What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Stan & Ollie

I enjoyed this from a nostalgic point of view. Coogan and Reilly played their parts really well. Reilly is uncanny as Oliver Hardy though. Not watched any of Laurel & Hardy films in years but I've got a feature film boxset of theirs and watching this has put me in the mood to dig it out.

7/10

The Love Witch, recorded from Film 4

Where to start? I think the director had lofty ambitions of copying the style (on a tiny budget) of the technicolour epics of the 1950s but ended up with a bonkers cross between Russ Meyer, The Wicker Man and an old episode of Batman, with a touch of Hammer Horror. None the worse for it though. Damaged by overbearing men in her life, the main character finds witchcraft and views it as a way to find perfect love. Doesn't quite work out like that and the men in her life have a habit of ending up dead. The main character is so pretty, as are most of the rest of the witches, that it's not a difficult film to watch. You could easily bin it after a few minutes and think it's terrible but I'd say if you like The Wicker Man and Russ Meyer then you'll probably have  a laugh with this.

7/10 

3 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

The Love Witch, recorded from Film 4

Where to start? I think the director had lofty ambitions of copying the style (on a tiny budget) of the technicolour epics of the 1950s but ended up with a bonkers cross between Russ Meyer, The Wicker Man and an old episode of Batman, with a touch of Hammer Horror. None the worse for it though. Damaged by overbearing men in her life, the main character finds witchcraft and views it as a way to find perfect love. Doesn't quite work out like that and the men in her life have a habit of ending up dead. The main character is so pretty, as are most of the rest of the witches, that it's not a difficult film to watch. You could easily bin it after a few minutes and think it's terrible but I'd say if you like The Wicker Man and Russ Meyer then you'll probably have  a laugh with this.

7/10 

I thought it was absolutely bonkers and loved it.

Sharknado 5

awful and jesus tara reid is starting to look like the coke is starting to take a toll on her

1/10

Selma

Finally finished this today with my S3 class. In hindsight, maybe not the best one for them as it's a bit talky but a great breakdown of the events that we cover. Main performance as MLK is excellent, with the speech at the end being note perfect. When it first started playing over the original footage, I thought it was the original recording of it.

No holds barred on the violence against the demonstrators either. Another excellent film to add to a long list of ones covering that era.

Captain Marvel

Solid background story that I enjoyed more than I expected. All comes together nicely. Larsson is excellent as the very badass Captain Marvel and the Kree - Skroll conflict ends up being a fairly good setting. Also nice to see Fury getting a prolonged outing also

Fisherman's Friend

Didn't realise this was a true story til the end credits. Overall, an enjoyable, feel good film with a classic fish out of water theme. Bit full on with the Cornish clichés but I'll forgive them in. Some catchy sea shanties throughout as well which is always good

(69-72)

On The Basis Of Sex 4/10

Did NOT plan that numbering! A perfectly capable feel-good TV movie biopic which had no business showing in cinemas. I can’t help not hating Felicity Jones (indeed she was brilliant in A Monster Calls) because she went to the same school as my sister not long after her. Armie Hammer is great as he always is. Lots of splendid character actors doing decent work. But riddled with cliche. (cinema)

The Usual Suspects 7/10

Five men put together (by who?) in a police line-up end up collaborating on crimes that lead them to the door of an enigmatic crimelord playing them like $2 pianos. Watched this in bed the other night on Amazon Prime having not seen it for a good 18 years or so. Obv Singer and Spacey are non-persons in 2019, but let’s forget that for now. The film is flawed on merit. I like it, it clips along with a good story, cool set-pieces, some nice visuals and top-line acting (literally everyone is good in this from the five on the poster to Dan Hedaya and Pete Postelthwhaite). But it feels so “written” in parts. I can’t explain it. You can see the gears cranking. Possibly that is Singer’s doing as much as McQuarrie, but it just wants to convince you that it’s a stylish and smart film that it starts to jar. The ending has been written about endlessly and it is worth thinking about. But ultimately it’s a superior 90s thriller without being high art. 

