What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

12 minutes ago, Principal Flutie said:

No. Saying "nobody would care" isn't an opinion. It's trying to belittle the opinions of others to try and make your own more plausible. It's ignorant at best and arrogant at worst.

5 minutes ago, Principal Flutie said:

People trying to make their opinions something more than they are will always shit in my cornflakes.

The ironing is delicious.

34 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Put me in the anti-The Favourite crowd.

A typical Awards-buzz type film that's average at best, and if it wasn't directed by one of the current indie-esque darlings, no-one would give a single f**k, other than the fact Emma Stone gets her chebs out.

takemymoney.jpg

15 minutes ago, Principal Flutie said:

If you could explain the hypocrisy, that'd be great.

I don't go looking for your posts but from what I've read, you do the same thing: state an opinion as if it's some sort of absolute fact.

I mean, nearly everyone does it on the internet so it's a strange thing to pick up on.

I say things are shite and good. But I don't ever project opinions onto other people to try and make them more valid. If Mark decides to say "that was shite", then that's cool. It's shite. Might not agree but it is what it is. But that's not the same as then saying what someone else should or would think.

I'll need to see that, Green Book and Vice. Gonna give Roma a re-watch too as I was grumpy when I saw it - long live multi-platform releases.
I found last year's selections really great but this year's a bit alright.

I loved Green Book. A bit too light on the heavier subjects, but it made it an absolute breeze to sit through. Was mainly focused on just being entertaining, which is no bad thing at all. Played to Farrelly's strengths too being more of a comedy than a drama.

I get why folk really disagree with awards (comparing Black Panther, Bohemian Rhapsody and Roma is flawed, it's mostly rewarding already rich white men etc), but I must admit that I enjoy picking a film and backing it, and they can help promote smaller films/filmmakers such as Lady Bird and CMBYN last year.

2 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Put me in the anti-The Favourite crowd.

A typical Awards-buzz type film that's average at best, and if it wasn't directed by one of the current indie-esque darlings, no-one would give a single f**k, other than the fact Emma Stone gets her chebs out.

I think the favourite will always split the audience. There's an almost Paul Thomas Anderson feel about Yorgos Lanthimos and his movies in that they really do split people into either love or hate. They're not similar stylistically at all obviously, just the reactions are very rarely lukewarm.

I went to see Beautiful Boy last night because of the Oscar buzz around Carrell and Chalamet. Neither were nominated I see so an early evening well spent :rolleyes:

I thought this was just alright. The performances from both lead actors probably drag this up a couple of points. The film felt both slow and rushed at the same time.  Rushed in the respect you don't really see the  descent into addiction beyond a 'montage' and it seemed to skip through passages of time and plunk you into scenes without context and slow in that the film took forever to really get anywhere.

This is the stereotypical Oscar bait kind of film that doesn't quite hit the right beats. It's watchable, the performances are excellent but I don't think the film is as well made as it could be. Probably could've used an edit and I'd probably remove the stuff about him childhood because it didn't really serve a purpose in the movie.

5/10 (cinema)

The Upside I found much more enjoyable a movie going experience. Much more upbeat, much more coherent and I think it's the first time I've been impressed with Kevin Hart the actor, not Kevin Hart the comedian. He delivers his usual one liners but he felt believable with a clearly intelligent character who had made some poor life choices (sometimes through necessity) and was trying to make amends for them. I really enjoyed the chemistry between Hart and Cranston. There's loads of films like this out there - an unlikely carer taking care of a reluctant and difficult caree - but it's definitely worth your time more than Beautiful Boy.

7/10 (cinema)

Edit:

Given how much I've been looking forward to it, I'm shocked I forgot to mention Mary Queen of Scots.

