What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

The Boy In the Striped Pyjamas - I really enjoyed this film. It is essentially a view of the Holocaust as seen through the eyes of a pair of young boys - one German, one Jewish - who become friends through the wires of a concentration camp. The ending is really good and caught me by surprise.   7/10.

(94)

The Terminator 7/10

First watch for about 15 years. Think it’s an enormously visually witty film for a film in the narrow purview of Hollywood action and I like Michael Biehn as the tragic hero. Thinking about it as a kind of modern tech noir is interesting and gives it a depth that I never really thought of it as having. Lot of fun. (Sky)

Stan & Ollie

Loved it. Coogan gets a lot of plaudits for playing Laurel but John C Reilly is also superb as Hardy. A gentle film looking at the twilight moments of their career, I just found myself enthralled throughout. 

Stan & Ollie

Loved it. Coogan gets a lot of plaudits for playing Laurel but John C Reilly is also superb as Hardy. A gentle film looking at the twilight moments of their career, I just found myself enthralled throughout. 

Score out of 10?

Please don’t say 7/10. 7/10 is the new beige.

I'd give it an 8. It doesn't grab you by the throat and take you on a roller coaster of emotions, but it stays in the memory long after the closing credits. Probably my favourite film so far this year - so much so I felt moved to comment here, something I don't normally do. 

Stan & Ollie

Watched this yesterday and did enjoy it. Not many belly laughs but quite a gentle comedy. 7.5/10

On 4/9/2019 at 00:04, Christophe said:

(93)

Under The Silver Lake 7/10

Was quite intrigued by the mix of five and one star reviews for this. Made by the same bloke that did It Follows although you would never guess, did enjoy it even though I can totally see why some people hated it (story was prettay ridiculous and didn’t really make all that much sense) just always love this style of film tho (even where the stories a bit dodgy)...trippy LA neo noir stuff with loads of it set round those courtyard apartment blocks that only seem to exist there. Garfield was particularly good and I usually think he’s shhhhhit! (Mubi) 

I watched this a couple of weeks ago at the GFT. One of the most frustrating films I've seen in years. I didn't like it and I didn't dislike it, just really frustrated by it. Elements of it were very good, other parts were just abysmal. I left with a feeling of "what the f**k was that?"

My brother saw it the week before at Eden Court and loved it though.

Lone Survivor (2013)

True story about a small group of US special forces that were sent on a mission to take out a Taliban leader in 2005. A mistake is made and the mission is compromised.

The battle scenes in this film were very, very good. Riveting

I quite like these true story/survival films, Rescue Dawn with Christian Bale was decent & the one with Owen Wilson downed in Yugoslavia was ok.

Lone Survivor was probably on par with them. There's a nice montage at the end just before titles kick in.

7.5/10

Lone Survivor (2013)
True story about a small group of US special forces that were sent on a mission to take out a Taliban leader in 2005. A mistake is made and the mission is compromised.
The battle scenes in this film were very, very good. Riveting
I quite like these true story/survival films, Rescue Dawn with Christian Bale was decent & the one with Owen Wilson downed in Yugoslavia was ok.
Lone Survivor was probably on par with them. There's a nice montage at the end just before titles kick in.
7.5/10

If you like true story war films you’ll like 12 Strong, worth a viewing.

I watched this a couple of weeks ago at the GFT. One of the most frustrating films I've seen in years. I didn't like it and I didn't dislike it, just really frustrated by it. Elements of it were very good, other parts were just abysmal. I left with a feeling of "what the f**k was that?"
My brother saw it the week before at Eden Court and loved it though.

It's truly guff, but I wanted to like it. A good premise without a script to make you invest in its lofty premise.

On 12/04/2019 at 09:41, NewBornBairn said:

I'd give it an 8. It doesn't grab you by the throat and take you on a roller coaster of emotions, but it stays in the memory long after the closing credits. Probably my favourite film so far this year - so much so I felt moved to comment here, something I don't normally do. 

