What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

That Brawl in Cell Block 99 director is becoming something quite brilliant. Bone Tomahawk and Dragged Across Concrete are his other movies and are also worth a look.

Bone Tomahawk is superb and I had no idea it was the same director until now.

I fancy seeing this Endgame nonsense but don't want to see it in the cinema for weird reasons that only I truly understand.
I feel bad asking this, but could someone PM me a link to a site where I could watch it, or a recommendation for sites that usually provide this service?

I fancy seeing this Endgame nonsense but don't want to see it in the cinema for weird reasons that only I truly understand.
I feel bad asking this, but could someone PM me a link to a site where I could watch it, or a recommendation for sites that usually provide this service?
PM sent peanut bladder.

Dead Man's Shoes

Sensational performance from Paddy Considine. Feels like Rambo in Derbyshire. Not an awful lot of gore/blood but it feels more intense because of it.

"You, you were supposed to be a monster - now I'm the fucking beast. There's blood on my hands, from what you made me do."

9/10

Another Shane Meadows one:

The Stone Roses: Made of Stone

Shane Meadows got behind the scenes access to 2012 reunion gigs. The Roses had also thoughtfully filmed everything they ever did from the early 80s onwards so there was a huge amount of archive stuff. He was unashamedly fanboy-ish throughout and you could tell how much care he'd put into the selection of the footage to really convey the talent and the swagger. I could have done with a bit less of the lager lout types 'avin it but some of the band footage was impressive. My jaw dropped at some of the rehearsal stuff - Reni's drumming in particular. John Squire's Fools Gold solo at Heaton Park was pretty incredible too. 

I liked the band anyway so the film was preaching to the converted but if you're not a fan/have never really paid much attention then Meadows does a decent job of conveying his passion for them. 

8/10 

Bohemian Rhapsody

I'm not really a Queen fan but I do appreciate that they were talented and they fully deserve their success. Malik put in a decent performance as Mercury, making him look both really cool and a bit of an arsehole at the same time. This was entertaining enough although I believe they played hard and fast with the timeline. I like the Wayne's World gag as well.

6/10

10 hours ago, Comrie said:

Dead Man's Shoes

Sensational performance from Paddy Considine. Feels like Rambo in Derbyshire. Not an awful lot of gore/blood but it feels more intense because of it.

"You, you were supposed to be a monster - now I'm the fucking beast. There's blood on my hands, from what you made me do."

9/10

Understated but powerful. Lot's of very dark,  bleak humour. What's not to like about that film?

'Rambo in Derbyshire'.  I'll go with that. 

The 'gangsters' in the Citroen 2CV was a piece of class. 

Edited by oldbitterandgrumpy

Couple of big catch-up posts....

118- 121

Red Joan 2/10

Was a huge disappointment. Competently made, I suppose; competently acted, if you must; and the premise was at least promising. The story though was stupendously uninteresting, and ended quite abruptly and entirely unsatisfactorily. In fact, imagine if you will a feature length, very boring, joke-free episode of How I Met Your Father. (cinema)

Minding The Gap 8.5/10

Doco about a group of three friends growing up in small town shitsville Illinois, all of them heavily into skateboarding as a way of bringing some control to their pretty chaotic lives (principally as a result of having to deal with domestic violence.) One of them then knitted together years worth of footage he had taken and interviews he had done with his friends and partners and his own mum into an incredibly honest and insightful portrait of their lives. Started out quite slowly and then by the end I was totally blown away. (stream)

Rita Sue and Bob Too 7/10

Finishing off the Alan Clarke oeuvre, this time about two schoolgirls who babysit for a local shagger. I first and last saw this illicitly in hospital about 25 years ago and think it was the first time I saw sex happening in anything. A combination of that sex pest types guffawing at the mention of it put me off this a a “film for mucky gets”. But actually this is good. There’s an even better film that could have been edited out of this, if you got rid of a couple of very 80s musical choices and slightly injudicious moments (like I don’t think there’s any need for Sue to refer to her Pakistani boyfriend as a ‘Paki’ beyond the initial faux pas) and made more use of the amazing walking shots (the opening few minutes and the middle bit where Bob’s wife confronts Sue & Rita is just Best of Film territory) and moor-top moments then this would be a total Britfilm classic. It’s also really well-written and it’s a total travesty that Andrea Dunbar died so young. (DVD)

Before Midnight 7/10

Third in the trilogy of Linklater films about a couple who met (film 1), met again (film 2), and are now more than a decade into their romance. If pressed I’d say this was the worst of the three: in then first Hawke is a twerp but there’s magic in the air, the second is tighter and more sure of itself, while in this both characters have become a bit more of this earth - for most of the final half they bicker incessantly. She wants to take some job in Paris while he is feeling guilty about leaving his son behind in the US. But it’s still a good film and adult in the best sense - it just trusts you to get on with it with very little signposting and exposition (outside of one scene which is purely exposition) with at least 5 scenes of just 10 minutes of talking talking talking. (Amazon)

Just wrote these up in another window and it wouldn’t post so c&p job.....(they’ll probably randomly pop up in about 8 posts at some point now after I smashed the post button furiously to no avail! 

(122-126)

Phase IV 3/10

My mate’s favourite film and I’ve promised him for months I would take the time to watch it. I was confused by the plot. I was underwhelmed by the cinematography. It was, not to be too harsh, total shit. What was that guy with the swollen hand even thinking? What was the guy who looks like Rob Brydon even doing there? Why was the girl so beautiful? Didn’t get it. (Netflix)

The Miseducation of Cameron Post 8/10

Chloe Grace Moretz as a young woman caught getting off with her best mate in the back of a car is sent to a fundamentalist Christian re-education camp. This was absolutely great. It would be easy to make this film in a very different way but I thought it was very generously spirited to almost everyone in the cast. This was really good. (Netflix)

The Double 6/10

It’s a really, really weird film, it felt a lot like Brazil throughout, Jesse Eisenberg, a total loser who lacks confidence works in an odd bureaucracy and falls in love with a woman who lives over the road. One day someone turns up to work who looks identical, but he’s everything our hero wishes he could be. I don’t think I understood this at all. But I enjoyed what it was trying to do and there were really good cameos from Wallace Shawn, Tim Key and Chris Morris. (Amazon Prime)

American Pie Reunion 0/10

I watched this. (Netflix)

Eighth Grade 8/10

If you told someone the synopsis for this film: shy awkward 13-year old girl tries to make sense of the world through obsessing over social media and making tragic self-help/advice YouTube videos that nobody is watching they might not have great expectations for this film given the usual v predictable story arc and archetypal characters these kind of films normally adhere to but this was so much better than that...so well observed, really nailed the anxieties and obsessive worries that most people end up going through at some point in adolescence. (cinema)

Anomalisa

A story about a man who feels that everyone around him looks and sounds like Tom Noonan, which is a terrifying thought. I really enjoyed it, a mate hated it.

8/10

Tangerine

Film about transgender sex workers in Florida, one is released from prison and goes on a rampage to find the girl her pimp is cheating on her with. Shot on an Iphone and I thought it would look terrible, but it suits the grimy, sleazy nature of the film.

7.5/10