What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Hereditary - surprisingly intense and creepy horror story about the aftermath of a family's matriarch's death. Toni Collette's excellent as the daughter, and has a terrific support cast around her.  Particularly enjoyed the multiple interpretations of the plot too.

A couple of films watched since last week....

(13)

Escape Room  1/10

Not the new thing at the cinema with he same name. This is a 2017 straight to video type effort. But the name caught my eye so gave it a go...Usual thing, sub Saw rubbish, no likeable characters.

There’s actually a bit where a couple are making out while being sprayed with sulphuric acid and they don’t notice until their hair falls out and their lips fall off

Utter utter garbage. (Netflix)

Me and the wife watched this last Saturday, and just wow, what an absolute crock of shi*e.

A terrible tribute to saw.

SPOILER.....

how come the main guy can solve the puzzles almost instantly.

An absolute train wreck

1/10.

Started to watch the new Mary Poppins on Saturday there whilst eating our dinner.....

It got put off about 30 mins in.

Absolute sh#te.

Songs are sh*te

Acting, sh*te

That idiot who plays the "Dick van Dyke" character, guess what..... Sh*te.

1/10.

We then stuck on Creed 2, which was a welcome break from poor films. Typical rocky fare

(Spoiler....) With the whole "takes a pounding, retrains, training sequences, inspiring music, cue rematch"

Really enjoyed it, especially the intro to the original rocky music at the climax of the desert training camp.

Would watch again 6.5/10

Fucking hell, how about actual spoiler tags? Or at least some more space under the spoiler alert?

11 hours ago, jimmy boo said:

The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas. Watched this a few years ago and on BBC2 tonight. Got to be a 10/10....so powerful.

Whilst this is an excellent film it's not one I could watch again.

That could be a thread on its own; good films that you'll never watch again. I'd imagine folk would have a multitude of reasons.

Also could serve as a warning, in some cases  :shutup

Isle of Dogs the worst Wes Anderson film I've seen, which means its still pretty decent. Looks great, has a brilliant cast and the soundtrack is seriously good. However, the plot is seriously wafer thin. Still a fun watch.

7/10

Three Billboards out of Ebbing, Missouri Good performances from Harrelson, McDormand (when is she not good) and Rockwell but it's not quite what it's been hyped up to be. 

7/10

4 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

That idiot who plays the "Dick van Dyke" character, guess what..... Sh*te.

1/10.

You can think what you want about Lin-Manuel Miranda's work, but he certainly couldn't ever be described as an 'idiot'. Not a great performance from him in this instance though.

Edited by The Real Saints

You can think what you want about Lin-Manuel Miranda's work, but he certainly couldn't ever be described as an 'idiot'. Not a great performance from him in this instance though.
I'll be 100% honest, I have no idea who he is and didn't recognise him from anything I've seen, but I'm not a film buff by any means and films I watch are usually something the Mrs fancies (usually horror) or something family friendly for the kids to watch too.
The wee fella (4 y.o) has developed a mad obsession with Freddy Kreuger and "James" as he calls him (Jason Vorhees) so me and him have watched a couple of F.T 13th films while the Mrs has been out.

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Fucking hell, how about actual spoiler tags? Or at least some more space under the spoiler alert?

Whilst this is an excellent film it's not one I could watch again.

I started watching it again recently with someone who had never seen it. I gave up halfway through because I knew what was coming, and I knew I couldn't take it.

9 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

I'll be 100% honest, I have no idea who he is and didn't recognise him from anything I've seen, but I'm not a film buff by any means and films I watch are usually something the Mrs fancies (usually horror) or something family friendly for the kids to watch too.
The wee fella (4 y.o) has developed a mad obsession with Freddy Kreuger and "James" as he calls him (Jason Vorhees) so me and him have watched a couple of F.T 13th films while the Mrs has been out.

early candidate for father of the year

early candidate for father of the year
the wee boy finds the horror stuff hilarious, at no point during it is he scared. If he even gave a hint of fear I'd stick it off, but we've watched about 3 of the films. (Over a 2 month period and during the day)
I'd rather he grew up laughing about stuff like that than be scared of a film.

12 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

the wee boy finds the horror stuff hilarious, at no point during it is he scared. If he even gave a hint of fear I'd stick it off, but we've watched about 3 of the films. (Over a 2 month period and during the day)
I'd rather he grew up laughing about stuff like that than be scared of a film.

