What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

On 20/05/2019 at 03:01, MSU said:

Dragged by the missus and kids to see the Pokémon movie. Imagine them making a Flumps movie and Pootle was possessed by a Sumarian demon. What an utter pile of shite. 0/10. 

I'd watch that. 

8c746c7392c45b89d1130f2dfd24d5ce.jpg

Rocketman.

Really enjoyed this, wasn't that much into his music before I went but while being a bit of a light look at some of his madness it was really well done and taron Egerton has some voice on him.

Solid 8/10 

Prince Avalanche (2013)

After a huge wildfire in Texas, in 1987, 2 guys are repairing road signage & traffic lines out in the burnt wilderness. The older guy Alvin is dating his co-worker Lance's sister. Two characters who are the polar opposite of each other become pals after a while.

A crazy old guy in a truck appears every so often with gifts of alcohol & lessons on life for Alvin & Lance. The old guy in the truck character & old woman who appeared kept me viewing tbh, great scenery and music though.

6/10

I watched Hangman on Netflix. I really enjoyed it and was surprised to read it has been panned by the critics and was a disaster at box office. 8/10 for me.

I also really enjoyed highwaymen. Although it would have been better if we got a little bit of Bonnie and Clyde’s side of the story. 8/10

I’d watch a sequel for both the above.

Aladdin 7.5/10

Thoroughly enjoyable family film and stunningly beautiful to look at. A couple of dodgy bits of CGI but on the whole, given the sheer amount of CGI in this film, they did a very good job with it....the Carpet in particular looks every bit as good in live action as it did in the cartoon (which was the first CGI animated character they ever created), they also made the setting of Agrabah look wonderful, vibrant and colourful. 

Difficult to match on the original with it's fantastic score and beautiful animation but they do a very good job both in terms of musically and visually.

Will Smith in the genie role always had massive shoes to fill and mercifully didn't try to be Robin Williams - he played it very campy and generally more reserved than the madness in RW's performance but was quite enjoyable. He takes a lot of stick but I've always liked him - it's his twat of a boy I can't get to grips with.

My main issue though was the miscasting of Jafar. Marwan Kenzari is far too good looking and young to play him, he needed to be about 6 inches taller, 20 years older and a fuckload uglier. Really struggled to get past it and buy into him.

Really enjoyed this all in all but I still hold the original as one of my favourite Disney films of all time so it's not quite at that level. Definitely re-watchable.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Aladdin 7.5/10

Thoroughly enjoyable family film and stunningly beautiful to look at. A couple of dodgy bits of CGI but on the whole, given the sheer amount of CGI in this film, they did a very good job with it....the Carpet in particular looks every bit as good in live action as it did in the cartoon (which was the first CGI animated character they ever created), they also made the setting of Agrabah look wonderful, vibrant and colourful. 

Difficult to match on the original with it's fantastic score and beautiful animation but they do a very good job both in terms of musically and visually.

Will Smith in the genie role always had massive shoes to fill and mercifully didn't try to be Robin Williams - he played it very campy and generally more reserved than the madness in RW's performance but was quite enjoyable. He takes a lot of stick but I've always liked him - it's his twat of a boy I can't get to grips with.

My main issue though was the miscasting of Jafar. Marwan Kenzari is far too good looking and young to play him, he needed to be about 6 inches taller, 20 years older and a fuckload uglier. Really struggled to get past it and buy into him.

Really enjoyed this all in all but I still hold the original as one of my favourite Disney films of all time so it's not quite at that level. Definitely re-watchable.

Agree with the majority of that.

Like you, I love the animated version, and it was tough to avoid comparing. I thought Smith was really good, and there were some nice little background touches, like the Carpet building a certain castle in the sand while they were in the desert.

The only point I'd pick you up on is that you didn't mention that Naomi Scott was absolutely stunning. Not sure if she's up to the level of the original though!

1 minute ago, Mark Connolly said:

Agree with the majority of that.

