What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

If Beale Street Could Talk (2019):
Very colourful, great score, great performances. I just felt that there was something missing, something I couldn't get into. This could be rectified with a re-watch (there were a few greats from last year that wasn't big on).

Bohemian Rhapsody

Phone battery gave out on a flight and had read all my books so watched this. Much better than expected. I've no interest in Queen or their music (though I liked their stuff on the Iron Eagle and Highlander soundtracks when I was a kid). Could have done with shorter scenes of the actual music but thought May, Freddie & co were a decent watch.

Like the recent Bros documentary it can be good to just chuck yourself into a film about a band you really have no interest in. Being invested in a music film can really skew your enjoyment of it for good or bad. I loved NWA as a kid and thought the film Straight Outta Compton was pretty shite, If you want an interesting programme about that period then BBC 4 is currently showing The Defiant Ones - infinitely better and wilder as it's the truth, rather than a sanitized ego trip. 

Can You Ever Forgive Me?

Again, on a plane. I'm a big Richard E Grant fan but not sure what here merits an Oscar nomination. 

Melissa McCarthy is a pretty manky, down on her luck writer. Gets into forgeries to make ends meet. Teams up with Richard E Grant. Falls out with him. Not much else happens. McCarthy is very good but E Grant didn't do a huge amount. Chuffed for him to get the recognition though. Something that happens to his character late in the film is probably Oscar bait, showing that they care about "big issues". 

(44-45)

How To Train Your Dragon 5/10

Fine, absolutely fine for what it was. Looked brilliant. Did cry a bit at the end which was much better than the rest of the film. (Netflix) 

How I Felt When I Saw That Girl 9/10

If you told me when I was 17 that one day I’d go to the cinema and watch a Bollywood rom-com pseudo-farce tangentially about the lesbian experience in India, and absolutely love it, I would have kicked you in the balls and punched you in the throat. But here I am. I was in tears at the end, it was just so lovely, funny, daft, deft, serious and pretty. I doubt anyone else will see it but I’d be fascinated to see what other think. (cinema)

Free Solo

Alex Honnold attempts to climb the 3,200 foot El Capitan Wall in Yosemite National Park without ropes or safety gear in this National Geographic documentary. Most of the film is his story and the build up to the attempt before the last 20 minutes which is the climb itself. He comes across as quite a complex character and his girlfriend is a pain in the ass who has to analyse everything and obviously wants to change him. The camera work during the climb is breathtaking and I was glad it didn't last longer. Even the camera guys on the ground found it hard to watch......8/10. 

Ace Ventura: Pet Detective

This film was a treasured favorite of mine, not surprising given I was 8 when it came out some 25 years ago. I still think it's hilarious, there's a lot I didn't understand when I viewed it the first time as a naive youth - not least the sub-plot involving a transsexual character - but it's a brief movie at 85 minutes and the old catchphrases and mannerisms that Jim Carrey puts into the performance still make me smile. Its probably because it reminds me of a simpler time in my life but its a movie that just makes me happy.

This film was a treasured favorite of mine, not surprising given I was 8 when it came out some 25 years ago. I still think it's hilarious, there's a lot I didn't understand when I viewed it the first time as a naive youth - not least the sub-plot involving a transsexual character - but it's a brief movie at 85 minutes and the old catchphrases and mannerisms that Jim Carrey puts into the performance still make me smile. Its probably because it reminds me of a simpler time in my life but its a movie that just makes me happy.
Plus it's got the almighty Cannibal Corpse!

Carrey is magnificent in it; I absolutely love that film.

13 hours ago, Crroma said:

9 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Plus it's got the almighty Cannibal Corpse!

Carrey is magnificent in it; I absolutely love that film.

“If I’m not back in five minutes, just wait longer”

:lol: 

Ace Ventura is brilliant. So mentally stupid and juvenile yet undeniably hilarious.

I can't mind where I read it (must have been Empire or Total Film) but someone said that Carey's performance in it was one of the bravest he's ever seen since Carey had to be 'on' all the time.

For, I think the first time, I’ve watched all the Best Picture nominees before the actual Oscar ceremony.

How I’d rate them in order:

1) Green Book
2) BlacKkKlansman
3) Roma
4) Bohemian Rhapsody
5) The Favourite
6) Vice
7) A Star Is Born
8) Black Panther

Downfall. Is this Bruno Ganz’s best performance? It’s a fantastic film, and he’s terrific. I’ll follow it up with Wings of Desire (featuring Columbo) for a change of pace.

Edited to add: Alexandra Maria Lara ought to be in this more.

5 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Downfall. Is this Bruno Ganz’s best performance? It’s a fantastic film, and he’s terrific. I’ll follow it up with Wings of Desire (featuring Columbo) for a change of pace.

Edited to add: Alexandra Maria Lara ought to be in this more.

I've not seen much of him admittedly, but that was an incredible performance.

The Party is a cracking later showing from him in a very entertaining movie.

(46-47)

Wathed a couple of slow cinema films for this morning’s class

Kaili Blues 7/10

Set in rural Taiwan, a man searches for his nephew, a musician. The high point is an unbroken 45 minute take of the man’s journey from village to village on a moped, in the back of a pick-up, and then on a boat across a lagoon. Show, metaphysical, beautiful, but not without humours. (Amazon Prime)

Post Tenebras Lux 6/10

Saw a film called Silent Light by this Mexican director (Reygadas) in 2006 when it came out and wondered where he’d got to. He made this, among other things, a story of a wealthy family who move off-grid to a rural valley. Things fall apart, but slowly, and beautifully, with lots of animals gazing mournfully on. There’s a magical realism/folklore aspect when an animated devil turns up that I wasn’t mad keen on. Great to look at but I can’t say I’ll be thinking about it next week. (YouTube)

On 20/02/2019 at 22:47, Sooky said:

For, I think the first time, I’ve watched all the Best Picture nominees before the actual Oscar ceremony.

How I’d rate them in order:

2) BlacKkKlansman

We watched it the other night, probably worth watching just for the five minutes at the end. 

Watched Green book last night and highly recommend it to anyone, if it was a choice between BlackKKKlansman and Green Book i would prob go for Green book although worth a watch, Bohemian Rhapsody wasn't too bad but i think the film was over hyped though.

Never been in such an eerily silent theatre before  
Yeah, I hadn't heard anything about the ending either, so it was completely shocking, almost jarring. The very final image is pretty simple but I don't think the ending would be the same without it.