Bringing up the next Ted Bundy ^^^^

(23-27)

Alien Resurrection 1.5/10

The fourth film in the series starts with a group of space bandits arriving abroad a secretive army science vessel somewhere outside of the army’s jurisdiction...The film in terms of the elevator pitch: Ripley did indeed die at the end of A3 - but 200 years later has been...resurrected...as part of an army-led Space Mengele human/alien fusion program (Weyland-Yutani is no more). The spark for action is a group of ne’er-do-well criminals who can’t help but meddle, who come aboard just as Ripley is regaining sentience and as the incubated aliens appear to be learning ideas that might spring them from captivity. The first fifteen minutes are completely fine in terms of setting things up - on the army side there’s a classic Incompetent Leader and a couple of Obsequious Flunkies and a whole host of Austere Nazi Science Types whilst the criminals feature Wiseacre Leader, Bigmouth Meathead (Ron Perlman), Sexy Woman (Winona Ryder), Cool Black Guy and a guy who falls outside of easy tropes played by Dominique Piñon who is a shirt grizzled techie in a wheelchair. Troubling is that Sigourney Weaver is playing Ripley with a lot of extra sass, now with alien ESP. Weaver was paid $11m to get on board with this after holding out and even with the ENTIRE BUDGET OF THE ORIGINAL FILM in her back pocket, she plays it maybe 25% of the emotional impact of the worst moments in Alien 3. The only character-consistent things here are the aliens and even they become goofballs. More later. Easily the dumbest film in the entire Alien canon, Resurrection is horrible from a particular moment about 15 minutes in right up to its conclusion 94 minutes later, even though it feels like 3hrs. That moment is this: Ripley is playing basketball to keep fit in her semi-captivity. Ron Perlman swaggers onto her court to try and get sexy with her. She dribbles the ball around him a few times and then wallops him across the court with a single wrist flick. One of Perlman's mates has a go at her (even though he attacked her first) and she takes a mic stand to the face with nary a grimace. She then strolls off, smugly, but not before nailing a perfect no-look three-pointer. WTF. OK. So the point is that Ripley is effectively a Daenerys-esque Mother Of Aliens now and has some of their DNA. Aside from it killing the idea that Ripley is in trouble (she exec. produces this, “no way am I running around ruining my make-up again”, she decides) because the aliens won’t touch one of their own, it ruins any real sense of danger. Worse, this Boss Level Ripley intro sets off a chain of dumb “appeal-to-the-kids” gimmickry that made me feel I was getting stupider as the film went on. For example: after Winona Ryder (playing a robot, but we don’t know it yet) gets caught going into Ripley’s cell, the whole bandit crew are arrested (apparently it’s fine to fraternise with inmates on the court but not in their quarters) and held at gunpoint by various army dudes. Then two stupid things happen: i) One army dude grazes Ron Perlman briefly so he turns and grabs his gun off him and is like “don’t fuckin’ touch me!” and then THROWS THE GUN BACK TO HIM. ii) They escape as the Cool Black Guy (a weapons expert) fires a shot up into the air that rebounds off two surfaces and kills one of the guards. f**k OFF. They do the ricocheting bullet thing again later on. I groaned so hard my neighbour’s kid started banging on the floor. It would be a painful write and a boring read to list everything really stupid in this parade of action cliche. There’s guns and bombs and all sorts of tech when Alien and Alien 3 made a brilliant virtue of how absolutely fucked they were. Aliens showed just how impotent you still were even if you have a bunch of guns. Now the guns are cool and a bit stronger so who gives a shit that there’s like 12 aliens? However, a couple of things of the really poor need mentioning. There’s a painful contrived underwater scene where they are chased by an underwater alien, wtf, (here is where some turbonerd tells me that err actually underwater aliens are perfectly reasonable in this situation) that most of them survive despite being underwater for at least two minutes of (compressed) cinema time. And then there’s this monstrosity: 

EC78C952-82DE-4013-B7CE-77A07A6ED496.jpeg.6db211a011bcc89bf911fbcdbba497ce.jpeg

That, my friends, is the sad son of Ripley, making a LOVE ME PLEASE face to Ripley after murdering the alien queen. That’s right, the next stage of evolution from Giger-esque Brutishness is for these creatures is to turn into Derek. But by the time he comes around, I was long past caring. The film is acknowledged to be a stinker by Joss Whedon, who wrote it. He says of the final film directed by Jeunet: 

“It wasn’t a question of doing everything differently, although they changed the ending. It was mostly a matter of doing everything wrong. They said the lines – mostly – but they said them all wrong. And they cast it wrong. And they designed it wrong. And they scored it wrong. They did everything wrong that they could possibly do. There’s actually a fascinating lesson in filmmaking, because everything that they did reflects back to the script or looks like something from the script, and people assume that, if I hated it, then they’d changed the script – but it wasn’t so much that they’d changed the script, it’s that they just executed it in such a ghastly fashion as to render it almost unwatchable.”