Like you, I love the animated version, and it was tough to avoid comparing. I thought Smith was really good, and there were some nice little background touches, like the Carpet building a certain castle in the sand while they were in the desert.

The only point I'd pick you up on is that you didn't mention that Naomi Scott was absolutely stunning. Not sure if she's up to the level of the original though!

Yeah, she's absolutely gorgeous - had no idea who she was before seeing the movie. For the miscasting of Jafar, the casting of the two lead characters was absolutely spot on.

Clocked the castle in the sand as well as the changing of the map scene - I'm a lover of going to Disneyworld so that gave me a wee chuckle.

Aladdin 6/10

Unlike the guys above Aladdin is one where I had never seen the animated original so went in with a fresh view.

Pretty enjoyable didn’t realise how many songs were in it I thought it was just the carpet song. Maybe a tad long is my only complaint. Enjoyed smiths role as the genie.

Rocketman 6.5/10

The main thing I did during this film was compare it to Bohemian rhapsody for obvious reasons, and for me it wasn’t as good as it. It was still a good watch but as Bohemian rhapsody set a high bar it would always struggle to reach that and look weaker because of it.

It was a bit more gritty in some places as you see Elton just about getting pumped and doing a lot of gear, but it was much more cheesy in some places as they would just randomly burst in to song over dinner or drinks etc. with his mum, gran and such joining in.

Taron delivers a solid performance as Elton but nothing on Malek’s Mercury.

18 hours ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Rocketman 6.5/10

The main thing I did during this film was compare it to Bohemian rhapsody for obvious reasons, and for me it wasn’t as good as it. It was still a good watch but as Bohemian rhapsody set a high bar it would always struggle to reach that and look weaker because of it.

It was a bit more gritty in some places as you see Elton just about getting pumped and doing a lot of gear, but it was much more cheesy in some places as they would just randomly burst in to song over dinner or drinks etc. with his mum, gran and such joining in.

Taron delivers a solid performance as Elton but nothing on Malek’s Mercury.

Saw this last weekend, thought it wanted to be Bohemian rhapsody and Sunshine on Leith., and couldn't decide which one it actually wanted to be.

Interesting insight into EHJ's troubled and brilliant life.

7.5/10

John Wick 3.... What a thrill ride this franchise has been. John must be on one hell of a killstreak by now as well. Long may it continue as well, bring on John Wick 4!
9/10.
Loved it. Seemed even more brutal than the first two. I physically winced on more than one occasion.

John Wick 3.... What a thrill ride this franchise has been. John must be on one hell of a killstreak by now as well. Long may it continue as well, bring on John Wick 4!
9/10.
Google know what the people want to know.

Also, the number is 299 on screen kills over the three films apparently. Screenshot_20190528-224744_Google.jpg

You Were Never Really Here (2017)

Joaquin Phoenix is Joe, an ex-war veteran with a very troubled past and a fairly disturbed mind, through a shady middle-man he earns a living finding and rescuing missing girls.

He also lives and looks after his elderly mother.

The middle-man (McLeary) gives him the job of finding a US senator's daughter, the job goes tits up, the subject matter is disturbing, and there is a lot of exceptional violence in the movie too. Some of the dialogue was a bit mumbled at times which is a pain in the arse.

Kind of similar to Taxi Driver.

Directed by Lynne Ramsay. Decent enough movie

7/10

Went to see Rocketman last night. A very weird film to judge. As has been said it really draws you in at certain parts and then out of nowhere, just goes a bit mental into song with kids running about and gran joining in. 

I suppose that's a reflection on his own conflicted, troubled pass. 

Enjoyed it though, in no rush to see again. 

7/10.

Edited by Dele

Crooked House on Netflix. I never guessed who the killer was until nearer the end which is always good. I wasn’t that satisfied with the ending and I’m disappointed there wasn’t a sex scene involving Sophia. 7/10