Yes it was sad to see them,  and i could see the Actors as Stan and Ollie getting old and at the end of their careers.

I wonder how non fans seen the film though?

Captain Marvel - figured I'd better drag us all along to this before the new Avengers film. Was expecting a decent, but unadventurous primer for the main event at the end of the month.

Far more enjoyable than I'd thought. Sam Jackson and Brie Larson are great together, and this youthenising technology is fucking impressive these days. Jude Law is well used, and I liked their approach to one of the alien races. Marvel do a great line in light incidental dialogue without overdoing it. Also, flerken.

Likely to be the best film this year in which Sam Jackson loses his shit over a cute cat.

Halfway House (1944) 

10 people, all with problems are drawn to the Halfway House, an Inn, in the Welsh countryside during WWII in 1943. 

The owner & his daughter all give hints as to why they are there as the guests check in. It's a bit of a morality tale with the supernatural thrown in. 

Gem of an old Ealing Studios movie. Easy viewing

7/10 

halfway house movie.jpg

(95-99)

Out of Blue 7/10

Interesting little film this one. A re-working of a Martin Amis novel (Night Train) by Carol Morey, starring Patricia Clarkson (who’s a wonderful actor but not at the top of her game here) as a homicide cop who can’t remember her childhood, investigating the apparent murder of a young woman who is a theoretical astrophysicist. On the surface it’s a noir thriller but it goes into issues of particle physics, Schroedinger’s cat, multiple universes, duality in general. Even Eels gets a namecheck, in relation to his dad Hugh Everett III who posited the many worlds theory and asked for his remains to be put out with the rubbish. It’s a tightly told story which brings together multiple strands in a satisfying conclusion and I really did enjoy it quite a lot. I suspect however that it’s not quite as clever as it thinks it is - perhaps a bit like Martin Amis! (cinema)

Dumbo 4/10

Literally, what is point?It was, like, ok, kinda, I guess, but what.is.point? 

*Point is Burton’s Alice films drew well over a billion dollars. Because people are stupid. 

*Other point is that if Disney don’t use their IP rights then they fall into public domain. (cinema)

The Fugitive 7/10

One of a funpack of six DVDs I got from CEX (others: Fargo, Fish Tank, Eternal Sunshine, Lawrence of Arabia, Inglorious Basterds) for £3 (mostly teaching aids). Always had a bit of a love for this but probably my first watch in 15 years. Mostly it holds up - the pace is constant but never overly quick, there are spots where things breathe, even though in the first half hour Harrison Ford goes from free man to arrested to trial to prison bus to on the lam to diving off a dam - without losing focus on other characters, emotional development, etc. The ending is great too, for the kind of film it is (superior thriller/action) - Ford is absolved, the One-Armed Man is caught and the friend who betrayed him vanquished, but there’s this hollowness, like, great, got to go back to my wifeless freedom. It does feel like a TV movie in parts from the perspective of 2019 bit generally a good template for future endeavours should people consider the need to make films from templates.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind 7.5/10

Think it’s still pretty good and clever despite feeling like a lot of sad indie songs of that time. The visual tricks are amazingly well done and am surprised Gondry hasn’t gone on to be one of the main filmmakers of our time. 

McQueen 6/10

Documentary about fashion enfant terrible (bad child) Alexander McQueen, very interesting lad if you like this sort of thing which i do. (Netflix)

Theeb (2014)

Set in the Jordanian desert during WWI, Theeb is a young Bedouin boy.

One night a British soldier & his Arab guide enters Theeb's home camp, they stay a few days and the boy's brother Hussein is assigned to guide the soldier and Arab safely to a well/meeting point, Theeb sneaks out & follows them.

Trouble breaks out & the film follows Theeb's journey in the Jordan desert lands.

Something a bit different, it was a good movie. Enjoyed it .

7/10