Last Flight to Abuja 6/10

Nollywood classic based around the series of air disasters in Nigeria around 2006. Throws a load of mud at the wall - soap, music video, thriller, disaster film, corporate espionage - and it mostly sticks despite the effects being done on Windows XP as a last-minute homework project. It does this absolutely crazy/brilliant thing where the narrative paddles along and then arbitrarily rewinds about 20 minutes and does it all again from different perspectives despite already having seen things from some of those perspectives already - for no obvious reason, it’s not like Rashomon or something. Not a ‘great film’ but watched in a room with people laughing it was a blast. (YouTube)

Destroyer 6/10

Nicole Kidman plays an undercover cop whose time undercover has left her broken, but she still works as a cop, dedicated to bringing down the villain whose operation she was sent undercover to defeat. Lots of long, slow shots which are intended to build tension but they don’t always work. Kidman’s performance, especially as the older, broken cop is just brilliant, best I’ve ever seen her do, but while the direction aims for something quite arty it was unfortunately quite boring at times. Some great set-pieces burn overall underwhelming albeit with many positives. (stream)

On the Basis of Sex did my fucking head in. There's a way of making such a feel good biopic without going for every single cheesy cliche you can think of during it. It was one of the very rare times that I've walked out during a movie. Couldn't stomach it.

Captain Marvel

Decent origin story. Brie Larson is a delight as usual and brings Captain Marvel to life well. Has an infectious energy and personality that makes you want to root for her. A lot of Nick Fury in this. Cool to see him but sometimes less is more. I'm really looking forward to Endgame now.

7/10

49th Parallel (1941)

A German U-boat gets sunk in Hudson's Bay, 6 survivors led by their fanatical senior officer try to make their way across Canada to (then neutral) USA.

A cracking 'propaganda' film from Powell & Pressburger, essentially highlighting democracy v dictatorship.

Very dark at times, the movie follows their encounters & killings with various Canadians.

6 men versus 11 million declares Goebbels!

Great music from Ralph Vaughn Williams & lovely scenery, a nice twist at the end too.

Brilliant  9/10

The Pianist.

True story of a classical pianist who is a Polish jew in Krakow when the Germans invade Poland whose family are sent to the jewish ghetto and onwards to a concentration camp. Directed by Roman Polanski whose own parents went through similar at the time. Outstanding....10/10.

Wild Rose

Caught this at an unlimited screening tonight. Heard good things and wasn't disappointed.

Fairly predictable but gripping story about an ex-con who abandons her duties as a parent to try and make it as a star but in this case it's a Glaswegian wanting to make it big in Nashville. Excellent lead performance from Jessie Buckley - accent is a bit overcooked at times but she shows a great range and her vocals are excellent. Some great tunes throughout. Solid supporting role from Julie Walters also as her long suffering mum.

Highlight for me was the fact that it is almost entirely filmed in Glasgow. The Laurieston, Silverburn, Priesthill, the Fruitmarket and a memorable outdoor sex scene overlooking the pure gym at charing cross.

Very much recommended when it comes out

11 hours ago, jimmy boo said:

The Pianist.

True story of a classical pianist who is a Polish jew in Krakow when the Germans invade Poland whose family are sent to the jewish ghetto and onwards to a concentration camp. Directed by Roman Polanski whose own parents went through similar at the time. Outstanding....10/10.

Incredible film, was in absolute tatters when I seen it.

(73-74)

Captain Marvel 6/10

Lots of fun, the de-aging CG on SLJ was incredible. Sits in the middle of the Marvel Universe for me. (cinema)

Capernaum 10/10

Absolutely amazing film, heartbreaking and heartwarming with the best child acting I have ever seen. Easily the best film I’ve seen since probably Solar Walk. (cinema)

For a big movie fan such as myself it is, in hindsight quite strange id never watched The Usual Suspects especially as it's my type of movie, even though I knew of the twist at the end which is well documented it was a quite brilliant watch, Kevin Spacey really is a fantastic actor, such a shame he turned out to be a massive sex pest.

Violent Playground (1958)

Set in post-war Liverpool, rock n roll is taking a hold among the youth of the day, young Johnny Murphy (David McCallum) runs a gang, causing havoc on their sink estate. Dad's away at sea, Mum's pissed off to London, it's only the older sister trying to taking care of the 2 younger Murphy twins who've started stealing etc. A policeman (Stanley Baker) is appointed child laison officer & takes an interest in the situation, along with a local priest (Peter Cushing). An arson storyline also runs parallel to the main story. Decent enough movie, a snapshot of grimy 1950's Liverpool & it must have caused a stir at the time, especially the tense climax of the film.

6/10