely took a big jump into the latter. It's cliche ridden, and there's a couple of moments which thinking back, were properly "what the f**k is that?" levels. But I'm willing to forgive that since they use the usual horror tropes about as well as I've seen. The kid actor is absolutely fantastic, which probably helped to draw me into it. Visual horror is something I always enjoy, and this movie really goes in heavy on that. Loved this.

8/10

Brightburn
Canny remember being genuinely scared by a horror as much as this one since [REC]. I'm a big fan of horrors, but I tend to find them more exciting than scary. Well, this definitely took a big jump into the latter. It's cliche ridden, and there's a couple of moments which thinking back, were properly "what the f**k is that?" levels. But I'm willing to forgive that since they use the usual horror tropes about as well as I've seen. The kid actor is absolutely fantastic, which probably helped to draw me into it. Visual horror is something I always enjoy, and this movie really goes in heavy on that. Loved this.
8/10
Doesn't look that great on IMDB but you have me intrigued.

Hotel Mumbai

Pakistan based terrorists launch a murderous assault at various targets in India. Most of the film centres on the siege at the Taj Hotel and the efforts of the staff to protect the guests and lead them to safety. Apart from the head chef, i'm not sure how accurate the portrayal of the various characters are to the real event but it was well worth the watch.

7/10

Justice League - 1/10

Not really into superhero films and not seen any since the Nolan Batman Trilogy.  This was on at work so decided to sit and watch it, truly awful decision by me, what a load of shit.

It gets a single point for the casting of wonder woman, who was phenomenally attractive.

Edited by MONKMAN

Toy Story 4.
As a stand alone film it's probably really good. However, as part of the collection it just doesn't seem to fit. The ending to 3 was fitting to a great story but this seemed like a bit of a cash grab.
Buzz Lightyear has been turned into a total jabroni and it really doesn't sit well with me.

Guardians of the Galaxy 85%

Finally watched this last night and really enjoyed it. Not a fan of the Marvel/DC cash cow but appreciated this for its standalone-ness.

Will watch the sequel

Mission Impossible- Fallout

Runs a bit too long at times and isn't my favourite of the series, but it's a good effort with some excellent set pieces. 

8/10

I haven't watched it yet but I'm skeptical it'll be as bad as 3/10. I don't think any Pixar film would receive such a rating. Usually very good films.

The man watches Dunfermline for entertainment, his opinion is not to be taken seriously.

Toy Story 4 is an easy 9 for me. Feels totally different to the other movies though. I was kinda thrown by the entire feel of the movie in the first 10 minutes, but wound up just appreciating it for what it was. By the end, I was completely wrapped up in it.

Toy Story 4 is an easy 9 for me. Feels totally different to the other movies though. I was kinda thrown by the entire feel of the movie in the first 10 minutes, but wound up just appreciating it for what it was. By the end, I was completely wrapped up in it.
I enjoyed it. Seemed a lot narrower in scope with a very Woody-centric story. Not necessarily a bad thing but think we could have done with more screen time for the old side characters. Jessie for example, barely said two words.

Overall though, it's still pixar so obviously it's excellent and the stuff in the RV was fun.

The Mule

Good film but anti climatic. Needed a bloodbath/ shootout to finish it with Eastwood massacring the drug cartel with his Magnum. 

6/10. 

Under the silver lake

LA hipster movie -Weird for the sake of being weird. Quite boring and I fell asleep in the middle. Good soundtrack. 

4/10. 

Toy story 4 

Average compared to the other toy story movies. Toy story 3 is a great film and this one  didn't need to be made.  Characters seemed quite one dimensional compared to the other films and the story line was wafer thin. The first thirty minutes was dreadful while the storyline was shoehorned in. Forky also quickly forgotten about was his purpose of setting up the story was fulfilled. This film felt like a bit of a mess compared to the others . Quite disappointed with it but the kids liked it which is the main thing. 

3/10.