What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

2 hours ago, jimmy boo said:
13 hours ago, Silverton End said:
Nebraska (2013)
Bruce Dern is Woody Grant, a boozehound with a bit of dementia. He gets a scam mailing through the post telling him he's won $1m & he sets off for the competition company's head office in Lincoln, Nebraska at every opportunity, usually on foot.
Fed up with him wandering off along the highway and Woody usually being brought home by the cops, his son David relents & agrees to drive his dad all the way from his home in Montana to Nebraska. A road trip ensues, stopping off on the way at dad's old hometown for a reunion of sorts with a variety of characters.
The film was a bit slow at first but just got better & better, Woody's acid-tongued wife is brilliant in this movie. Most of the cast must have been 70+yrs old in this, bar a handful of younger characters.
The Mid-West USA scenery & landscapes were great, the movie is in b&w.
Well worth watching & the ending was just magic.
8/10

Does he get the cash? Actually don't tell me.

:lol: It was on Film4 jimmy, so may well get shown again.

2 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

I feel like I am going nuts but I was sure Nebraska was in colour when I saw it. Loved that film.

Definitely b&w Mixu.

It had a similar vibe to The Straight Story, the true tale about the old guy (Alvin Straight) who tries to travel across the USA on his lawnmower to visit his ill brother.

Another good film

Definitely b&w Mixu.
It had a similar vibe to The Straight Story, the true tale about the old guy (Alvin Straight) who tries to travel across the USA on his lawnmower to visit his ill brother.
Another good film
You're making this up now?[emoji1]

On 4/3/2019 at 16:34, accies1874 said:

Sorry to say I was disappointed by 'Us'.
I liked the fact it was a horror with character/family stuff at the forefront, but it wasn't scary enough to make the non-character/family stuff worthwhile to me. There was a creepiness in the opening 45 or so that I liked, however it wasn't capable of going beyond that when it needed to.
In fact, much of it felt quite by-the-numbers before losing the plot with 15/20 to go.
Like 'Get Out', there was a load of really clever imagery packed in there, and I'm sure there was a load that I missed so maybe a re-watch will change my opinion, especially given I'm not quite sure what it all meant.
There was also far too big a chunk of this that reminded me of last year's pretty rubbish Strangers: Prey at Night.

Didn't find this remotely scary and as you say it lost the plot. A huge disappointment and very overrated.

(88-91)

Easy Rider 8/10

Rewatched this, feel like I’ve underrated it before. It’s got some gorgeous shots and one of the best endings in film history.  The soundtrack gets a bit dadrock at times but it’s a really subtle bit of work, and I like the way the plot is basically “we have to get to this place at an undetermined time and when we get there we don’t see much of it”, it’s open-ended and philosophical and only very occasionally beats you over the head with it. (Amazon)

Our Kind Of Traitor 4/10

Ewan McGregor film, utter shit, don’t bother. (Netflix)

The Ghost 3/10

Another McGregor (accidentally, I wasn’t on a Ewan McGregor trip), utter shit AND total bollocks, don’t bother. (Amazon Prime)

Kindergarten Teacher 7/10

IF you can overlook the pretty daft central conceit of the story - that a five year old kid is some kind of poetry prodigy - then I do think this is a good film,  the story isn’t really about the kid anyway but in reality the portrait of someone (Maggie Gylenhaal) who desperately craves a more fulfilling life to the point that is sends her a bit mental. (stream)

Edited by Christophe

(92)