I have some sympathy here. It was badly cast - Winona Ryder is just not credible here even with minimal action. So many of the cast are anonymous too, like this random vanilla space marine who just turns up like 2/3rd into the film for NO REASON. It was badly designed - there are none of the iconic Giger visions or anything unique. It just looks like a TV movie on a big 90s set. Jeunet is all wrong for this film. The little face-front close-ups  and slapstick moments are great for Amelie and Micmacs, but not for this. But the writing is an absolute abundance of both “telling” and “showing” far too much. These fucking nerds talk talk talk and no situation gets by without yelling (there is a lot of excited yelling) to all of the six year olds in the room where the story is going to next, despite being an 18 certificate and presumably aimed at ADULTS. There isn’t even a good cool like like NO WAY MAN GAME OVER MAN. Just talking talking talking to get to the exposition exposition exposition. The ending is that a bunch of them - Perlman, Piñon, Ripley and Ryder - get out and make it back to earth. With Gaia reflecting in the windshield of the bandit vessel, there’s a painful “screenwriting class symbolism” to close out still the greates quadrilogy of them all: 

RYDER: “Earth...it’s beautiful...but what happens next?”

RIPLEY: “I don’t know...I’m a stranger here myself”

END CREDITS f**k OFF (DVD)

P.S.

On the website Critics Den they were as disdainful of this as I am, except they picked one particular scene as ‘the scene of ridiculousness’ - for me it was the most tangibly emotional moment in the film. I’ll let them describe it: 

“Scene of Ridiculousness: I can only pick one? Fine. Ripley-8 stumbles upon a lab holding all of the genetic experiments before her. One is alive, although extremely mutated, and begs Ripley to kill her. Ripley does, but not with a nice humane gunshot to the head. Oh, no. You want to ease someone’s suffering? Burn them alive with a flamethrower. It’s at least less painful than… well, being slowly roasted for a few hours.”

You see, you have to roast them alive beacuse of the threat of imminent contagion by the incubating alien. The series has taught us this. But in bigger terms, it was a genuine moment where the human cost of things seemed to hit home and suggest some kind of value. It has a real horror and grotesqueness that the film lacks. But in the course of the film it was played as a cheap stunt and people get more emotional about Ryder, a robot that survives.

Au Poste 7.5/10

More madness from cinematic prankster Quentin Dupieux aka Mr Oizo, who very much looks like a French Joe Wilkinson. This guy is becoming one of my fav directors. (Mubi)

Stars of the Roller State Disco 8/10

This is brilliant. The scene with the car is amazing. I really rated it. Such a simple but brilliant concept. (DVD)

Krrish 6/10

It got a lorra laughs in class but I don’t think it’s meant to be terribly postmodern as such. I enjoyed it though even though it’s long and very tiring, just action scene after action scene. Don’t think you’re meant to watch films like this in one go though. (Netflix)

If Beale Street Could Talk 7/10

Beale Street is a road in New Orleans. It’s a black area. There’s a Beale Street in every major city in the US. This film is what Beale Street would say if Beale Street could talk. The racial politics are obvious and hardly need remarking on here. The film was visually astonishing. Every single scene, whether it’s a Harlem redbrick, a basement flat, a prison visiting room, a Puerto Rican slum, a NYC abandoned warehouse - every scene has an absolutely gorgeous colour palette. The performances were just great across the board. The lead is a young pregnant girl, her boyfriend is next up; their families; the male lead’s friend...every single one is perfect. The male lead is practically framed for rape. I don’t want to talk anymore about the plot. It’s just gorgeous though. (cinema) 

Vice

Had to keep reminding myself at various bits throughout this that it was in fact Batman playing Cheney.

A very well acted film that is none too subtle in its scathing approach. With Tronald Dump in office, it's sometimes easy to forget how much of a clusterfuck the Bush administration was and how many absolute scumbags ran riot in the corridors of power. The scary thing is, you don't doubt too much of it in terms of accuracy.