What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

(12)

Colette 8.5/10

I have never been a fan of period costume dramas, and I went to see this simply because with my Unlimited card, the more films I see the less each one cost, it was absolutely BRILLIANT. It felt so modern. Dominic West was absolutely fantastic as the arrogant, charismatic, yet slightly scared publisher; his young wife is actually a better writer than him. Keira Knightly is splendid as the lead, and it’s easy to dismiss her performance. It’s absolutely brilliant, it evokes so many issues, I mean I can’t explain this without spoiling. I mean there’s sexual politics and this is fin de ciecle. I LOVED it, and I’m not someone who has ever enjoyed period dramas. Prior to The Favourite anyway. (cinema)

Beautiful Boy...7/10.

Steve Carell plays a father trying to support his son overcome a crystal meth addiction. A bit bleak at times but good performances all round and worth a watch. The Guardian didn't like it due to the family being white so all the better.

On 1/16/2019 at 18:04, Christophe said:

(11)

Vice 7/10

This was the Screen Unseen showing on Monday night - Adam McKay’s follow up to The Big Short (which I haven’t seen yet). It’s another example of Christian Bale’s odd obsession with total body transformation. I really enjoyed it at the time but some doubts have crept in now. I won’t spoil anything because I expect a fair few of you will be going to see this. It’s certainly very interesting at the very least. I will say that this film is the most egregious example of Steve Carell (in this case, Donald Rumsfeld) just totally being Michael Scott, it’s endearing and grating at the same time. (cinema)

I never thought I'd be able to say the sentence "Christian Bale looks like a young Chevy Chase".

American Made

The clearly exaggerated story of Barry Seal, who was a pilot who flitted between transporting ching for Escobar and guns for the CIA, becoming minted in the process. Quite funny and I liked the political background to it.

Moana

Can say without shame that this was a fantastic film. Beautifully animated, banging tunes and great voice acting. Everything you want from Disney. The Rock can hold a tune as well!

Guest Moomintroll

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2 again. I hope when they get the infinity stones back off Thanos they have some sort of nod to bringing Yondu back alongside the other characters.

Watched Fyre on Netflix. A documentary on how the $10,000 ticket music festival in the Bahamas collapsed. Just a bunch of rich, young incompetents making excuses for 90 minutes. Thoroughly entertaining, and you’re delighted that it failed at the end. Everyone involved is insufferable.

The Upside

Decent film overall. Kevin Hart on top form and Cranston is funny too in his own way. Can kinda understand the stooshy over an able bodied actor playing a disabled character but realistically, how many quadriplegic actors are kicking about?

Isle Of Dogs

This was weird as shit. Mental Japanese animated film about a tyrannical mayor who expels all dogs to 'Trash Island' and a wee boy flies there to find his dog.

Interesting, robot chicken style animation mixed in with classic anime. Some not too subtle messages about authoritarian leaders turning the masses against a group, genocide etc.

Very different but enjoyable with some funny dialogue between the dogs (sentences you never thought you'd say)