Lords of Chaos 7/10

OK so yes, this definitely has its flaws. It’s Mayhem’s story with Euronymous as your narrator so the focus is quite narrow (barring Burzum none of the other Norwegian BM bands get a mention) and it maybe doesn’t examine some things as closely as it could have done. I also felt like they sort of struggled with using Euronymous as the protagonist - there isn’t a massive amount of character development and he’s not exactly a sympathetic character (I’ll get to this). That said I did enjoy it a lot - I knew the background and it’s a story that tells itself really (it is still pretty shocking too). A lot of effort seemed to have been put into getting the visual details of the era right (a lot was recreated from old photos), which I really liked. It was also just fun seeing and hearing the not-the-real-Mayhem doing ‘Freezing Moon’ on the big screen. Despite the lingering shots of burning churches I also do think the film did a good job of getting across how senseless the violence was and you’d have to be very blinkered not to come away thinking that these people were anything but a bunch of stupid, immature dickheads. In terms of the main characters, Euronymous is obviously the scene’s driving force with his band, label and record shop but he’s also full of crap and his pronouncements are confused and contradictory. His reservations about the terrible things his friends do are only based on self-interest. Mayhem vocalist Dead is just this weird, morbid guy which is apparently quite accurate. Varg Vikernes is portrayed a sociopath but also a complete DORK and the gap between this and how the real-life Varg sees himself made it even funnier. I’m not too bothered about how accurately some of the actual events are depicted - they’ve obviously gone for the most dramatic version possible in a couple of places but on the other hand the book the film is based on (which I haven’t read) is supposedly similarly sketchy and for some of what happened we’ve only got Varg’s version of events to go on and he’s hardly a reliable source is he. I will say that I could have done without all the jump-cut hallucination/flashback bits. I think maybe Akerlund needed someone to remind him he wasn’t directing Rammstein videos in 2006 anymore. I’d hesitate to recommend it to anyone not interested in black metal and also anyone highly averse to gore (I am not usually too bothered by this but the scene where Dead 

commits suicide

was really rough). All in all though, good, film and bonus points for successfully trolling Varg. (cinema)

Edited by Christophe

American Hustle.

Seen it a couple of times before, having a lazy movie night on the SKY planner that I do once or twice of a weeknight, fantastic film this, set in 1970's Atlantic City, the story of the FBI trying to entrap corrupt senators and politicians taking backhanders from gambling rackets tied to the mob.

Christian Bale is slightly annoying in the lead role for me, purely because he seems to mumble his way through his part, although it is, in fairness a very good portrayal of the small time hustler who gets out of his depth when stung by the feds, having to set up congressmen for Bradley Cooper's equally corrupt FBI man, brilliant supporting turn as well from Jeremy Renner as the well meaning but slightly bent mayor who, ultimately gets conned and set up by Bale.

Can't decide who is more smoking hot of the two main females in this, Amy Adams or Jennifer Lawrence, im just going to say both :wub:

Edited by Flybhoy

Fantastic Mr Fox (again). Still love it.
While GBH is probably Wes Anderson's best film, FMF will probs always be my fave. I've loved it since I saw it in the cinema as a wee kid and have grown to realise how good it actually is as time's gone on.

The Guilty

A Danish movie where a guy on the phones at the emergency services gets a call from the victim of a kidnapping and he tries to do something about it. The whole thing is set at this guy's phone basically as he tries to get to get it sorted, and it's a gripping movie which had me invested almost as soon as the first call came in.

9/10

1 hour ago, Principal Flutie said:

The Guilty

A Danish movie where a guy on the phones at the emergency services gets a call from the victim of a kidnapping and he tries to do something about it. The whole thing is set at this guy's phone basically as he tries to get to get it sorted, and it's a gripping movie which had me invested almost as soon as the first call came in.

9/10

Great concept that, but thought it was very shoddily written.

(93)

Under The Silver Lake 7/10

Was quite intrigued by the mix of five and one star reviews for this. Made by the same bloke that did It Follows although you would never guess, did enjoy it even though I can totally see why some people hated it (story was prettay ridiculous and didn’t really make all that much sense) just always love this style of film tho (even where the stories a bit dodgy)...trippy LA neo noir stuff with loads of it set round those courtyard apartment blocks that only seem to exist there. Garfield was particularly good and I usually think he’s shhhhhit! (Mubi) 

Hotel Artemis

Really wanted this to be decent- great cast and the kind of setting I really like, but this is a mess. The tonal shifts and stiff plot just do not work. A shame as Jodie Foster is very good in this and Batista is decent. Also Sofia Boutella is pretty damn fine but no, avoid this.

4/10