What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Spider-man: Into the Spider-Verse
Brilliant. The animation is superb, and the story is very cleverly done, with plenty of Spidey-style humour as well as enough tension to keep you right in there.
Real potential for plenty of good sequels and spinoffs too.
Can't wait to see where it goes.

On the topic, it won best animated feature at the Golden Globes

(9-10)

Control 4/10

Rewatched this, loved it at the time, think I was going through a bit of a Factory thing, it’s not entirely unenjoyable but it’s as lifeless and superficial as Anton Corbijns photography, who is coincidentally the director of this film. The woman who plays Curtis’ Belgian bit on the side is a scorcher though. (Amazon Prime)

24hr Party People 7.5/10

Subsequently made me want to rewatch this and confirm it’s the better of the two films. It is. Solid stuff, it doesn’t flinch from certain details, which I like. (YouTube)

Green Book

African American classical pianist hires Italian American New Yorker to be his driver on a tour of the deep south as he anticipates issues with segregation during the early 60's. Heart warming true story as both lead characters overcome their differences and learn from each other. Just noticed Mahershala Ali is in the new series of True Detective.

8/10

Spring 

2014 film from up and coming directorial duo Justin Benson and Aaron Muirhead.

Unusual mash up of indie mumblecore, coming of age holiday romance flick and horror movie. Richard Linklater meets David Cronenberg. Highly rated by Guillermo del Toro, who praised its Lovecraftian influences. 

Must admit I was bored by the first 30 mins or so, which was so clumsily thrown together it could have been directed by Eli Roth. The loudmouth, sweary Brit tourists the protagonist meets when he arrives in Italy were so poorly drawn (and acted) I was ready to switch off there and then. Glad I stuck with it though as it definitely improves as it goes along, though it’s not remotely bothered with trifling encumbrances such as plausibility (both a good thing and a bad thing here).

It turned out to be quite touching, rather eerie, and occasionally a little disquieting. 

7/10.

On 1/6/2019 at 21:27, Christophe said:

Stan & Ollie 5/10

Biopic of the Golden Age greats as they slide into late career decline on a tour around Britain. Ultimately disappointed by this, which I was looking forward to since it was announced, because it comes off like Another BBC Telemovie About Former Comedians. For all the little period details it still comes off as flat and cheap. For a film about two revered comedians (who I like!) it doesn’t make much of a case for their greatness and also nearly all of the laughs are taken from the facsimiles of the old routines. Reilly is fine as Hardy, but Coogan seems stuck in three voices and two minds for his Stan Laurel. Is he a genial Cumbrian man who can’t find the off switch or is he a bitter b*****d? We never really learn. The wives offer some comic relief and he story rattles along economically. But ultimately I wished I’d waited until it inevitably comes on iPlayer in a few months time. (cinema)

I liked it more than yourself albeit it's no classic and very BBC/safe as you say. Rather liked Coogan but I usually do and our own Shirley Henderson is excellent as ever. Enjoyable enough stuff and it's got me checking out some of the original L&H shorts on Youtube which are often hilarious.

gone girl 7/10

seen this before and i really enjoyed it again.

the cobbler 0/10

anyone else seen this? its just awful from start to finish. why on earth would a cobbper randomly decide to put on a customers shoes? indact im not even going to waste more of my life discussing it! its that bad you should BE A WEAR!

(11)

Vice 7/10

This was the Screen Unseen showing on Monday night - Adam McKay’s follow up to The Big Short (which I haven’t seen yet). It’s another example of Christian Bale’s odd obsession with total body transformation. I really enjoyed it at the time but some doubts have crept in now. I won’t spoil anything because I expect a fair few of you will be going to see this. It’s certainly very interesting at the very least. I will say that this film is the most egregious example of Steve Carell (in this case, Donald Rumsfeld) just totally being Michael Scott, it’s endearing and grating at the same time. (cinema)

(11)
Vice 7/10
This was the Screen Unseen showing on Monday night - Adam McKay’s follow up to The Big Short (which I haven’t seen yet). It’s another example of Christian Bale’s odd obsession with total body transformation. I really enjoyed it at the time but some doubts have crept in now. I won’t spoil anything because I expect a fair few of you will be going to see this. It’s certainly very interesting at the very least. I will say that this film is the most egregious example of Steve Carell (in this case, Donald Rumsfeld) just totally being Michael Scott, it’s endearing and grating at the same time. (cinema)
Mulling over going to see this tonight. Unlimited preview at cineworld. It's getting cold outside though and leaving the house doesn't appeal.....

3 hours ago, paul-r-cfc said:
4 hours ago, Christophe said:
(11)
Vice 7/10

Mulling over going to see this tonight. Unlimited preview at cineworld. It's getting cold outside though and leaving the house doesn't appeal.....

Let me know what you thought if you’ve braved it out. I’m in two minds. 

Bros - When The Screaming Stops

Available on demand for free on BBC or Sky. 

I still can’t remember who is Luke and who is Matt. The one with hair who wears a hat is one of the worst c***s you’ll ever come across. Very Spinal Tap. There’s a bit where they are rehearsing singing a song about their late mother. The lyrics are hilariously terrible and the singing would be deemed as OTT if it was a comedy and they were meant to be bad. 

The one who is less of a c**t has a very nice lifestyle by the beach somewhere in California.

Watch it and you’ll want to start a fundraiser for the poor session musicians who feature in much of the film as the two thick arseholes debate their shite song arrangements.

7/10 Hard to believe it’s serious. If it’s remotely tongue in cheek the lads deserve Oscars.

the fan - 7/10

de niro is brilliant in this playing a complete psycho. he has that haunting look in his eye he perfected in taxi. Wesley snipes is also brilliant in this. in fact i cant think of another film hes actually acted well in.

its on amazon prime just now and if you havent already seen it id strongy recommend it

8 hours ago, ah-dee said:

the fan - 7/10

de niro is brilliant in this playing a complete psycho. he has that haunting look in his eye he perfected in taxi. Wesley snipes is also brilliant in this. in fact i cant think of another film hes actually acted well in.

its on amazon prime just now and if you havent already seen it id strongy recommend it

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice skate uphill.