What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Serenity

So Sky have now put a movie out today in the cinema and on Sky itself. So I thought I'd give it a whirl. Where to fucking start with this. I usually always start with performances so let's start with that I guess as I'd say it's the movie's undoubted success. Not worth singling anyone out, other than Jason Clarke, who's sort of 2D arsehole doesn't really give him much to work with. Then onto the plot... which starts in a fairly basic place and you think you know what the deal is, that doesn't last. Despite the basics of the plot being pretty simple at the first glance, the weirdness is still there to see. Both in the weird performances, and the actual location itself, and some wee guy with glasses that keeps popping up from the very beginning. I won't say much more than that. What I will say is that I got a kick out of the weirdness of it right off the bat. The first scenes with McConaughey and Hounsou and their "clients" is great fun despite being completely mental.

I'm willing to go thumbs a bit on up on this one, but I get the sense a lot of people are going to HATE this.

6/10

Get Out is even better after two or three watches.
I'm sure I meant to watch this back in the day but totally forgot. Will I like it?

The Wife.
Not usually my kind of film but gave it a look after the Oscar kerfuffle as id never heard of it. It was OK but nothing special and passed a couple of hours. I'll give an extra point for Close's daughter who is a definite wid.....7/10

(54-55)

Instant Family 8/10

Went to watch this today. It was absolutely bloody lovely. I laughed, I cried, it was really really good. (cinema)

Burning 7.5/10

Korean film based on a Murakami short story...some top notch film making here, starts off as an intriguing but fairly straightforward character study with no significant plot and then morphs in to something else entirely. Bit heavy on the wanking but apart from that v good. (DVD)

Fighting with my family

Feel good wrestling flick, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Fairly predictable plot but very funny and well acted, with a hilarious turn from Nick Frost, who has somehow managed to pull Cersei Lannister. It's the true story of the diva wrestler Paige. Can't say I'm a huge wrestling fan but it seems fairly true to life and is an official WWE production so the Wrestlemania/RAW scenes are fairly impressive. Would recommend

I'm sure I meant to watch this back in the day but totally forgot. Will I like it?

It seems like the type of thing that pretty much everyone would like: funny, good characters, flies by, pertinent. Re-watching it makes you realise that it's a much better film than the good social commentary it initially appears to be.

Burning 7.5/10
Korean film based on a Murakami short story...some top notch film making here, starts off as an intriguing but fairly straightforward character study with no significant plot and then morphs in to something else entirely. Bit heavy on the wanking but apart from that v good. (DVD)

How'd you get this on DVD already?

8 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Amazon has its release date as May?
I'm willing to swap my copy of the 2002 masterpiece Scooby-Doo: The Movie for your copy of Burning?

Blu-Ray I pre-ordered (region 1) was supposed to be 5th March.  Not the first time I’ve had something drop through a few days early though. 

Edited by Christophe

(56)

Cane Toads: The Conquest 8/10

Really funny and good documentary about how the introduction of the cane toads to Australia has been a menace. Used loads of different fictional styles to tell what could be a very dry story in a novel way. Features a toad being put on a live firework. (YouTube)

Abducted in Plain Sight - jawdropping Netflix documentary about the grooming of a young girl and her family in the '70s. Genuinely needs to be seen to be believed, in so much as the girl's parents are impossibly credulous. In fact, they're so insurmountably dense and malleable that I don't actually believe their story, but equally I can't think of a decent reason why they'd make it up.

Fyre - Netflix documentary about the ill-fated Fyre Festival. Bit of a game-of-two-halves, with the first being a surreal look at real-life Nathan Barley types, who perform meaningless jobs for absolute nobodies, all of whom inexplicably contrive to be wealthy. There's entertainment to be had in the second half, when a bunch of rich kids find themselves stranded at the titular upper-crust music festival with little in the way of home comforts, but frankly the resultant chaos is a tad disappointing. There'd be a decent horror film to be made from this story if you had the influencers and trust fund brats gradually turning to urophagia and cannibalism to survive. Class.

Hampstead (Netflix)

Only chose it because Brendan Gleeson was in it. Would have chosen something else after 10 minutes but Mrs Grumpy insists on seeing a film through to the end, however bad, even when she knows what she's watching is bad. 

Avoid this film unless you want to drown in a sea of treacle, sugar and golden syrup. 

Abducted in Plain Sight - jawdropping Netflix documentary about the grooming of a young girl and her family in the '70s. Genuinely needs to be seen to be believed, in so much as the girl's parents are impossibly credulous. In fact, they're so insurmountably dense and malleable that I don't actually believe their story, but equally I can't think of a decent reason why they'd make it up.
Fyre - Netflix documentary about the ill-fated Fyre Festival. Bit of a game-of-two-halves, with the first being a surreal look at real-life Nathan Barley types, who perform meaningless jobs for absolute nobodies, all of whom inexplicably contrive to be wealthy. There's entertainment to be had in the second half, when a bunch of rich kids find themselves stranded at the titular upper-crust music festival with little in the way of home comforts, but frankly the resultant chaos is a tad disappointing. There'd be a decent horror film to be made from this story if you had the influencers and trust fund brats gradually turning to urophagia and cannibalism to survive. Class.
Netflix thread for this pish as the saying here goes...

(58)

Wild Rose 7.5/10

Screen Unseen showing, a story about a young single mother (Jessie Buckley) who’s been in jail for chucking heroin over into another jail, who dreams of making it in Nashville as a Country (NOT Country and Western!) singer. Julie Walters is brilliant as the long-suffering granny who has been looking after the kids for the last year - they barely acknowledge their mum when she reappears. It’s a lovely film about balancing chasing your dreams with accepting your responsibilities, and while at one or two points it did ALMOST lose me with some seemingly preposterous plot developments, the film addresses them in a way which isn’t trite or forced, and it pulled me back in. Even though Country is not a genre I enjoy, the songs here were very pleasant and drew a tear or two. There was a nice if somewhat cringeworthy cameo from Bob Harris. (cinema) 

Fighting With My Family

Went to see this to cheer me up after this afternoon's soccer debacle. And cheer me up it did. I knew a fair whack of the story beforehand, but that didn't affect my enjoyment. Thought Florence Pugh was excellent as Paige, and Nick Frost was brilliant as her dad. Two odd bits though - was the nickname The Rock called Vince Vaughn's character a subtle nod to some Paige antics? And Zelina Vega playing AJ Lee was just plain weird!

Fighting With My Family
Went to see this to cheer me up after this afternoon's soccer debacle. And cheer me up it did. I knew a fair whack of the story beforehand, but that didn't affect my enjoyment. Thought Florence Pugh was excellent as Paige, and Nick Frost was brilliant as her dad. Two odd bits though - was the nickname The Rock called Vince Vaughn's character a subtle nod to some Paige antics? And Zelina Vega playing AJ Lee was just plain weird!
Did a quick wiki search of Paige after it and the 'sex tape' thing immediately made sense

I heartily enjoyed it. Was surprised at how much Knight family baggage was made known. Especially the Roy stuff. No holding back on anything. 

A lot of belting UK wrestling cameos in there. One for fans and non fans to enjoy.

The sextape reference was majestic. Worked in the context of the movie as a standalone gag and works as an injoke for fans too. Very well played.