I really enjoyed this. I'm sure historians are rolling their eyes at some of the scenes and set ups but it's a highly entertaining political/period drama. The motivations of all characters were clear and played brilliantly by the entire cast - Ronan and Robbie were as good as you'd expect and I felt David Tennant was a brilliantly loathsome John Knox - and the story moved along at just the right pace. In terms of the history, the only gripe I really have is how sympathetic an airing Elizabeth seems to get. I know there's a strong theme of sisterhood all the way through the movie, but to put all of what Elizabeth did to wrong Mary on her advisers isn't really fair. Saoirse Ronan's Scottish accent is very good.

8/10

Edited by Kyle

1 minute ago, accies1874 said:

I get why folk really disagree with awards (comparing Black Panther, Bohemian Rhapsody and Roma is flawed, it's mostly rewarding already rich white men etc), but I must admit that I enjoy picking a film and backing it, and they can help promote smaller films/filmmakers such as Lady Bird and CMBYN last year.

Lady Bird is a tremendous movie and not just because I'm a pure Greta Gerwig fanboy. 

Really chuffed BlacKkKLansman has a best picture nomination. Rachel Weisz as best supporting actress too - thought she was fantastic.

I get how you could dislike The Favourite if you went along expecting something else. The missus and I had re-watched Dogtooth a few days before so were well aware of the director's style and humour. I've heard a few folk going along thinking it was going to be some historical epic. 

The Favourite is probably his most accessible work, although the offbeat style is still there. His previous works are lessons in awkwardness. I thought it worked perfectly with The Killing of a Sacred Deer. Especially Barry Keoghan's unhinged performance.

19 hours ago, Kyle said:

I think the favourite will always split the audience. There's an almost Paul Thomas Anderson feel about Yorgos Lanthimos and his movies in that they really do split people into either love or hate. They're not similar stylistically at all obviously, just the reactions are very rarely lukewarm.

I went to see Beautiful Boy last night because of the Oscar buzz around Carrell and Chalamet. Neither were nominated I see so an early evening well spent :rolleyes:

I thought this was just alright. The performances from both lead actors probably drag this up a couple of points. The film felt both slow and rushed at the same time.  Rushed in the respect you don't really see the  descent into addiction beyond a 'montage' and it seemed to skip through passages of time and plunk you into scenes without context and slow in that the film took forever to really get anywhere.

This is the stereotypical Oscar bait kind of film that doesn't quite hit the right beats. It's watchable, the performances are excellent but I don't think the film is as well made as it could be. Probably could've used an edit and I'd probably remove the stuff about him childhood because it didn't really serve a purpose in the movie.

5/10 (cinema)

The Upside I found much more enjoyable a movie going experience. Much more upbeat, much more coherent and I think it's the first time I've been impressed with Kevin Hart the actor, not Kevin Hart the comedian. He delivers his usual one liners but he felt believable with a clearly intelligent character who had made some poor life choices (sometimes through necessity) and was trying to make amends for them. I really enjoyed the chemistry between Hart and Cranston. There's loads of films like this out there - an unlikely carer taking care of a reluctant and difficult caree - but it's definitely worth your time more than Beautiful Boy.

7/10 (cinema)

Edit:

Given how much I've been looking forward to it, I'm shocked I forgot to mention Mary Queen of Scots.

I really enjoyed this. I'm sure historians are rolling their eyes at some of the scenes and set ups but it's a highly entertaining political/period drama. The motivations of all characters were clear and played brilliantly by the entire cast - Ronan and Robbie were as good as you'd expect and I felt David Tennant was a brilliantly loathsome John Knox - and the story moved along at just the right pace. In terms of the history, the only gripe I really have is how sympathetic an airing Elizabeth seems to get. I know there's a strong theme of sisterhood all the way through the movie, but to put all of what Elizabeth did to wrong Mary on her advisers isn't really fair. Saoirse Ronan's Scottish accent is very good.

8/10

Did Mary not spend most of her formative years in France?

1 hour ago, renton said:

Did Mary not spend most of her formative years in France?

She did yes - the film isn’t exactly brilliant for historical accuracy but big Saoirse’s attempt at our accent is very good nonetheless.